The stick

All Things Related to Limited B

Moderator: hbartel

Dr. Kamakaze

Re: The stick

Post by Dr. Kamakaze »

Bruce,

I love the concept for your new design. I switched from the phenceposts to the aluminum rail fuselages like what are on the Gnats this past season. Although I was happy with getting rid of the flexing problem I had with the plastic phenceposts from Tractor Trailer Supply, I have been unhappy with how the aluminum rail bends. I'm going to redo the wing hold-down dowels I used this season (1/8" diameter fiberglass rods drilled through rail) as that introduced a definite weak spot in the fuselage.

Your design reminds me of these new electric planes I've been seeing advertised...

http://www.rcaircore.com/

It's a good way to have one fuselage for multiple classes with your new design.

Think spring,
Andy Runte, aka "Dr. Kamakaze"
-TEAM KAMAKAZE-
RCCA #876
AMA #273119
Andy "Dr. Kamakaze" Runte
-TEAM KAMAKAZE-
RCCA #876, North Central District Rep
AMA #273119
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

Dr. Kamakaze wrote:
Your design reminds me of these new electric planes I've been seeing advertised...

http://www.rcaircore.com/

It's a good way to have one fuselage for multiple classes with your new design.

I thought exactly the same thing. Modular design is the way to go.
Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

I've been kicking around the modular idea for a while now. This design is very modular. I have to add weight for lim b/scale. It's good where it builds at about 3 lbs for open b. Swapped a .25 for a .15. Had to slide wing back 1.5 inches. Came in at 2 lb12 oz. that's a little heavier than I usually come in on a new ssc plane but I have an extra 50 sq in of wing area too. Haven't flown it in the ssc configuration yet. Need to switch my servos around in the zero wing. They travel backwards from my "big" ssc/ lim b wing. I have to reverse them in the radio when switching classes otherwise it's even the same reciever. Low rates are set up for where I like them in lim b and high rates are setup for scale. Just a flip of a switch and not even rebound the reciever. I'm having a lot of fun with these.
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

Andy, have you tried laying the rails on their sides and using a stick of wood slid in the channel part of the rails for stiffeners? Lots stiffer than just rails. And I had two of the us air core airplanes when I was younger. Had the module that screwed into the fuse that housed all electronics and engine. Was a good idea but a pain disconnecting and reconnecting pushrods every time you switched planes. Eventually got another module and just left them together.
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031
Dr. Kamakaze

Post by Dr. Kamakaze »

Bruce,
I tried the Evader fuselage design and flew it in a contest. I wasn't a fan of the vertically mounted engine. I didn't want to mess with a skid plate so mounted the engine with the muffler up instead and had a lot of hydrolock problems. It came in kinda heavy in my hands as well.

I think I found a new useful way to mount my wing hold downs on the aluminum rail without drilling a hole. I don't like mounting the wing with something that can slide on the fuselage like wire hooks. I ordered some Allumaloy rods off Amazon but have not had the opportunity to try them yet. If it works as good as the badly made infomercial says, it will strengthen the fuselage in that spot instead of weaken it with a hole...check out the you tube link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ5sD9hQTyw

Has anyone tried this stuff yet?

-TEAM KAMAKAZE-
RCCA #876
AMA #273119
-TEAM KAMAKAZE-
AMA #273119
boiler

Post by boiler »

I got a couple of pounds of the stuff 3 years ago at the Toledo show. I tried repairing stripped holes in a muffler. The tap got broken after I had trouble drilling it. I tried repairing a header on a mouse can. The vibration of the engine caused it to crack. It is super tough and hard. Too hard to tool for most jobs in my experience. If you are successful, please post the results.
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

Dr. Kamakaze wrote:Bruce,

... I have been unhappy with how the aluminum rail bends.

-TEAM KAMAKAZE-
RCCA #876
AMA #273119
While no material is perfect, you are in part using the wrong aluminum. Not all is created equal in the strength-to-weight ratio department and the off-the-shelf stock you are going to find at any of the big boxes is not designed for the structural integrity that our planes require when they come to an abrupt stop with the ground. I have repeatedly been disappointed with the quality of materials available locally and have learned that planning ahead and ordering specifically what I need from an appropriate supplier has yielded superior results with virtually no cost differences. The biggest draw back is having to research it out and then wait about 3 days to receive the item, but as long as you don't wait until last minute to build your planes, it is not really a big issue. I prefer to take this approach to make my planes stronger and lighter so I won't need to do as many repairs down the road... but that's just me. Building, rebuilding, and repeatedly repairing planes starts to degrade my motivation and enjoyment of the hobby after a while.
Chris Gunter
East TN
RCCA #954
Dr. Kamakaze

Post by Dr. Kamakaze »

Chris,

If you have a source you'd like to share for 3/4" aluminum endcap besides Menard's/Home Depot/Ace that is lighter, does not bend, and is the same price...we're all ears!

-TEAM KAMAKAZE-
RCCA #876
AMA #273119
-TEAM KAMAKAZE-
AMA #273119
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

Dr. Kamakaze wrote:Chris,

If you have a source you'd like to share for 3/4" aluminum endcap besides Menard's/Home Depot/Ace that is lighter, does not bend, and is the same price...we're all ears!

-TEAM KAMAKAZE-
RCCA #876AMA #273119

Prices may be different from when I last ordered, but I saved overall and the shipping was a wash in the end. Lots of options, so knock yourself out and get creative. I never specified a size or that they do not bend, just that the "common" versions of the materials are not necessarily the best for our given applications. There are certainly more suppliers and prices vary, so I look around before each order. My stock choice is a little bigger and anodized ( nice ), but quite a bit stronger ( calculated at 54% more strength than 3/8" x 1/2" rails ) with little weight gain. The overall weight difference is made up over the entire aircraft, not just in one place. The goal is to balance the weight where I need strength and cut it where I do not. I buy in bulk, so one or two may not be a savings, but I have yet to bend one single rail... yet. Less damage = less time rebuilding = less money spent on repairs. In the end, it is a win-win.

http://www.brunnerent.com/
Chris Gunter
East TN
RCCA #954
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

The build/crash/rebuild/crash/rebuild/crash scenario is common to all of us and is the biggest downfall there is to our sport. It is a very necessary evil though if you are going to do this. I don't build planes thinking about how long they will last, I build them to fly. Not that I want to rebuild every month, but I will if that's what it takes. I believe lighter planes would help to some extent but there is always going to be damage in every class we fly. That's why I went this route. I put all the weight on the wing with tape/ armor in hopes that it will out last the fuselage. It's literally $5 for a new fuselage including motor mount and tail. Takes about 10 mins each to build if I cut the parts as I go. Much faster if you cut some parts ahead of time. I'm going to have about 10 sticks ready to fly by the start of the season here in March. I don't plan on making it all year with that but if I do great. If I have to rebuild the fleet, that's fine too. Just part of it. So when you see me at the field with an overwhelming number of planes ready to go, just keep in mind that they are all there to either cut streamers or die trying. No hanger queens here! (Except maybe Buttercup)
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031
Team_Oz

Post by Team_Oz »

I still want one... Please
Really did you think I would go there.
Bill1003