Help !!!!!!!!!!

If you're new to combat, you probably have a bunch of question. Check here first, 'cuz its most likely been asked before. (..and there's no such thing as a stupid question).

Moderator: hbartel

Mysterious Pilot

Help !!!!!!!!!!

Post by Mysterious Pilot »

Hey guys!!! well, I'm a fairly new to the world of R/C Combat area. Currently I'm 15 years of age and own a P-51D Mustang; a taildragger. Well, I sent my plane in to be clocked for the max speed and according to there records, it's clocked at 210 MPH!!!!! Well, heres the whole point of this message, I know the taildragger is a hard sqadren to fly, so, I am asking, if you guys are willing, to give me any and all advice about what I can do to train myself to fly this little Sky Devil. Besides getting a throttle control, I'm not sure on how exactly to fly it. That's why I'm asking for any and all advice. And for the record... I know about Top Gun, so when I'm able to fly this thing with conmfidence, expect some copetition!!!

Thanks Again
Scincerly,
Mysterious Pilot

Hey guys, I got one question: My plane has a 60" wigspan. What class would my plane be in??

If you can tell me, it will be verry much appriciated!!
Thanks.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Young Mr. Mysterious pilot. First we wouldn't want you to fly that plane against us because it would be sooo much confetti if it happened to have a mid-air. It sounds like it might be of balsa and covering construction. Another note is that we don't use landing gear. We hand launch and land the plane on the belly if we don't put it in the ground at 90 degrees. (Lawn Dart Landing) The classes that we fly are generally determined by engine displacement although some of the classes do have a wingspan restriction. I suggest that you check the rules for the various classes and what might be flown in your area. What is flown in your area is what I would build for because few people are as nuts as myself. I'm driving 1125 miles one way this weekend to fly combat. There is a contest calander at the top of the home page. If you find SSC is flown in your area, I would recommend starting with that. It is an open design class with a small inexpensive engine. There are a lot of good kits out for it now as well. If you want to fly scale combat your plane is not in spec for any of the scale classes. If you tell me what area of what state you are in I or some of the other pilots might be close enough to give you some better advice. Good luck in your pursuit to kick our behinds. We have fun flying combat. (win or lose)
Mysterious Pilot

Thanks boiler. well, as far as I know, my plane is made of balsa wood. The current engine size that Im going for is a .50 or .60 gas engine. Just for referance, how do you guys shoot of these streamers anyway??
HEY, I'M HERE FOR INFORMATION, COMBAT AND THE FRIENDSHIP OF OTHER PILOTS.

Thanks
boiler

Post by boiler »

With an engine over .30 it would be C class and I think there are only one or two events near Missouri and I think they max the displacement at .47. There was a video clip not long ago (mabe a still pic as well) of a trainer that was used to tow a streamer. It wasn't pretty. About 1000 pieces of balsa floating down after a plane designed for combat flew right through it and kept on going. Most pilots fly the B class of combat with .25 os fx engines. There is a scale and open event which is fast with mouse can mufflers.(18000 rpm) There is a scale and open event which is slower with a maximum rpm of 15500 and prop restrictions and other restrictions as well. There is one very popular A class event that uses the os la .15 as the most popular engine. It has a 17500 rpm limit along with prop and other restriction. Look at the debrief thread of the rccombat forum to see pictures of some planes and events flown in different parts of the country. Again if I knew what part of what state you were in, I might be able to direct you to some clubs or pilots that are known to fly combat in your area. There may be a meet you could go to. Most pilots are eager to share information to a newbie so they can be successful sooner. We also like to cut your streamers. Besides a prop cut the streamers are ripped with sticky stuff on the leading edge of the wings.
Mysterious Pilot

Well, I don'tlive in the US. Currently I live in Canada, near Brandon Manitoba, thanks for the information on your combat criteria.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Jake, we have 5 Canadian members but they all are in Ontario. I get to fly with some of them a couple meets each year. Closer to your location we have 2 in the Billings Montana area and 2 near Grand Rapids Minnisota. The Minnisota guys are a little less than 400 miles from you. Last year they had a meet in Grand Rapids in August. It was a SSC meet. I don't know if they are having one this year yet. I suggest that you keep an eye on the contest calender at the top of the home page of rccombat.com and check out the rules for each of the classes. Good Luck and I may see you at a meet in the future. Any questions about kits, building methods, or anything else about combat planes can be found on the rccombat site. I used it for one season while learning to fly my trainer. The next season I was prepared to fly my combat planes. I wasn't any good the first year and some would say I haven't improved much my second year. I'm entering my 3rd year and am having a blast. I'm 58 and haven't had this much fun since I was 18.[:D]
Mysterious Pilot

Well, that is a tough decision..... I got one main problem.... I CAN"T DRIVE!!!! wich, realy sucks!!!!!! Oh well. My shop teacher is an ex-pilot, verry experienced in the art of RC Combat. Since he is not allowed to fly them anymore, because his wife won't let him, he's giving his plane to me. I'm not sure what model it's based on, but he made it himself, it's made of fiberglass, 60" wingspan, .40 engine and heavy as hell.

Well, thanks for the heads up, and I'll probly see you in the future, but for referance..... watch your back!!!

Thanks again
Sincerly,
David E.

Post by David E. »

Hey Mysterious
Not to offend but how long have you been flying? If that P51 is your first plane I would suggest taking the motor and radio out and putting them on a trainer. I started when I was 6 now at 35 I am getting into combat. Just recieved a warzone P40. The kit was on RCUniverse for 35$ shipping included. Check it out if you have flight experience.
I was told by some people on here that combat is the best but you need to know how to fly first. Well Good luck
David E.
Mysterious Pilot

Well, David, personaly, I have never flown it, for one main reason; I'ts not ready to fly at the moment, the engine I had got stolen about 2 months ago and same with the controllers and servos, Wich means I need toorder a whole new set!!!! I HATE GETTING ROBBED!!!!!!!

But, thanks for your concern, it's verry much appreciated. Currently, my father and I are taking flight training, in order to be able to fly it. Up to this point, I have flown about 42 hours worth of flight and still training. But again, thanks for your concern.

Sincerly,
David E.

Post by David E. »

No problem, Just want you to have a good experience. Too many people I have seen just jump in with warbirds and expect to fly them like an ace and end up like the victom of the ace.
I hope you enjoy the hobby.
David