basic SSC fighter plan?

If you're new to combat, you probably have a bunch of question. Check here first, 'cuz its most likely been asked before. (..and there's no such thing as a stupid question).

Moderator: hbartel

OzMo

basic SSC fighter plan?

Post by OzMo »

i was curious as to why RCCA doesn't have a basic fighter plan for newbies. there are a few kits around that are very good, but lots of possible new guys can't afford to do much more than scratch build to get started.[?]
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

www.hattrickrc.com budget starter components for those who to fly on the cheap as well as kits.
boiler

Post by boiler »

What materials are you able to work with? Foam, Aluminum, Bats, fence posts, coro, etc.
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

GMA had plans on thier site as well for a gorilla didnt they Bob?
boiler

Post by boiler »

They have that plus other kits etc. The gorilla as described calls for the purchase of a wing core. When I build from scratch, it is totally scratch. A wing core certainly cuts the work but you have to order it and pay shipping etc. Here is the build thread from Georgiacombat.com site.

http://www.georgiacombat.com/GeorgiaGor ... Index.html
OzMo

Post by OzMo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by boiler</i>
<br />What materials are you able to work with? Foam, Aluminum, Bats, fence posts, coro, etc.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
we have been totally scratching out planes from foam or coro and have used bats ( my favorite )and other stuff.we are curently looking at the slow motion scimitar that has been around for a couple of decades but could be built in SMACK wing method with perhaps a bat fuse. probable profile nose for motor mount tank and throttle servo. still morphing the overall design but some of the guys working on this are pretty @#%& good at coming up with new nontradional materials that work sooo fine for combat. i don't want to let the whole cat out of the bag just yet.[;)] any one used the simitar slo-mtion format for combat yet?[?]
our club is curently doing a sport bipe .25 group build with foam wings so we have a foam core mass production set up (in this case "mass" = a dozen) but the combat guys are in on this so there will be some fighter wings sliced out as well. at the LSN last year several of the guys described their one handed one template method of foam cutting and we set up one last night last night and will cut our cores soon.
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by OzMo</i>
<br />i was curious as to why RCCA doesn't have a basic fighter plan for newbies. there are a few kits around that are very good, but lots of possible new guys can't afford to do much more than scratch build to get started.[?]
<font size="2">The guys at AREA-52 have an excellent photo-rich build-along for a Mako flying wing:

http://members.cox.net/th-ca/index.html</font id="size2">

I think it is designed as Open-B, but maybe could be lightened (different foam, tape instead of RSN, etc) for SSC.
OzMo

Post by OzMo »

[8D] well there is more out there than i realized! i learned a few things checking out those web sites. thanks:)

P.S. isn't it just WRONG to use ELMERS poly glue on a " Gorilla".
EK

Post by EK »

There is one caution if you're single wire pulling a wing. The triangular ratios of root and tip will get you in the ballpark for the foam blank to pivot point, but if you want to end up with a constant trailing edge width you're going to have to cut the tip chord bigger (increase distance from the pivot) then drop cut the trailing edge with a bow. This is probably common knowledge to most but it kept me from converting to this method of cutting for a couple months.
OzMo

Post by OzMo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EK</i>
<br />There is one caution if you're single wire pulling a wing. The triangular ratios of root and tip will get you in the ballpark for the foam blank to pivot point, but if you want to end up with a constant trailing edge width you're going to have to cut the tip chord bigger (increase distance from the pivot) then drop cut the trailing edge with a bow. This is probably common knowledge to most but it kept me from converting to this method of cutting for a couple months.
hi evan, and thanks for the tip. i see now how the apex or pivot point location is determined by establishing the TE and LE intersection.
this method should establish a corect HORIZONTAL triangle but will cause a taper from root to tip in the TE because of the VERTICAL tringle formed by the cutting wire. ok i get it. does that taper cause any problems in flight? and how much further out (ball park) do you extend the pivot point.....ok i know it will be until the tip TE thickness = root TE thickness. [:)]fortunately the room we are in is huge and we can move the cutting table back as needed.
would a small formica tip template solve the problem as well?
the guys running this group build are the SSC guys in our club and have offered all interested members wing cores if they will build an SSC bird.[8D]
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

If you have all the room and the people to help out with the foam cutting, why would you even have the need for a single wire pull. Sounds like you are creating more work and thought process for yourselves. Just cut, build, fly, and then hopefully cut again.
EK

Post by EK »

I cut my wings with the pivot 8' from the foam. The correction for the taper isn't very much (less than a foot, more like 2-3 inches). The root chord template is extended 1" beyond the foam blank and that's plenty to take care of the taper. I cut from the LE on top and go around the template to finish the cut back at the LE (from the bottom). Your cut core will be correct at the root but the tip TE will come to a point. Find the thickness you want on the tip TE (hopefully, it's at the desired tip chord length), mark it, and drop cut the TE with a bow. You end up with a TE that has the same thickness over the span. After the first one is cut, then do the measuring from the LE so the tip chord is the same. Every time I set up, my first cut is on 3 scrap pieces (2"X2"X root chord) placed at the root, tip, and midspan. If I messed up the setup, I've only made smaller pieces of scrap.
OzMo

Post by OzMo »

[8D]ok two responses here,
we set up a foam cutting session for a group build .25 biplane AND teaching other ways of cutting foam wings...two "birds" with one stone so to speak. some of the guys just came to learn. its a learn and teach as we go thing. some really nice cores have been turned out so far...about a dozen sets for the bipe with each wing in two pieces for dihedral etc.

we will cut some combat wings as a demo so any one who wants to can cut there own if they chose. you know proliferation of the hobby and all that good stuff. i'm basically just showing these guys what i was shown by my RC club over ten (er ummm) 18 years ago.[:)]and passing on some newly learned techniques from the combat guys as well.
OzMo

Post by OzMo »

EK,
i'm not sure i understood what you described as " i extend the root template 1" beyond the foam".
OzMo

Post by OzMo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by OzMo</i>
<br />EK,
i'm not sure i understood what you described as " i extend the root chord template 1" beyond the foam". is that past the TE?