If you're new to combat, you probably have a bunch of question. Check here first, 'cuz its most likely been asked before. (..and there's no such thing as a stupid question).

Moderator: hbartel

Axeman

Post by Axeman »

<font size="2">I just wanted to get my feet wet here on the forum. I have been visiting this website for several years and have finally decided to come out of the closet. <b>I am an airplane junkie and I don't care who knows!</b> I am working on a new open-B ship currently. I am still trying to research materials and such. I built a great F6F for 2548 using nothing but a scale drawing and information on this website (and links). It turned out to be a terrific flyer and I attribute it completely to all of the knowledge I gained from you all. I have never competed in a combat event but I hope to change that soon!</font id="size2">
mad

Post by mad »

Welcome Ted,

I'm sure you will be hearing from the locals in your area. Kirk and Chris are always looking for someone new to play with.
Ask any questions you want and I am sure someone will be glad to help.
montague

Post by montague »

Hi Ted,

Welcome to the combat community. We just had a contest out near Front Royal in VA earlier today.

There's a club in Hanover, VA that used to hold combat contests, but hasn't in a couple of years, and at one point there was a group in N.C. that was doing club combat, but I don't know if they are still active or not.

The next contest in the area is out near Front Royal. Open B and SSC, that's on August 11th. There are also contests coming up in Salisbury, MD and Laurel, MD. Salisbury is SSC, and the Laurel contest is also SSC, but we might be adding 2548 if there will be enough guys to fly it.

We also have a mailing list for the contests in the area that usually has details about upcoming events and such. And I run a small website at www.MidAtlanticCombat.com which has the local contests and such.

Oh, and if you want to hold a contest at your club, and can get use of the field, we can help you put it together, we have all the bits needed. So if you can get some other guys interested down there, and want to hold a contest, but don't have a CD or are unsure about putting on an event, we can help.

(btw, I don't read these forums as much as I used to, but you can reach me faster on my cell at 443-995-2962 or in email. My address is kirk at wheek dot org.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Welcome Ted. Kirk or our treasurer Chris can help you with meets in that area. Hope you get a chance to cut my streamer.[:)]
Axeman

Post by Axeman »

Thank you all for the replys. I am very excited about the prospect of competing. I have quite a bit still left to do prior to the August,11th contest. I would love to have three or four aircraft ready for each event, But it doesn't look like thats going to happen. My wife keeps mentioning something about our bank account? Im not sure what she talking about. At the very least I just want to make it there, with all of the necessary requirements, prepared to compete. If anything, I will make a nice drone!
Thanks again for all of the support, I look forward to meeting some of you soon.
montague

Post by montague »

Ted, while it's nice to have a pile of planes and have everything all setup, don't be afraid to show up even if you only have 1 or 2. We take it easy on new guys, our contests are laid back, and there's plenty of help to be had putting things together, loaning parts, and so on when necessary.
Axeman

Post by Axeman »

Thanks Kirk, If thats the case than I don't have any excuses. I will see you there.
Uh-Oh

Post by Uh-Oh »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by montague</i>
<br />Ted, while it's nice to have a pile of planes and have everything all setup, don't be afraid to show up even if you only have 1 or 2. We take it easy on new guys, our contests are laid back, and there's plenty of help to be had putting things together, loaning parts, and so on when necessary.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Last year, at my 1st contest (Mid America Combat Championship in TN), I flew all 8 rounds with 1 plane. That plane was in 5 mid airs that day, 2 of which ended in a dirt nap, and thanks to all the guys there, they kept me flying with parts and good help. These guys talk a lot of smack but, they're pretty down to earth and very helpful people.

That same plane will be at this years event with 3 more of it's brothers!
Axeman

Post by Axeman »

Thanks Dave. I just hate not being prepared, but I guess the best way to learn what works is to get out there and fly. Are you going to make it to VA for the Aug.11th contest?
Uh-Oh

Post by Uh-Oh »

I wish I woukld be able to. Statistically, it's not real likely though. Cotton harvest season is real close to that date. We're usually running wide open at work getting our own , and customer's trucks ready to haul. I'll have to take a "wait and see" stance on it. The past couple of years though, we've been working 7 days a week at that time.

Our club get's to fly as the halftime/downtime show at a bi-annual airshow (SkyFest) here in Jackson TN in mid September. I saw a Pitts and an Extra flying last year...., above the trees...., about a mile and a half away...., as I was hauling cotton modules to the Gin that weekend. Made me sick! But, no haul, no eat.
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

Ted if you take one or two planes for 8 rounds of openb just stay away from the furball[:D], hunt them from the outside[}:)], It reduces the chance of a midair, (but I can't garantee this[:D]) I did this before but now it all FURBALL BABY[:p]!!
Welcome to the Darkside!
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

Ted forgot to tell you, Rc Combat Is the most fun you are gonna have with an rc airplane, Trust me.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Ted, I'm 61 years old and didn't start flying rc until 2000. In 2001 I started flying rc combat and haven't had as much fun since I was a kid in high school.[:D] I now regularly get beat by a 10 yr old newcomer but I have as much fun as ever.[;)][:D]
Axeman

Post by Axeman »

Thanks for all of the support. I am really looking forward to it. By the way, I am still hung up in my design phase for my open-B plane. I am not sure what material to use for a fuse. I was wondering if most folks are still using those flat bats I have read about, or is everone using space age composites and such? I don't want to lavishly copy someone elses design but I would like to be competetive. Any help would be appreciated.
boiler

Post by boiler »

The flat bats are great and a few still use them. I don't know where to get them. The two low tech fuselage materials are aluminum cap strip for 1/4 inch plywood from Lowe's which cost about $4 and a plastic electric baton (fence post) from TSC that costs about $3 and will make two. The plastic one needs additional materials for a motor mount. People usually use a piece of hdpe cutting board from Wal-mart. If you want to look at a kit for starters, Hat Trick enterprises has a fence post design and Alex Treneff has an aluminum rail design. Kirk has his own design which works well but it uses CNC to make the fuselage. He doesn't have kits. There are many more out there with varying degrees of high tech but the first two I mentioned are low tech and work well.