What are you flying in Lim B

All Things Related to Limited B

Moderator: hbartel

Bob Leone

Post by Bob Leone »

When is it that we relize that it isn't the plane that has the advantage, but the pilot with the best luck, eyes, and thumbs that is going to win the event. Be it combat, pylon, or any event that these 3 factors come in to play. It doesn't matter what the best pilot fly's, it's how he flys. I am sure that if you give Brian, lee, Mike, or Eric anything to fly, if they are confident with that plane and have good luck with mid airs, they are going to whoop our a$$.

I would have liked to added AJ on that list of pilots, but he is stuck in that go fast turn right or left I can't remimber
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

I agree, Bob, I'm not saying there is anything unfair in what Lee accomplished with his plane, it was fully competitive and his skills did the rest. But at the rate of evolution of electrics it seems we need to figure out how to deal with this issue before (?) we are faced with an unregulated power system which gives class-leading performance. Skills are always the best asset, but a bit of extra power over the competition is almost always an advantage. All classes have displacement limits and many have rpm limits and spec props, all in recognition that power is generally an advantage.
aseaholm

Post by aseaholm »

Scott,

My intent was not to stir the pot or get a rules debate fired up. As a visitor to this forum, I enjoy learning about Electrics in the various classes. Last week while on vacation I studied some information from a few posts on RC Groups Lee had referenced. My little exercise above was simply to see if I got it. Lee has provided a lot of information about his experimentation and I appreciate him posting it. That's all...

You do bring up a valid concern that should probably be addressed this AMA rules cycle.

Bob,

It's left. [:D]
Bob Leone

Post by Bob Leone »

Thanks AJ
You going to fly any combat this year?
Bob Leone

Post by Bob Leone »

Do you think you be able to hold a streamer on with that much power?
I SERTENLY HOPE SO.
Oh yea: Forestry tape all around
Wingman

Post by Wingman »

Why all the fuss? We could end this now and warp back to 2003 when all that really existed was good ole' Open B and Scale. Now who just wants to go out and fly? [:)]
EK

Post by EK »

With respect to what I fly. They look like Avengers but if someone asks, I tell them they are mod8 and not of the new design. I broke a couple noses off so tried an hdpe sandwich and like the results. Wanted to be able to adjust the CG so ended up with a flat wing. Sure, it hurts performance, but it cuts and builds easy and works for my flying style. This has not been Avenger country in the past, but more are showing up all the time and I'd like to think my old girls have a small part in that.
AIM

Post by AIM »

Just another reason why I like LimB so much. Run a Fora or strap your table saw motor on a plane and my old Mag 28 will stick right with ya. 14500 is the limit so I don't care what ya run.
AIM

Post by AIM »

For what it's worth I predict LimB to get even stronger in the midwest. I'm having difficulty converting Stein and Rupp to my way of thinking but at least they fly it. I think that more and more guys will start building LimB specific planes. The weight restrictions allows for more armor resulting in what should translate into longer life/ less build time/ less money. (I said SHOULD result)
I also like the ease that a newbie can show up with a competitive airframe. With all the talk about attracting new members I think that LimB is the class to start them.
slam

Post by slam »

i've been on the sidelines on this discussion....i'll take a shot at this one then go back into my hole.

open (as we are flying it) is not really "open". when someone with good thumbs and a big wallet wants, they will be unstoppable. that could be done easily with ic, and, in the future, with electrics.

when this happens, limited classes will flourish. they have built in limits to the arms race.

i have said it before and i will say it again. limited rpm, prop, and weight will limit the arms race in both ic and electrics, and provide equallity to i.c's and electrics alike.

some people are phobic of electrics....that's fine. i have gotten that way towards i.c. "hello, my name is slam, it has been 18 months since i started an i.c. motor" [:D]

i love the limited b class, i wish it had gained prominence instead of ssc. the motors are interchangable with open b (for now), and the i.c. motors are more reliable. as far as electric.....ssc is better/ cheaper. i wish the limited classes were more popular in the southeast. at least i get to try my electric hand at 2548 soon.

that's all. my .02 is not worth that much.

slam
AIM

Post by AIM »

Glad to hear another lover of LimB. I also like it better than SSC. Of course my biggest problem with SSC is that I'm not smart enough to build a plane that weighs less than my mother in law. While everyone else is buzzin around with 2.75 .lb planes I come trottin out with my 3.lb 1.oz 15000 rpm plane that has the flight charicteristics of a lobbed cannonball. The last time I flew one at my field a guy doing torque rolls beat me accross the field. (he said he would have hovered but was afraid of hurting my feelings).
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

I`m cool Mike, I`ll admit that I did get a little sideways there, but I am human. I did take it personally that this all came up immediately after I flew my first contest with stuff that I`ve been working on for over a year.

I have no problem with reasonable size limits for electric motors, just like there are size limits on IC motors. But when people start talking about watt limits, that`s out of the question. There is no horse power limit. It`s the same thing.

It`s a beautiful day here. I`m going to go out an fly some SSC with my good buddy, Evan, that whooped my E-butt in both SSC and Open B a couple of weeks ago at the LSN.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

BTW, I apologize for the sour grapes" remark which insinuated that you were a poor looser. That was out of line, and I`m sorry.

You have to be careful though, if you don`t finish well, and then raise issues about someone else's equipment who did place. It doesn`t look good.

If you had won, I would not have been here complaining about your Fora powered monster. I would either figure something that would compete with you, or just go buy a few Foras.

PS...I do own a Fora, I just don`t use it because it`s messy and smells bad.[:D]
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

Thanks Lee I appreciate that. It had nothing to do with winning or losing. It was the first time I've seen an electric that could compete on a high level. It may not be an issue right now but sooner or later there will need to be some method to compare electrics to displacement. Personally I think the Fora is way more than needed!

When that micro nuclear reactor becomes available there will be a problem!
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Agreed