Open style airframe with a 3696 power system.

Want to discuss OPEN electric combat items? Come on in! This is the place.

Moderator: hbartel

Lee Liddle

Open style airframe with a 3696 power system.

Post by Lee Liddle »

I`ve been busy with my jets lately, but soon plan to build a simple flying wing style combat plane and use the 3696 power system on it.

I think that this would be a bunch of fun, even if it is not destined for provisional or rulebook status.

There are a bunch of guys who simply won`t build "scale' combat planes. But this power system is so inexpensive and used friendly, I think it needs a more universal airframe for the non-scale guys.

A conventional "open" airframe would be fine too. I just like the "wing" for it`s simplicity and light weight.
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

I was talking to a friend the other day about an Open style combat...what I had thought was a class with 48" max wingspan-this would allow Strykers and most other flying wings to compete-so kit availablity would be no problem. Limit the power system to either 300 watts, or maybe a motor spec-something like any 28mm motor less than the specs of a Mega 16-15-3, and running 6x4 or 5x4 props. Make weight between 18 and 30 oz and go from there. You could have a traditional wing and tail design, or go with a wing. Limit batteries to 3s 2200 styles.

This could aslo be a place for the 1/2a combat ships to go, as long as they were willing to go to electric.

Considering nearly every electric flyer, and a lot of glow flyers, have a stryker or some other 36"-48" flying wing laying around somewhere with a speed 400-speed 480 class brushed or brushless motor in it, they'd be practically ready to go...

Just a thought I had brainstorming while flying strykers head to head.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Nick, why don`t you put a 3696 power system on a Stryker and see how it flies. I agree that the airframe parameters of such an Open class should be set so that most of the "wing" kits, including Strykers would fit and be somewhat competitive.
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

Actually, I did...with a little sanding, a sub 28mm OD outrunner will fit into the stryker mount, as long as you have one of them that can mount behind a firewall...It flew fairly well...wasn't near as fast a a stock 480 brushed, but did have a lot of thrust.

Come to think of it, you could mount the other kind of outrunner to the rear side of the "firewall", if you could deal with the weight back there...maybe heavier batteries.

Another good option are the MSComposit bare EPP wings...I think the are the Swift series. They are set up to use out runners, and are solid EPP with bi-di hinging...
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

Stealing my idea :D

This sounds like fun. It seems like it could be something like a limited 1/2A, but E powered. I know i have a cheap outrunner that could compete with a .061. The popular suppo/grayson/etc 2212-06 turns a 5.7x3 on 3s at about 18-20k rpm on about 150 watts. This could be a fun combo for some messing around flying
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TheKid</i>
<br />This sounds like fun. It seems like it could be something like a limited 1/2A, but E powered. I know i have a cheap outrunner that could compete with a .061.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<font size="2">A number of us in Wisconsin have electrofied Mike's 1/2A Arrow (I think my brother was the first). It makes a really strong, smooth, fun flyer with a 11x7 prop and 1300-1500mAh battery. It's at least as fast, and probably faster, than with my .061 Wasp engine with the Gilkey-proven 5.7x3 APC.

Here's how it looks, with a small piece of aluminum angle iron screwed to the stock .061 motor mount.

I've used two different motors, for about $45 and shown in the picture above is this from Motor Max Motors, a really strong quiet motor:

And for about $18 from BP hobbies, this motor works well, but is a little noisier (it comes with a straight shaft, I customized this one):

</font id="size2">
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

lol, thats a great mod you made to the 2212 motor :D

This would definately be fun. Can zagis be involved?
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

I think they should. As far as I'm concerned, flying wings kits are cheap, plentiful, and pretty darn tough. I think it's smart to make the rules where htey could include them.
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

I think the problem would be that nothing would compete with a combat plane. Thats why no one flies strykers or zagis in our combat classes. Even if there was a 60" stryker it wouldnt be flown.

Im certain my zagis would trump a stryker, and im certain my mini russian wing would trump a zagi. It would be fun to have the get togethers.

If there was going to be a "park-flier" combat class or something i think you'd have to keep the limits pretty open

maybe

1) 4 minute round duration
2) 250 maximum watts (maybe verified before hand by a wattmeter or eagletree in possesion of the CD)
3) minimum 13 oz weight or something like that

and thats it. That would let basically everyone fly, and it would be easy enough to put together and make things fun...
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

It kind of depends on speed handling..My Devastator, while the same size and weight as a Stryker, didn't handle as well at sub 50mph speeds, which is what the 3696 power system runs at...
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

that's a cool shaft mod! a SKILLED pilot could time his control inputs so the shaft was pointing DOWN when he wanted to do negative g, and UP when he wanted to pull positive!!!! COOL
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Heck Brial could probably use it for left or right thrust also. You`d have to have some pretty quick servos though.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

I was referring to a skilled pilot such as myself......I'm talking PHENOMENAL skills, not garden variety
lightning

Post by lightning »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sgilkey</i>
<br />I was referring to a skilled pilot such as myself......I'm talking PHENOMENAL skills, not garden variety
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Still shaking my head at "myself" and "phenomenal" in the same context!! [^][^][^]
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

yeah, but when I said "garden variety" you popped up!!! like a little hedgehog!