The stick

All Things Related to Limited B

Moderator: hbartel

Bruce B

The stick

Post by Bruce B »

We have decided to try some limited b here in north Texas. Our beloved buttercup has been flying a simple and cheap to build airframe that I thought I'd share( with his approval). Anyways you will need some poplar sticks from the hardware store. I used 1 1/2x1/2x24 inch poplar. I will suggest that you use a 3/8 thickness instead of 1/4. I will in the future, but the build is the same. Some coroplast,hdpe or cutting board for motor mounts, some 3/4 or 1 inch 8/32 bolts and nuts, and some 3/16 plywood. David turner and myself built 10 of these in about 3 hours. He took pics so I'll get him to post them. It's pretty self explanatory and will accommodate any flat bottom wing design. It has a breakaway motor mount setup that results in breaking a piece of plywood in a hard nose first landing( also called a one pointer). It's just 4 easy to get to screws to fix and takes less than 1 minute. Best of all, you can swap motor mount plates , slide the wing back a little, remove the ballast and use it for ssc as well. Or change the prop and muffler for open b. My prototype has a wing area of 590 sq inches and came in at 3lbs exactly. Put two oz on the tail for balance and the rest was rubber banded on with the wing. I'll move it to inside the wing before a contest.
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031
Bruce B

Re: The stick

Post by Bruce B »

ImageImage
The poplar stick. Center a notch wide enough for coroplast on one end and cut in 5 inches. I used a router table and a 3/16 bit. The motor mount is 3 1/2 inches x2 1/2 wide and make the plywood plate the same size. Attach like shown with nuts and bolts, making sure back of plastic motor mount is flush with front of poplar stick. The plywood plate will break in a hard hot and save the rest of the airframe. Battery/ receiver go on top of plywood plate. I use dowels for the wing hold down. It's placed under fuse stick and held in place by wrapping a rubber band around it battle axe style.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

Tail feather installation coming soon. Stay tuned.
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

I cut coroplast 2 1/2x 5 1/2 inches. Mark and cut a single flute 2 1/2 inches in from each end and fold as shown. This protects the receiver and battery. Wounds on top of wood plate with rubber bands wrapped around and hooked to the extra length of the bolts. Image
I also mounted the fuel tank on top of the coroplast using the same rubber band method.
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

I've been busy but have three new sticks flying in the lim b configuration and two more underway. They build very quick and easy. I have also been playing with a foam " scale "fuselage that will snap around the stick. This will allow me to fly three classes, lim b, open b, and scale with the same fuselage freeing up extra motors and servos for other things. I will post pics soon
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031
boiler

Post by boiler »

Looks very interesting Bruce. Especially the scale idea.
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
Team_Oz

Post by Team_Oz »

Are you going to kit these? I might want one and some more detailed instructions...
Really did you think I would go there.
Bill1003
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

For you Bill, NO!!
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

Did some building and test flying a couple of days ago during the holidays. I had added tail weight to my lim b setup for balance and decided to play with the foam fuselage for scale. I roughed one out and hacked it together as a concept. The larger tail of the zero an the little weight of the covered foam allowed me to remove all but 1/2 oz of ballast to get to 52oz. That's with the 48"wing for 2948 scale completely wrapped in hurricane tape and sign vinyl for covering. First test flight was straightforward except a little touchy on the elevator. Flew through 6 oz of fuel in a bladder system that sits under the canopy. Little expo in the radio and second flight was much better. Very smooth and turns tight. Looses a little speed in the hard corners but I can still throw it around and it's not snappy. Ran out of fuel way far out and landed in some small brush that ripped the brittle in the cold vinyl covering. These pics are the first prototype after it was taken apart again for a quick recovering. I'll have more info and taking pics post on it now.
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

ImageImageImageImageImage
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

ImageImage
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031
boiler

Post by boiler »

I like the looks of the scale conversion so far.
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

Rudder is slotted and front of elevator is notched. Slide elevator in slot and engage notch in the front with the rudder. Slide assembly into slot on tail and secure with 4 screws. I use #4 x1/2. Servo mounts in rudder with short pushrod.
My zero fuselage is just a foam shell that slides over the lim b stick. Two halves are secured with tape and the cowl is a 2 liter soda bottle. Lim b to scale with some tape and a wing swap.
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

Good job Bruce. I like it!
Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

Got the zero fuselage recovered today. Here are some pics. Remember this was a prototype what if idea still needs some finishing work.
ImageImage
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031