Making Streamers

If you're new to combat, you probably have a bunch of question. Check here first, 'cuz its most likely been asked before. (..and there's no such thing as a stupid question).

Moderator: hbartel

dirko

Making Streamers

Post by dirko »

I am looking for plans to make a fixture to make streamers with an electric drill. I know I saw it some where. My memory is poor and the search can't find it either. HELP!!!![?]
Yawnego

Post by Yawnego »

Take a 1/4 x 4" dowel, cut it length ways down the middle for about 2".. Put it in the drill & get with it...
mad

Post by mad »

Also take about a three inch round piece of cardboard with a 1/4 inch hole in the middle. Slide it over the dowel rod down to the bottom of the slot cut in the dowel and glue in place. Make sure to sand the dowel with very fine sand paper and taper it slightly towards the end.
boiler

Post by boiler »

I use a 1/4 inch fender washer where Michael uses the cardboard. It stores easier. I also just use a 1/4 inch drill bit. The streamer kind of screws off the bit when you're done. I also measure a 15 foot strip in my workshop, run the streamer from my seat where the roll of material is, across the room and around the rung on the back of a weighted chair. I take the stretch out of the material, measure it and put a cut 3/4 the way through the material. Then I roll it until the cut gets back. Stretch the ribbon, measure, cut 3/4 through and roll the next one.
mad

Post by mad »

Just a word of warning!!! Do not start with 30 ft. This material streaches a lot when you roll it. The tighter you roll it the longer it gets. Start at about 27 or 28 ft, After you get fairly consistent with the thightness of the roll, undo one and measure it, then adjust accordingly. OR just caal Mike Fredricks and order them pre-rolled.
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

http://www.wildwingscombat.com/articles ... litter.htm

Streamer splitter article by Tim Feathers.
BenJammin

Post by BenJammin »

Here's my Spad version of a streamer roller. The wheel has a 3' circumfrance. 10 revs makes 30'.

Yawnego

Post by Yawnego »

That's one COOL setup there!!!
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BenJammin</i>
<br />Here's my Spad version of a streamer roller. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<font size="2">Ben - is there anything you don't make with Coroplast? [:D]</font id="size2">
BenJammin

Post by BenJammin »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ZenManiac</i>
<font size="2">Ben - is there anything you don't make with Coroplast? [:D]</font id="size2">
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I'm sure there is. I just can't think of anything right now. [:o)]

Post by 124 »

I use 1/4" brass tubing and cut a slot of about 1" lengthwise with a dremel. Polish tubing and wind up with electric dril. I lay out the streamers kind of like Bob. 15' out, around a 5 gal ice cream bucket (yummy) and back to me. I mark by attaching a clothspin, which creates a little drag and prevents fouling. For splitting the streamers, I compress the 1.5" roll in a vise between some 1.5" angle iron. After sitting overnight in the vise, I take it out and wrap with masking tape, mark and cut on the bandsaw. Very few ragged edges. It is like cutting walnut, so take it slow. AL Perkins.
combatgoblin

Post by combatgoblin »

test
Lacey

Post by Lacey »

My system involved placing an empty wire spool as a turn around point 15 feet from where I'm sitting. I place a pay-out spool next to me run the streamer through the turn-around and back to where I roll the streamers. Before I roll a streamer, I punch a hole in the streamer next to the pay-out spool with a hole punch then I begin winding up the streamer on a 1 inch wood boring spade bit chucked into a cordless drill. When I see the hole approaching me, I stop rolling and cut the streamer at the punched hole. I secure the end and punch a new hole on the next streamer next to the pay-out roll.

The whole apparatus fits in a shoe box and I can roll and entire contest worth of streamers while watching TV.

You can change rolls by taping the end of the emptying spool to the beginning of a new roll. That way you can do the whole job without getting up.