Good Combo for E-Open B

Want to discuss OPEN electric combat items? Come on in! This is the place.

Moderator: hbartel

drewjet

Post by drewjet »

"E-Neutral" I love it. We have the Pro-E crowd, The E-Phoebes, and now the E-Neutrals.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Terry, I`m very glad that you are investing some time and money to get "hands on" E experience. It is efforts like yours that will help everyone understand the application of E to combat. The more objective views that we can get, the better it will be for everyone.
Bo_Connolly

Post by Bo_Connolly »

Hey Guys:

For what it is worth...

Shane and I are currently Open B wanta-be's.

This E-Open B setup looks to be more than Shane and I need to run on some of our Open B planes which are forthcoming...

Right now, since I haven't invested alot of money in OS FX 25's, it seems that I can put some dollars into this rig and have the best of both worlds.

I'd like to sign up as E-Neutral [;)]

Take Care,
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">This E-Open B setup looks to be more than Shane and I need to run on some of our Open B planes which are forthcoming...

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Just throttle back.[:D]

Seriously, Bo, you could use a 4s system that would have less power and would be about 4oz lighter, but in reality, this is about what you need to compete in Open B with electrics.
Bo_Connolly

Post by Bo_Connolly »

Hello Lee:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Just throttle back.[:D]

Actually, being able to throttle back a bit and control our speed was one of the advantages of me thinking this is a good way to acclimated ourselves to faster speeds.

Also think it'd be a good stepping stone to get more into Electrics in general. Get more experience with electrics and position for more electric planes to do 3696 Scale and/or 2548 Scale.

Take Care,
Bo_Connolly

Post by Bo_Connolly »

Hello Lee:

Was wondering the following...

How do you modify the ESC to run these batteries in parallel ?

Do you just split out each lead from the ESC to two bullet plugs for each wire going into the ESC ?

What sort of charging system ( field charger and battery ) is necessary to multiple sets of 5S Lipos on the flight line ?

What sort of charger setting (how many amps) are you placing on these packs when you charge them and approximately how long does it take to charge each battery pack ?

Thanks for Your Help,
boiler

Post by boiler »

I don't know the specifics Bo but he sure could have used a pack mule at Boca for his charging equipment.[;)]
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

Hey Lee, can you describe the ESC to me again, do you just splice two wires off of the Battery side of the ESC so that you can plug two batteries in? I don't really understand it, and im not really sure how to ask what im trying to ask either...

Im thinking i might get into open E this year if i have the time to make a wing. Maybe just a simple russian plank will work...

PS, what kind of amps can you expect out of an Open-E combat plane?
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Hey Lee, can you describe the ESC to me again, do you just splice two wires off of the Battery side of the ESC so that you can plug two batteries in? I don't really understand it, and im not really sure how to ask what im trying to ask either...

That`s right. I just splice in an extra + and - lead on the battery side. This is the cleanest most compact way of running two batteries in parallel on my planes. Also this way each plug only has to handle 1/2 of the total amps.

With the setup that I`ve outlined here, I set mine to pull about 50 amps on the ground. This will drop to about 45 in the air.
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

Lee,
Have you found any other engines that will work???
With your experimenting???
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

Lee,
I should have asked if this motor will work for SSC specs, with a Lipo change
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

i would think the motor would work, but you'd have to consider the weight gain over using the slightly smaller 36-40-2250. That motors would also use less voltage to reach spec RPM.

Hobby City has a new Turnigy series of inrunners that match the GP motors in specs, but are $5-$10 cheaper. Tere are always higher priced Megas and Hackers that would work-one would just have to match the specs of the proven motors.

With the price they are, and being able to deal with a company that is at least based in the US, the GP motors weem teh way to go, as long as the prices remain at the level they are. $31.99 for the 2250 for SSC I don't mind paying the extra. For Open B, the price has shot to $69.99, so the Turnigy might be worth getting...

One question I have is since there are no prop requirements in open B, could I not theroetically use a power system that approximates what the .25's do while using the advantages of electrics-ie turning a larger prop slower, or a smaller prop faster?
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

Does that mean a Eflite 25 outrunner???
I dont think an outrunner can compete with an inrunner ( kv )
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Frank I`ve used the 1500 for ssc and it works well on 5s 2200 batts if you don`t mind the weight.

The Turnigy motors are fine for the price, but seem to make a little more heat. I have used some of those too.

Crash, you can power an open B with any motor/prop combo you want as long as it weighs less than 640z when you launch it. No thanks to Monty for that.
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

No, an outrunner wouldn't be able to match the inrunner for RPM, but you could make up for it with prop. Would be like using a 4 stroke engine over a 2 stroke-sure you wouldn't get the RPM, but you're turning a prop greater in both pitch and diameter. And it would probably have to be more powerful than an Eflite 25.

thanks for the info on the Turnigy motors, Lee. Is the heat an issue, or just something to keep an eye on?