open e hits open b

Want to discuss OPEN electric combat items? Come on in! This is the place.

Moderator: hbartel

slam

Post by slam »

benjammin,

it's a 57, my wife is gonna have my skin if i don't quit building airplanes, and get on with building the car. already have a new mustang II front frame, a/c, suspension, front discs, ls-1 motor with auto, 2003 bonneville leather seats,.....etc. just have to install everything....

so lee.....quit coming up with new planes for me to build!!!!!!!!

at this point we are experimenting with 4 cell emoli's.

gil,
am using a carbon tube for a spar, close to the trailing edge, and a short tube near the leading edge. and i am using a e225 airfoil with 3% washout. the wings are a bear to cut (don't have a cnc machine) with this much taper, the tip gets pretty chattered. am thinking of losing the washout and using vanishing point cut instead of using two templates. just used this technique on a smaller wing and it was pretty effective. can't do any washout with this technique though.

slam
slam

Post by slam »

lee,

taking the fuse off and putting the fuse on every round was not the end of the world, but wasn't much fun.

either the emoli's will stay in the bat during charge, or, if i use lipos, i will come up with a better battery bay. if we stick with lipo's i want to come up with something that protects the battery more from ground impact, adn is able to change batteries easily. i am thinking of making a foam fuse/battery compartment that is sacrificial. probably keep the back of the bat as motor mount/verticle stab. that way we could still adjust c.g. by moving the bat/motor assembly.

slam
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">so lee.....quit coming up with new planes for me to build!!!!!!!!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Sorry Slam, but I work on cars all week long, so my free time is all about airplanes. I use to have a 65 Mustang 2+2 project car, but I got back into CL combat and sold the car after it sat untouched for 10 years.

I understand what you mean about the lipos getting crunched. I`ve smashedtoo many myself. I`m thinking that softer foam like epp as a cushion might work, but the more protection that you give, the less cooling ability that you have. It`s a ballancing act.
BenJammin

Post by BenJammin »

Another question for you slam or drewjet. When you use 4 cells do you use the BEC in the speed control, a seperate BEC or a receiver battery to control the servos?

I would really love to have an E-Open B plane but I'm just too damn cheap to put Lipos up with all the crazy's around here. Emolis, if they work, sound like a great alternative!
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

How many MAH are in the Emoli cells?
slam

Post by slam »

the batteries are 3000mah.

drew was using a external bec because the 60a speed controller he was using didn't have a bec. it is a $30 speed controller, but needs an additional $10 bec. i believe that the castles need a seperate bec for 4s

slam
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

The bec on most esc`s will work on 4 cells but only for 2 servos. I`ve used the bec on my SSC Falcons when using 4 cells, but I did notice some glitches when holding full aileron for multiple rolls. Perhapse one of the servos was bottoming out and was drawing extra current in "stalled" position. I think that a seperate rx battery or a seperate bec circut is a good idea when using 4 cells.
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

The Emolis are actually closer to 2800 MAH. I still need to do more testing with them, but feel that their durability will make up for their extra weight. Slam is right on the ESC. I have used the castle on 4 cells with the built in BEC, but you are pushing it doing that. So far the $10 BEC seems to be doing fine and is a very small weight penalty
BenJammin

Post by BenJammin »

Here he goes again with another quesion...[:I]

What BEC are you using? I've looked around and all I can find cost alot more than $10.

I've got a Feigao 380 12L and an Endoplasma. I would like to buy some Emoli's for them but want to make sure I buy the right stuff.

Thanks again! [;)]
slam

Post by slam »

here is a link to the 65a speed controller, and on the bottom is the bec.

these guys have similar procucts to rchotdeals. we have bought some stuff from them and they were surprisingly fast.
http://www.himodel.com/en/rc_hobby/electric_977.php

slam