What are you flying in Lim B

All Things Related to Limited B

Moderator: hbartel

sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Alex, before Brians switched to AVENGERs he flew Piranhas in SSC (with great success). We had a shortage of LimB planes so we converted several Piranhas over to LimB simply by changing the engine mount and adding tail weight to balance, which also brought them up to min weight (they were heavily built, and beat up with repairs). They made great limB platforms! Planes that have gotten a bit porky for SSC use can have a new life in LimB! Keep it in mind if you have some heavy ssc BAxes that aren't quite ready for the garbage cans.
boiler

Post by boiler »

I basically use the Pirahna wing and tail feathers on the Battle Axe twin rails. It is great for Open and Limited B. I have been thinking of trying the wing in SSC as well. I use the Pirahna tail feathers and a modified airfoil Battle Axe wing for SSC. I use the Clark YH airfoil in SSC. My SSC planes weigh 2#8oz and my open B planes weigh about 3#. I use old wings and a little more armour for the radio to make the weight for limited B.
Ben Morrow

Post by Ben Morrow »

sgilkey Posted - 12/16/2007 : 11:15:21

Alex, before Brians switched to AVENGERs he flew Piranhas in SSC (with great success). We had a shortage of LimB planes so we converted several Piranhas over to LimB simply by changing the engine mount and adding tail weight to balance, which also brought them up to min weight (they were heavily built, and beat up with repairs). They made great limB platforms! Planes that have gotten a bit porky for SSC use can have a new life in LimB! Keep it in mind if you have some heavy ssc BAxes that aren't quite ready for the garbage cans.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

boiler Posted - 12/16/2007 : 13:41:53

I basically use the Pirahna wing and tail feathers on the Battle Axe twin rails. It is great for Open and Limited B. I have been thinking of trying the wing in SSC as well. I use the Pirahna tail feathers and a modified airfoil Battle Axe wing for SSC. I use the Clark YH airfoil in SSC. My SSC planes weigh 2#8oz and my open B planes weigh about 3#. I use old wings and a little more armour for the radio to make the weight for limited B.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott, Brian did do very well with those old "Fish" Didn't he win a Championship in SSC (Or some class it seems) with them? Hard to believe you guys still fly those things. [:D]

I guess Bob and Brian are the only two folks left that still fly pieces and parts of some sort of the old Piranha. They were pretty tough and hard to destroy completely!

I've been doing a little dig'n out in the shop and the ole combat itch seems to be get'n the best of me again! I guess the Mid-America contest this year set the spark off once again. Everytime I walk through the garage I now look over at the stuff, now I'm taking inventoty on just what I have. I would guess maybe 10 complete kits are left, then a bunch of other extra parts for them. Bob, I may give that aluminum rail fuse trick a try this time in SSC maybe? I will need to look the rules over good on anything other than SSC as I have no idea about the rules now days. On the limited B, I don't think we have any around the south here?? But if I could find something not too far away and can meet whatever the rules are in the class, I'd like to give it a try. Combat's hard to shake when you've had as much fun flying it as I've had!
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Hey Ben, Brian won SSC NPS the first year flyin' Fish and hasn't won it since! He started flying sscAVENGERs three years ago but Eric has been flying the Fish in SSC, and this year he flew them in Limited B. They still fly well in both classes but I think they're an even better LimB ship than SSC! Put some together and come on out!
boiler

Post by boiler »

Ben here are a few pics of how I mount the Pirahna stuff on the twin rails. I use 1/4x20 nylon bolts through the stab into dirlled and tapped rails, just like the fish.

I use a piece of the phence post to house the radio and battery. Lots of armour that way. For the limited B planes it is not drilled out to lighten it. It is attached with 3/32nd music wire that doubles as a hold down dowel for the wing rubber bands. The radio and battery is held in the post with foam and then the post is wrapped with 1/2 inch strapping tape. I have been useing a swithch for the battery mounted on the side of the post. For SSC and open B I drill a lot of 1/4 inch holes in the post to get rid of weight and the switch fits in one of those holes fine. On the SSC I use a shorter piece. The music wire runs through the center of the rails and is not held on by rubber bands like most set ups. A dab of goop keeps the wire from sliding out of the rails. This picture was an early prototype where I still used the wood dowels for hold downs. The music wire through the rails works much better.

For rubber band guards I found that plastic dry-wall corner bead works great. I attach it with foam mounting tape. On the rear one, I put some bamboo skewer pieces through the guards with just enough sticking out to keep the rubber bands from slipping into the airlon hinges when the wing gets shifted.

Hope that helps. Start building.[:)]
Ben Morrow

Post by Ben Morrow »

sgilkey Posted - 12/17/2007 : 07:14:26
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ben, Brian won SSC NPS the first year flyin' Fish and hasn't won it since! He started flying sscAVENGERs three years ago but Eric has been flying the Fish in SSC, and this year he flew them in Limited B. They still fly well in both classes but I think they're an even better LimB ship than SSC! Put some together and come on out!
--------------------------------------------------------------------

May be Scott, But "The Kid" has won about everything else out there a pilot could win!![8D]

The Piranha, I thought always was a little too heavy even brand new for SSC, but "The Kid" got-r-done anyway![;)] I always thought it was a better B plane than SSC because of it's weight, mostly that heavy but strong ply fuse. But it would get ya by.

Bob, On the wing seat on your planes, it looks like the seat's built into the wing? OR is the seat just mounted between the rails with the wing resting on top and banded down? I really Like the way you've lowered the wing down on the fuse from the stock plane! Do you guys still keep the RX inside the seat for protection?
boiler

Post by boiler »

Ben, the photo is of my SSC plane that uses a Clark YH airfoil. It has a flat bottom and sits directly on the rails. On the B planes that use the Pirahna wing I cut a wing seat as thin as necessary and glue it to a piece of 1/16th inch ply. The ply is then glued with goop to the rails. It is about 3/4 inch wider on each side than the rails. I put the receiver in the phence post between the rails along with the battery. The top of the phence post is flush with the top of the rails.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Ben, I agree the Piranha was a bit porky for SSC but it got the job done. Mostly we built them too heavy with all full size servos and so on. With small servos and some trimming of the fuse, it might be possible to build one to SSC min weight. For Limited B it's not a problem due to the 3.25# minimum, which is easy to hit with plenty of armor and full-size servos. Or use the Fish wing and an aluminum rail or phencepost fuse, they seem a bit lighter than the ply. Hope to see you out there flying!
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Bob,

That needle valve looks a little close to the prop. Is there a better way to mount it?
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ed Kettler</i>
<br />Bob,

That needle valve looks a little close to the prop. Is there a better way to mount it?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Ed, O.S. makes a $6 backplate for that very purpose! I see the backplate as easier and less expensive than a trip to the ER. [;)]
boiler

Post by boiler »

Ed, I tie it to the rail with a piece of 1/8 inch elastic from Wally world. This one wasn't set up for flight yet as it was the first prototype before the season started. I also use some Fox needle valves that have a metal mounting bar already attached.
Ben Morrow

Post by Ben Morrow »

OOOPs, Sorry Bob, I was typing while you were posting..[:D]

Guys,
I would think that it's just been knocked around in transport. As everyone knows "Longhaul" does put the miles on making all the contest he can! None of mine have the 6 buck backplate, No ER visits so far. "Knock on Wood"....
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Those of us who are truly talented use the correct size clunk inlet, fuel tubing size, tank placement relative to the carb, and fuel potion so that we never have to adjust our NVA. The rest of you, well, I guess you need to make sure the clicky thingie stays well away from the spinny thingy.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

LOL [:D] Hittin` the egg nog a little hard tonight are you Scott?