Good Combo for E-Open B

Want to discuss OPEN electric combat items? Come on in! This is the place.

Moderator: hbartel

THend

Post by THend »

The one that really got my goat was my order with Tower..they never contacted me regarding the out of stock issue and just figured they'd let the order stand until it could get filled. I was very upset..got my money back, and drove 1/2 hour and bought the YS engine in person.
Pathous

Post by Pathous »

Lee how are you getting power to the reciever?
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

I use a seperate batt to power the Rx. You can see it in the right wing (the yellow thing.

I use two rechargable Li-ion 3V cells in series to get a 6V batt. It`s a 900mah and weighs about 1.3oz.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Here`s a link on my Rx batt.http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?Pa ... ProdID=520

I use a field charger on it`s lowest setting to charge them. It cuts off at around 7v. I recharge them when they get down to about 6.2v. The last quite a while in flight. I`ve flown 8 heats in a contest without recharging, but I check their voltage often.

I`ve been very happy with them this year. At less than $10 for a 6v 900mah they are inexpensive too.

They would work just as well on an IC plane too, of course.
boiler

Post by boiler »

What is the physical size of the cell Lee? Looks like a good space saving, solder saving way to make up Rx packs. I may find some at the Toledo show in April.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

They are aprox 3/4" in dia and about 1.25" long. They are space, solder and weight saving. They can be orderd on-line from the link I gave. Very good service and quick shipping.
gunfighter

Post by gunfighter »

Hey Lee - e-mail me when you get a chance. I need some help electrifying one of my club racers!
chuckstt@gvtc.com
THend

Post by THend »

For the united hobby folks, did you use the international shipping? What value do you place on the contents? I was going to use the less expensive shipping and just claim the actual value of the contents.

Terry
PS Looks like Eagle Tree is back ordered for the e-logger at the moment.
THend

Post by THend »

Well, I ordered all the stuff tonight! Does the motor require an adapter for the props? BTW, I ordered standard props, not E props...the APC 8x4 sport.

I got a promotional offer from Tower...buy $50 worth of goods and get $20 off! Yeeeehaaww, couldn't pass that one up! Got the motor, 3 props, and some OS .15 backplates for the LAs shipped for $40!

I mentioned I was going to have an E Open B plane to my buddies and they REALLY gave me some odd looks. With only one set of batteries at the moment I figured I'd keep it as a back up until I get used to it.

Honestly, I am excited for the wing design can really capitalize on the E concept for setting CG.

Next, got to order the Eagle Tree. BTW, if you are looking at ordering an Eagle Tree data recorder, they have a new version out that has 4x the memory and more functions. Most places still have the legacy version...I'll be ordering from Eagle Tree direct to get the V3.

Regards,

TH
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Good buy Terry! You`ll need a 5mm prop adapter for the motor. I recomend the collet type instead of one that uses set screws.
THend

Post by THend »

Thanks Lee, I figured it needed an adapter. I think I have one, if not no big deal. I got a $75 gift cert for Dymond Hobby down in San Diego! Supposedly, their D60 servos are pretty darn good?

Another week or so of overtime and I will get my life back.

As soon as I get the E-Mako going, I'll post pics, video etc..along with a report on what I think of it all.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Cool. Looking forward to it.
THend

Post by THend »

Waiting on batteries, and some time...everything else is on the bench.

Man, that motor is BEEFY! I had no idea! The ESC is not a wimpy looking device either!

Heat sink just arrived per wifey phone call.

Need those batteries!
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

E-mako... CooL!!!!
THend

Post by THend »

Yeah, it will be pretty cool. I have become very E neutral, and decided to just "do it". If I "do it" then I will certainly have the ability to provide input to the discussions that will have merit. Kinda like, I know because I have been there...

Now, Lee has got me thinking about E for scale combat. The Manta will really benefit from E power due to the clean lines and the ability to shift the batteries to obtain CG. The original Manta had the fuel tank inside the canopy, and it didn't look all too great. There are a few planes that could be built very clean for E power that would be able to run with the nitro planes.

I am at least giving it an honest shot..