sandpaper

This is a private forum for the Rules Committee

Moderator: hbartel

lightning

Re: sandpaper

Post by lightning »

Michael & Scott.
It seems there are a number of people who have built and balanced planes for this year based on the use of sandpaper and a westerner (Terry Harner) who seems to be planning on flying again if sandpaper is allowed.
How do we balance this against the potential for injury? We have not had an incident, but there's no guarantee it won't happen.
Should we let the trial finish out 2012 - we are well into the last third of the season?
What happens if the majority of CDs then vote to allow its continued use?
Can we over-rule that vote on a safety concern basis?
What would AMA say about it? That might end the dilemma right there!
Grrr, I shoulda voted NO in the first place!

Thoughts please guys. You know my opinion, but I only have one vote.
Keith Jones
AMA CD #7601
Radio Control Club of Detroit
and proud member of the OGC
mad

Post by mad »

I agree with Scott, if we are to end this due to safety concerns, we end it now and let the chips fall where they may.

We could also involve the entire board to ask for their opinions
Michael DeWoody
RCCA# 548
mad

Post by mad »

On a side note, We actually had a local club member hit by an airplane with sandpaper on its leading edge. It was a on a launch and the plane looped straight back over his head and hit him square in the back. He had a nice bruise from the large prop nut, no cuts from the prop (it twisted up in his shirt) and a dozen or so spots that looked like needle pricks where the wing hit him. At the time we never considered what would have happened if it was a glancing blow. The next year we did away with sandpaper mostly because it would not hold the 2 inch streamers we were using at the time. This was back in the early 90's
Michael DeWoody
RCCA# 548

Return to “Rules Committee Forum”