Ed` request for rule clarification

This is a private forum for the Rules Committee

Moderator: hbartel

Lee Liddle

Ed` request for rule clarification

Post by Lee Liddle »

Here`s what Ed sent in the E-mail

1. For all limited events (e.g. SSC, 2548, Limited B), are remote control needle valves allowed?

2. For all limited events (e.g. SSC, 2548, Limited B), is it allowed to make throttle ATV adjustments after taching the engine/motor and passing the tach check?

3. For all limited events (e.g. SSC, 2548, Limited B), should the throttle be fully trimmed "open" as part of the tach check?

4. For all limited events (e.g. SSC, 2548, Limited B), is adjusting the needle valve after passing the tach check allowed?

I think it would be good to discuss them in private and then submit a single answer. What do you guys think?
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

My opinion is
Remote needles allowed Yes
ATV changes after tach check No
Throttle fully open No
Adjust needle valve after check Yes
montague

Post by montague »

I agree with Mike on all 4.

That's pretty much how things work now, the only different bit is the in-flight mixture control. But since it's already accepted that the mixture can't be used to control rpm, I don't see a problem there.

Btw, guys, I'm on vacation with Melissa at the beach. I won't be checking email or much of anything as much as normal. It's actually more luck than anything that I even saw this stuff in time.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

I agree, except on #3. I think what he is asking is not how open the throtle barrel is, but that the trim setting on the radio be at full open. That would avoid making it easy to open the barrel further by juust using the trim button without having to go into a programing menu.

I think that we should say "yes" that the trim setting on the radio be at full open position.
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

On my radios the throttle trim setting only affects the throttle at low settings and makes no differance at full throttle. To change the full throttle setting you need to go into the ATV menu. If the throttle trim setting is effective at high throttle then it shold be at max for the RPM check. If it doesn't affect it then it doesn't matter. Not sure how this works on differant radios. Possibly on simple 4 channel radios the throttle trim would also affect the full throttle setting?
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

My radio is the same as yours Mike, but some may be different. Would it hurt to say that throttle trim has to be full open? In other words a judge could have the stick full forward and move the trim slide (manual) or press the trim button (digital) to make sure that the carb is open as far as the radio will let it go, before an rpm check is done.

This is separate from ATV. I think that it would be good to cover this base, and say that the trim setting needs to be in the full up or open position. In this position, the throttle barrel can still be partially closed if needed to control rpm.
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

Could say that if throttle trim affects the barrel opening at full open then it must be set at full trim? I'm pretty sure that a radio that the trim affects full throttle won't have ATV either.
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

leaving town won't be back til Monday night.
montague

Post by montague »

I got busy for a while there.

Fwiw, I agree that if the throttle trim alters the throttle opening at full throttle, then the trim should be set full-up. Since it doesn't matter for other radios, I think we can safely require full up trim when checking RPM.

Return to “Rules Committee Forum”