Best 25 engine

If you're new to combat, you probably have a bunch of question. Check here first, 'cuz its most likely been asked before. (..and there's no such thing as a stupid question).

Moderator: hbartel

ccrebidoux

Best 25 engine

Post by ccrebidoux »

Quick question for you guys.

What's the best choice for an engine in the 25 size, considering price, power and quality??

A friend of mine is talking about the Norvel Big Mig 25.

Chris

Gravity works, I've tested it......OFTEN!!
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Chris,
I have many Norvel AME .25s and they run well if you do all the things to them before trying them in competition: gasket sealer on carb, tubing over the needle, right plug (cold), and replace the threaded shaft/prop stud with one of hardened steel and most importantly have the right head tool and a socket to tighten the carb draw bar. You should also stock up on extra head gaskets and get the old Cox .15 glow plug wrench which will work to loosen and tighten the backplate.

The Big Mig has an air bleed carburetor that in the past has been better machined than the dual needle AME carb. The AME carbs have a tendency to bind up and strip servos. If you get the AME check the barrel rotation thoroughly before flying. The stop screw will gall gall the barrel which in turn galls the carb body. After that happens it is hard to ever get it reliably free again. The Big Mig carb does not have the problem.

The most consistent, easiest to use engine is the the OS .25FX.

Lou Melancon
Alpharetta, Georgia
boiler

Post by boiler »

From what I've seen, the FX is also more durable. You can't score if your engine doesn't get you in the air.

Bob Loescher
Lima Ohio
montague

Post by montague »

Bang for the buck, the Webra .25 is hard to beat. That thing is a real powerhouse, and it runs well, with minimal modifications necessary. (I'm running mine box-stock right now, but a remote needle modification is likely in the future, I've been told that the needle assembly can break in a very annoying way in stock configuration, but I haven't seen it happen personally)

The OS, is probibly the best engine when it comes to "out of the box in to the airplane" ease and reliability, and it's got plenty of power. The OS is the most popular engine, and for good reason.

If you want cheap, the Magnum .28 is good, but their carb needs a lot of TLC to get it to be reliable. Out of the box, the carb will eventually fail you. Don't bother with the Magnum .25, it doesn't have enough power.

Kirk Montague Adams
RCCA 560
http://www.MidAtlanticCombat.com - Combat in the Mid-Atlantic Region
David E.

Post by David E. »

What about the Irvine? Just bought one online. Looks good from photos tell you more when I recieve it. But is it a good engine?
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

We've used the Irvine engine the last couple of years here in North Texas and they have performed well. I'd say they fall into the same catagory with the OS 25FX and Webra.