Park Flier Combat

Here's the place to talk about "Light" electric combat limited to Open designs with brushed motors.

Moderator: hbartel

tmelton

Post by tmelton »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lee Liddle</i>
<br />Here ya go

http://www.lightflightrc.com/HTML/produ ... 814-08.htm
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Perfect guys. I think You have steered us to where we need to be. I hope we can really get our 3696 going. We are starting to get things pulled together now. Thanks for all the help.
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

Hey guys how many amps are we expecting to pull turning at 9000? You mentioned before that the ESC should be at least 30 amp. The motor can take 35 amps. Shouldn't the battery be atleast 20c? I looked at the 3696 power systems threads but everyone had a different opinion.
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

Mine only pull somewhere between 14 1nd 16 amps at 9000, but you can't have too good a quality battery. I personally use 20c 1800-2200's. They have no problem supplying the current, and when you aren't combatting, they can handle everything the motor puts out with a 9x6. I get the zippy's from Hobby City...19.99 for a 20c 3s 2200, and it's lighter than the majority of it's competition.
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by crash_out</i>
<br />Mine only pull somewhere between 14 1nd 16 amps at 9000, but you can't have too good a quality battery. I personally use 20c 1800-2200's. They have no problem supplying the current, and when you aren't combatting, they can handle everything the motor puts out with a 9x6. I get the zippy's from Hobby City...19.99 for a 20c 3s 2200, and it's lighter than the majority of it's competition.

Thanks! What do you use to balance them with? Does the Zippy come with a normal major brand balance connector?
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

It comes with the same balance plug the Great Planes do...I use them with my CellPro and the GP adapter, and also with my Astro Flight Blinky. It should work with any balancer Hobby city sells, as well as the great planes stuff.
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

Well, I think we got side tracked with the 3696 power system for awhile now. Thanks for all of your help in getting me straightened out with the power system details. I thought I would get back to the park flier subject by posting a photo of the new park flier combat plane. I am working on a new home made version right now. The new plane shown in the photo is fun to fly and was a breeze to throw together in a night. I had to make it a little stiffer with Carbon fiber rods but I'd say it was worth the $59.00 I spent on the kit. The real air foil wing is nice. I can't wait to compare it to the home made one.

tmelton

Post by tmelton »

Well the carbon fiber helped the plane big time. Now it flys like a normal plane. It still has too much flex in the main wing. I fixed that tonight with a wood joiner, epoxy, and some biderectional tape. Now I thing the wing is as stiff as foam will get. It seems that the foamie combat should be a great off season filler until I can get the 3696 going. As soon as I get all the kinks out of this form of combat I will be moving on to 3696.[:)]
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

I like the MSComposit profile planes. Even if it's not a rulebook event, lightweight peofile combat is fun. It's still chasing streamers and is good practice.
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

wow. that looks like it will be a great club combat event. It will make it easy and cheap to get guys to fly it. what would you suggest, a 15 ft streamer??
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by draftman1</i>
<br />wow. that looks like it will be a great club combat event. It will make it easy and cheap to get guys to fly it. what would you suggest, a 15 ft streamer??

I was thinking of using two 10 different colored streamers. Make the first 15 feet black and the last 5 foot red. Bring back the color closest to the plane would be worth more points. I was also wondering if we made the points per foot worth more it might discourage a foamie fur ball. Maybe bringing back the last 5 foot of streamer would be worth like 100 points per foot. I want it to be more about flying and hunting streamers more than looping and fur balling. Does anybody have any suggestions?
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

Not really sure what you could do...3696 prevents furballing because the planes simply can't do it-they tend to snap instead of turning really tight like the faster classes...forces you to plan your attack and home in on your target...You could limit control throws, but that would be annoying...

I know a lot of the indoor guys will use about 10' of streamer off each wing tip.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

The only method that has been successful in preventing furballing is to limit the performance of the plane. It`s pretty simple to do.

Minimum weight, max span, max wing area, spec prop, max rpm. If you do that, you can prevent furballing.

It works.

I have some video of 3696 that I`ll post soon in a 3696 thread.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

The problem is that many park flier type designs are pretty much modified 3-D type planes. 3-D planes can cut their own streamer, and no rules or scoring method that I`ve seen has limited furballing.

The guys around here have used the two color streamer. They put 2 or 3 ft of yellow on the end of a black streamer. If you loose the yellow, you have to land. The idea was that people would try to protect their streamer and it would prevent chasing small steamers and limit mid-airs.
I`ve flown with them, and didn`t see that it affected tactics at all. The only change was that it eliminated chasing small streamers.
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

Thanks for the info and comments. I think that the MS composite planes may make it hard to do any kind of crazy fur balling but we will have to wait and see. The MS composite planes are pretty limited in 3D- ability and I am working to make it fly more like a really plane than a 3D foamie.

Did the two color streamers add to the fun or did it just confuse the points?

I am also thinking that some equation for weight, power, wing size could keep the 3D planes out of the contest. I would like it to be a slow chasing game. Maybe just putting a max of four guys up at once would help. The furballing always seems to slow down late in a round once the crazy pilots have taken each other out and there are fewer planes in the air. The most exciting part of combat tends to be the last minute in the round when only two or three guys are left chasing each other. That is the time when pilot skill prevails over luck in a looping furball.
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

More weight, less power, greater turning radii. That would be the best way to limit a furball

Return to “"Light" Electric Combat”