looking for combat

If you're new to combat, you probably have a bunch of question. Check here first, 'cuz its most likely been asked before. (..and there's no such thing as a stupid question).

Moderator: hbartel

David E.

looking for combat

Post by David E. »

Hi all
My name is David. I just got back into flying last year and want to try combat. I started flying when I was six and at 16 I was doing Combat with each pilot going for a plane hit. I am 35 now and want to do it right. I just bought a WarZone P40 and have an old os max 20 that will fit on her. Is there anyone that can help me in the Winchester/northern VA area get into combat?
Thanks
mad

Post by mad »

David, I live in Nashville area and we will be having several combats in this area. If you will Email your phone number and a time I will be glad to give you a call and talk about the RCCA and What classes would be best for this area.
Michael DeWoody mad_prez@yahoo.com
Bad Dawg

Post by Bad Dawg »

I believe Chris Shepard Chris Shepherd shepcombat@msn.com
lives in the Winchester area. He runs a Hobby Lobby around there, and Kirk "Beard Boy" Adams kirk@wheek.org is the RCCA rep for Md. I think he flies in Laurel Md.
David E.

Post by David E. »

Just received an email from Chris. He hasn't flown combat for several years. I will just try to drum up some combat in my club.
David E.
montague

Post by montague »

David,

I've been off the forums for a bit, so I didn't see your message sooner. I'm in Laurel, MD. We have 4 contests schneduled for this year up here, but no scale combat at the moment. We are flying B and SSC classes. There is also a contest each year down in Hanover, VA. Last year it was SSC. That's about it for this area right now. If there is enough interest, we MIGHT try some 2548 here at my field later in the year, but it's not a certain thing yet.

We also have a mailing list for combat in the area. It's run from the www.MidAtlanticCombat.com website. Obviously, not the most active website on the planet. I run it, but haven't had much time to mess with it lately.

I think Chris is out of it down there as well. But there are other guys in VA that still fly, you just have to find them. Nate, who works (or worked) at the same hobby store as chris was getting in to it last year.

If you can get your club to throw a contest, and you need a CD, I'm now an AMA CD, so I'll help run a contest down your way if you want.

There used to be a lot of combat activity in VA. These things go in cycles, so who knows, maybe it's due for an upswing.

Kirk
montague

Post by montague »

Serg,

If you an get a field, I'll CD the event.
cshepherd

Post by cshepherd »

Kirk,
my twin babies are due to arrive on April 21st so you can imagine where all of my spare time is going to go! I still have a couple of 2610 Hurricanes locked and loaded. I still have a bunch of Locust and Viper fuses laying around. Just need to get the desire to cut some wings for them and refit them with new equipment as most of it was destroyed over the past couple of combat seasons. If someone schedules a 2610 event, let me know as I'm sure I'll want to get out of the house.

Toying with the idea of going to the Nats this year... just will have to see if I can spare the time. Working on getting a new job, just waiting on clearances, etc.

Nate and I are still at the hobbyshop working part time. Nate has a Lanier Ripper.
montague

Post by montague »

Good to hear from you Chris, I wasn't sure if you hadn't sold off all your gear by this point.

I doubt we will fly 2610, but those Hurricanes should be legal in 2548 if you replace the pipes and props. Not sure though.

I'm hoping Nate will make it up this way for some of the FSA contests. He seemed to really dig it last year when he could make it.
cshepherd

Post by cshepherd »

Nope, have not sold off my gear. My priorities just got shifted to other things like moving into a new house, finishing the basement, setting up the workshop,etc.
David E.

Post by David E. »

Guys
I might be able to get the Plane Crazy's field this summer some time. No promises though. I am just a new comer to combat with just a warzone kit still needing built a P-40, April 10 I work but the June 1st I believe I want try to make.
David