E-Jet Combat

Here's the place to talk about "Light" electric combat limited to Open designs with brushed motors.

Moderator: hbartel

irone

Post by irone »

I just found this site. Cool planes and they are FREE.
http://rc.tomhe.net/fa-18
Some may need to trimmed down or up a little but the designs look to be sound. I downloaded the F-18 and shrunk the wingspan, plane and plans down to a 23 inch WS. I think I will build this out.
I hope this helps you guys out.
adamdb

Post by adamdb »

I took the F-22 from this site and scaled it a little and am building it. The tabs are kind of a pain if you have to cut all the pieces out yourself! www.6mmflyrc.com has all of the planes from this site as kits.

You can also look over at RCGroups in the "Pusher Prop Jet Models" forum for every airplane in every size imaginable.
Adam
irone

Post by irone »

I hate tabs too, I usually design them out right from the start when kit building.

Just a word of caution, the hardest part of jet designs is getting the CG spot on. With jets one can't just say 25% of the MACD. The CG can and usually is not where expected. The CG on my F-18 isn't even on the wing. I learned where it was hiding the hard way (crash). If you measure how long the plane is and find 50% of that figure, you will be much closer to right regardless of where the wings are. This should make it a tad nose heavy. Then adjust back by moving the battery a little, untile it is spot on.

I looked at the plans you are working from and I think it will make you a great plane.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

I picked up a Yardbird MiG 29 yesterday and flew it today. Pretty interesting flight characteristics, including looping inside your streamer, high alpha slow passes. CG is about 50% of length as Irone points out.

I decided to try a kit first to learn a bit about the construction and flight characteristics. The kit recommends a 7x5 prop, which gives almost unlimited vertical. Got the batteries on charge, will head out for more flying after dinner.
irone

Post by irone »

The Yardbirds are what we started with and some of our guys are still flying them. Yardbird recommends the use of a larger 400 size motor with a 30amp controller and a 2250mah battery. Not necessary at all, the BP-21 will, and can run down that configuration down. It simply makes the thing too heavy to fly well. I also found the Yardbird to be a little tail heavy. The nose pitches up when the throttle is cut. This can be corrected on your next build by moving the motor slot forward by one inch. Also re-design your templates to make it easier to build. Loose the door on the bottom, it just falls off in flight and breaks your prop. A plane this simple should only take an experienced builder no more than 30 minutes to slap together with a hot glue gun in hand. All in all a great place to start out.

No Pocket Raptor PDF plans yet, but comming very soon....................
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

I was having so much fun last night I ran the battery to LV cutoff, and the bird was trimmed so well it just weathervaned into the wind and Harriered into a landing[:D]

I think I'm getting to like these planes![:p]
irone

Post by irone »

Plans for the F-22 Pocket Raptor is now uploaded in the chat forum at www.hawkfield.org
Let me know how you like it.........................John
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Direct Link to forum topic and plans: http://www.boehm.us.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=49

Thanks for getting the plans done and posted.
irone

Post by irone »

We had a glitch on the Hawk website. If you were unable to download, you should try again.

Ed, glad to hear you like the jets. Hope you took the time to make templates of the Mig-29. They are much easier to construct next time with revised templates (no notches to cut).

One of our guys is going to make a real nice PDF that is full page and will post it when he finishes with it. Till then use the other one as it works fine, I'm told.
irone

Post by irone »

Getting it together Guys....................[:p]

<b><font size="4">THE WORLDS FIRST E-JET RALLY</font id="size4"></b>

<font size="2"><b>Sponsored by <font color="red">Castle Creations, Hobby Lobby, Horizon Hobby, 2DogRC, Electric Jet Factory with more comming aboard daily.</b></font id="size2"></font id="red">

Hawk Field Flyers will be hosting The Worlds First E-jet Rally. October 4th and 5th, 2008

This event is listed in the AMA’s Model Aviation Magazine, August 2008 issue. This two day event will be held at Hawk Field in Mansfield Texas. A map may be found at www.hawkfield.org The field will be open Friday, October 3rd and camping is allowed but there are no hook-ups.

We will be offering awards and prizes for:
<font size="2"><b>* THE MOST AEROBATIC E-JET
* THE FASTEST E-JET
* THE BEST OF SHOW E-JET but it must fly.
* 3 ROUNDS OF E-JET COMBAT for the fun of it.
* SORRY NO SLIMMERS ALLOWED</b></font id="size2"> no nitros or gas models allowed.

<b>Electric Ducted Fan Jets, Pusher Prop E-jets and Pusher Prop flying wings <u>Only</u> invited to this historic event.</b>

Bring a camera along as we are expecting to see some spectatular models and events worth photographing. A landing fee of $10.00 per day which includes lunch. Spectaters can purchase lunches for $5.00 each.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

What kind of runway do they have John? Is that the field that I visited last year when we flew some warbird combat?
irone

Post by irone »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lee Liddle</i>
<br />What kind of runway do they have John? Is that the field that I visited last year when we flew some warbird combat?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Lee, it has a petromat runway.
Yes it is the same place. Just a lot hotter (105) at the moment. Whew !
irone

Post by irone »

Here is some hot shots from last weeks fun in the heat.

From heat #1 106 degrees, gasp!

Heat #2 I,m getting his range, not to worry!

Heat #3 We had to let the warbirds out to play too.....[:D]
irone

Post by irone »

<b>You guys are invited to this party............</b>

irone

Post by irone »

My re-designed Yardbird Mig-29. No tabs on this bird. Also used pink foam for fuse. Airframe only weighs 3.5 oz.

This one or its brouther will be at the meet.

Return to “"Light" Electric Combat”