Dixie Debreif

The batteries are dead, the ESC's are smokin', combat's over and I ain't jokin'. Let us know how the smack-down went!

Moderator: hbartel

rdc767

Dixie Debreif

Post by rdc767 »

<center>[:D][:D][:D][:D]

I had a great time. Wish we could have done more. I thought cuts were hard to come by with the smaller wing span and more scale like turning radius. They did fur ball but did not help with getting cuts. I was more successful picking out one slow plane and making runs on it.

If I did have the slowest plane I couldn't tell. I did notice that the lighter plane could turn tighter AKA Lou's 109's.

I was surprise how light the damage was. I only saw Lou’s ki damage badly and it could have been glued back together with a hot glue gun. Very little, prop strike damage like you get in ssc.

You must get at least 4 battery packs if you are to have a all electric event.

I am not sure the guys with the 50 mph airplanes were using there throttles but the speeds seeem compatible.

My recommendation is to have a 12 oz mininium. 2 cell limit. 32'w.s
Ron</center>

<center>Image</center>
thojo

Post by thojo »

I won with a 14.5oz plane flying a BP-21 motor, with 1350mah 10-12c li-po's and APC 8x6 slofly prop. I gave up some speed and vertical with a plane that was generally 2oz heavier than the pack, but it didn't hurt that much[:D] I mid-aired somebody in one of the later rounds, that sent my Mig into a nosedive that would have destroyed a ligher weight plane, but my EPP and ply construction held up until the end. After the contest, I noticed my ply crutch had broken near the front wing hold down, but the epp held its shape.

We also recognized the fact that something sticky is needed. Way too many drapes without it. Keeping with the clean simplicity of eFighters, we will probably standardize on 1" double-sided scotch tape.

Thaman

Post by Thaman »

i had a blast at the event and was realy supprised when lou told me i came in in 3rd place i think we need to stay with the 2 cell 1320 packs and the wing spans we have now bue i done think i care for the sticky stuff on the wings yes it is harder to get cuts and you haft to work for them. i think that should be what combat is about working for a cut watching your plane and the others to think about what move to make next not just flying around and hoping that a streaner touches the sticky stuff and it sticks to me the sticky stuff would incourage fur balls
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

I still haven't flown my plane. I just glued the wing up tonight.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">My recommendation is to have a 12 oz mininium. 2 cell limit. 32'w.s<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I hope you mean simply "7.4 volts", and not "2 cells," because I will be using 6 Ni-Mh cells. I did some research, and I can do 800 mAh for about 1 ounce over 1320 Li-pos and ~1100 for a slight bit more. Might put me on the heavy side, but I will not use Li-Pos.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">i done think i care for the sticky stuff on the wings yes it is harder to get cuts and you haft to work for them. i think that should be what combat is about working for a cut watching your plane and the others to think about what move to make next not just flying around and hoping that a streaner touches the sticky stuff and it sticks to me the sticky stuff would incourage fur balls<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Well said Thanman. I hope sticky stuff isn't allowed in e-combat. It is the bane of all glow combat as we know it! (Though SSC will always be my primary class... but e-bat looks like fun!)
thojo

Post by thojo »

That should be qualified as 2-cell LiPo's. As long as the total voltage of the pack doesn't exceed 7.4v, then you can use what you want.
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

If we adapt the use of govenor mode it wont matter what battery you use as the ESC can limit the RPM no matter what voltage you put in.

Return to “Electric Smack-Down Debriefs”