"Guidelines Discussion"

Here's the place to talk about "Light" electric combat limited to Open designs with brushed motors.

Moderator: hbartel

Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Spadhunter,

I tend to look at these things from a couple of perspectives:
<ul><li>Competitiveness </li><li>Fairness </li><li>Ease of enforcement for the CD </li><li>Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)</li></ul>
If everybody has the same power system (motor, prop, controller, battery limit) then in all likelihood the motors will generate the same output, and we will have a fair and competitive event. If there is an wide range of motors, brushed/brushless, geared, outrunner, etc., then it will be impossible for the CD to have any control and someone will have too much of an advantage, and people will get upset and stop flying. Finally, if you have a spec setup, then folks do not have to go out and try multiple combinations, making the event more affordable by reducing TCO.

I am open to ideas on how to achieve a balanced environment in a multivendor solution. I don't profess to have the answers.

Ed
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

It's really easy. Slam and I have down the legwork. You put the speed controller into governor mode. Put on a 7X5 APCe prop and use your atm to get 7500 RPM, gives you 32 MPH. WORKS PERFECT! DONE.

Drew
thojo

Post by thojo »

I guess that rules out the BP-21's, I haven't been able to get them up to 7500rpm
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

Sorry if I am electronically challenged, BUT what if you don't have a Transmitter or ESC with governor mode. I've looked all over my Xmter, instruction book, ESC, and find no mention of governor mode.[?]

Looks like I am going to have rely on the throttle stick, EPA, and prop to find my optimum RPM.[|)]
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Cajun,
"Governor Mode" is in the ESC. Castle Creations ESCs are programmable either by counting the "beeps" or plugging it into your computer and setting it via software.

Governor mode is a helicopter function. It is a very soft start up of the motor to full speed and then holds the rpm setting you have previously selected. RPM is selected with Transmitter throttle ATV, you set the percentage of ATV (some call it EPA) to the desired rpms.
In practice you hold your tach on the prop and read rpms as you adjust the throttle max setting. Very simple and effective.

See ya.
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

Thanks Lou. I was under the impression the mode was in the transmitter. I use a CC ESC, so I'll go back to counting the beeps.[8D]
irone

Post by irone »

July 4th we had 14 planes up in heat. The guy we had timing the match screamed out "Oh my God". There were no mid-airs just a few love taps and lots of cuts. We work a different system than RCCA is striving for. There is no arms race, Gunfighter, we all are running inexpensive bl motors on 7.4V lipos (I saw the light). No weight restrictions wingspan ok to 32". The faster you can make your plane go the better. I usually run at 3/4 throttle and reserve the push to the top when I need it. We are all flying TopGun slab planes at about 8.5 to 9oz all up. The best rule we ever came up with is to require a 20 foot dark colored streamer and attach 18 inches of bright yellow streamer to the rear end. A pilot that looses his yellow is shot down and must land his plane. We also enforce 50 yard boundrys to keep the action in your face. For now I will just say "I see yellow".

I love the smell of lipos in the mornings !

Return to “"Light" Electric Combat”