Welcome to RC combat RUSSIAN open

If you're new to combat, you probably have a bunch of question. Check here first, 'cuz its most likely been asked before. (..and there's no such thing as a stupid question).

Moderator: hbartel

Anastasia

Welcome to RC combat RUSSIAN open

Post by Anastasia »

hey guys!
we are having competitions here in Russia in the 20th of May. Our team "Yupiter" would like to invite you to come to Russia and to take part in RC Combat Rus Open (with open B).
In fact we could take two pilots who would like to fly for our team just to exchange the experience. We are gonna give you all necessary equipment (planes, radio control system and so on).
Hope you'll like the idea!
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

Where is the contest being held? Sounds like a great offer! Is the contest one day or several? I'm interested!
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Anastasia,
Like Hat Trick says, tell us where the event is being held and what city we should plan to fly into?
Anastasia

Post by Anastasia »

First of all, the event is being held in Samara. The city is 1000 km from Moscow to East. The trip from Moscow to Samara takes 1,5 hour by plane (costs 250$ both sides) or about 18 hours by train (150$).
The "check-in day" is on the 19th of May. But you'd better arrive several days before (on 16th or 17th) just to have enough time to try our equipment. The contest takes one or two days (depends on how many pilots will arrive).
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

These are photos of Combat in Samara that Anastasia sent today:

<center>Image</center>

<center>Image</center>

<center>Image</center>

<center>Image</center>

<center>Image</center>

<center>Image</center>

<center>Image</center>

<center>Image</center>

<center>Image</center>
rdc767

Post by rdc767 »

Somebody needs to send these guys a bat trick! Control line combat planes? I don't think it would be fair. This reminds me of Hat and Lou and A.j going to Houston a few years ago. Not pretty.
Ron
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Ron,
We are learning a lot from communicating through Anastasia about Combat in Eastern Russia.

They try to go as fast as they can. Although they are allowed a maximum weight of 3kgs (6.6 lbs) the planes are generally built to about 2.2 lbs.

If you notice in the pictures above those engines <u><i><b>are not </b> </i> </u> OS .25FXs they are either FORAs or something very similar, and they have mousse cans on them.

They fly a maximum of four up at one time. They fly in a much larger sky than we do, and I don't think there is anything like a fur ball in their style of flying.

Mike Fredricks and I are both trying to figure out how to ship planes over. They tell us that they use Hitec 555 receivers and HS85 servos. Their transmitters are Hitec Eclipse 5 and 7 models.

After a brief discussion with AJ I may get some of his new Avenger B2s to build to take, not sure yet. I have to make sure we can fit into the airline limits for dimensions of luggage or build them this weekend and ship them two months in advance.

Hope some other fliers show interest in this contest it should be fun.
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

I'm thinking I can make a coroplast box which would hold 2 or 3 wings. It shouldn't be any bigger that a set of ski's or a golf bag so I think it should go on the airline as luggage. The fuselages I cold put in my suitcase with the tail feathers off. The wings and wing box would get a one way trip!

I checked with Futaba and they said I would just need a frequency module for the transmitter in the right band. Should be able to borrow a reciever but I may buy one just to make sure everything works before I get there. Problem is they don't sell European frequencies here so you have to buy it overseas as well! I sent an e-mail to a British hobby shop that Futaba recommended.

I'm exieted! should be fun!
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

Lou & Mike
If there anything I can help just let know, the idea of two Of the top combat pilots and combat supporters flying to Russia and compete in unknown skies will leave a mark here in the rcca
rdc767

Post by rdc767 »

Mike you going to bring that big German Helmet with you? That should stir it up a bit!
6lbs! Bring the bat trick! Let them get close. To me it looks like they are flying control line planes> what was the name of that plane Lou that you brought to Louisville 6 years ago? Looks similiar.
Ron
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

I'm thinking of the Havoc over Hamilton event when I showed up with the first Bat Tricks. I think I hit and knocked down 10 - 15 planes that day and never went down once!

Started building my box tonight!
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Mike, this is just something to think about. How fast were the planes at the Havoc? Weren`t they about the same speed as you? Mike Willcox tells me that the Russian RC combat planes, like the ones pictured here, are VERY FAST! They are probably over 100mph. They use 2" wide heavy duty streamers to hold up to the speed. They also use sandpaper on the LE to help cut the streamers. They don`t want streamers sticking to the planes. They also only count cuts on the original streamer.

I don`t think that survivability will win for you in Russia. If you are 30mph slower than the other 50 or so pilots, and there`s no furball, you are going to have a hard time getting any cuts. I`m afraid that your offense would be limited to trying to grab streamers as they go by. It might work, but, if they want to play "Keep away from the big American plane" then you will not have much offense.

Before I`d decide what to fly, I`d get a copy of their rules, and see how they do things, especially scoring.

In CL combat FAI rules allow each pilot two complete planes per heat. I don`t know about RC, but they might do it in RC also. It doesn`t look like they`ve gotten too far away from their CL combat roots.

These are just some things that I`d look into if I were going. I wish that I could, but with just one week of vacation, I`d be trading this for the NATS, and I can`t do that.
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

Thanks for the tips Lee. I'm thinking my big american planes will out turn the faster russians. If not they have offered to let use their equipment as well if mine aren't up to the task. And they will get to see what our stuff looks like.

If they are not impressed by our big american planes at least they will know we are just a couple of wild and crazy guys!

Post by 124 »

Those Russian planes look FRAGILE. Mike do you still have that
Jet 30 you gave a demo on at our field? Give you any ideas?
AL Perkins
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

I`m thinking a well armored Predator or Panther with a Jett 30 would leave a wide path of destruction in it`s wake.