7/31 Carrolton TX e-combat 3 PM

Are you and your buddies getting together for some electric combat smack-down? Post a note with the date, time, and location so other buzz-bomber wanna-be's know where it's happening!

Moderator: hbartel

Ed Kettler

7/31 Carrolton TX e-combat 3 PM

Post by Ed Kettler »

We're getting together for some ecombat fun near the intersection of I-35E and 635 off Valley View on 7/31 around 3pm. Please call my cell phone 469-867-7981 for directions.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Cash, JP and I got together for a little eCombat this afternoon. Roy came by to watch and kibitz. There was a nice breeze that kept the low 90 temperatures bearable. JP was flying his F4F Wildcat, Cash his Hellcat, and I had my veteran P-40 Warhawk. Cash and JP were running geared setups, while I was running a BP-21 outrunner.

We flew a total of five heats with three pilots, so there was a lot of maneuvering and not a lot of cuts. We don't use sticky on our electrics, so there were several drapes in each round. I think in the second round we each had a cut, so things were pretty equal. JP was still trying to sort out the right prop, and by round 4 he was very competitive. Cash pulled out his white 'Flying Chiefs' F4F for the final round, and basically out performed both of the other planes until we both tried to convert on JP's six and midaired, bringing an end to Round 5. I got a great cut on JP in Round 3, yanking string and all from his plane when the string sawed into my port wing. Performance went down pretty quick towing two 30' streamers (RCCA streamers cut to 1/2").

Having flown using full width 15' streamers and 1/2" wide 30' streamers, I'm partial to the 30 footers. They seem to tow well, and mimic the full streamers for targets. I also found that outrunners are not immune to getting streamer clogged, though not as badly as geared setups. I ingested part of Cash's streamer and had to land due to low rpms. We may want to think about a rules tweak that allows this without penalty.

After 5 rounds, it was Cash 2, JP 2 and Ed 4. I had a great time hanging with my friends, and that's what combat is all about.

Cheers!
Ed
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

THIS was fun!! Hanging out wit' my buddies, trting to cut some streamers, it was cool!! We need to do this about once a month, just to keep our reflexes up, and it's a great excuse to just get together and enjoy the fellowship of one's friends.

The Melacon Hellcat had it's hands full, as I was flying against JP and Ed, JP's a hell of a pilot, and Ed's pioting skills has improved dramatically..(he kicked our butts, didn't he?). The P-40 he was flying seemed to be real happy with the Balsa products outrunner, he could outclimb the Hellcat just a bit, I was a touch faster. JP's profile Wildcat seemed to be lagging behind till he made a prop change, and the old brushed motor woke up! When that happened it was a whole 'nother ball game as we were all over each other.

Last round, Ed was up by 2, and I just hate to lose, even to good friends. I pulled out my "purty" Wildcat, intent on making either Ed or JP pay with their streamer's lives. The Wildcat is running an E-flite Park 400 on a "B" drive and a 9-6 prop, just pulling about 8-9 amps or so, and she had a distinct performance advantge..not huge, mind you, but distinct. This plane seems to turn better than the Hellcat, even though it weighs just under a pound..

Well, I would love to report that I got that last cut, but Ed and I decided to tango near the end of the round. Damage was minor, but spread out. The wing took a hit, the empannage needs repair, and the shaft on my Maxx gearbox needs straightening...all in all, however, a good time, can't wait to do it again!!

Yer mine, next time, Nasty......[:p][:p][:p]
jpmorere

Post by jpmorere »

The word of the day is: Try different props! After flying a GWS 9x7 prop on my GWS 350 C (5.33:1) powered Wildcat for a while now and getting OK performance, I switched to a APC 9x7.5 and WOW! I'll have to put the Whattmeter on it, but this thing took off like a brushless! The next round I put the APC 9x6 on... Performance was still spectacularly better than the GWS 9x7. Not quite up to the performance of the 9x7.5, but that one was too much. I still flew much of the flight at less than full throttle in an effort to not overcurrent the pack - still need to put it on the Whattmeter to see just what kind of current it is pulling.

Yes, e-32 combat is a blast! We need to get the group on a semi-regular schedule so that more of us can get out and play together. That was a fun day! Cash is modest... His e-flight brushless powered planes have PLENTY of power [:D] and he is a pretty darn good pilot too. Not easy to hit, and he'll come out of nowhere and take your streamer if you are not chasing him!

J.P.

Return to “Upcoming Electric Combat Smack Downs”