Engines types

Check here for the latest and greatest engine modifications.

Moderator: hbartel

sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Engines are like food and females, folks have different tastes, however certain engines are perennially popular. In SSC the .15LA is the most popular but it is not without its foibles. The magnum 15XL is also popular (less than the LA) and also has its foibles. For 2610 or Open B, the Webra is the current star, very powerful but a bit high-strung, reliability is a bit questionable as i know of several that have blown up. The 25FX is by far the most popular, about the most user-friendly engine of any size you will find, right out of the box, and plenty powerful. The Norvel .25 has the best power-to-weight ratio and is good if your planes are too heavy but talk about finicky, here's an engine with some REAL foibles, all of which can be surmounted if you have the inclination. Magnum 28XL is a good reliable engine but a bit of a vibrator with a touchy carb. Irvine 25 seems a solid performer but not too widely used, can't say why, there have been some real successful users of the Irvine. LimitedB and 2548 I think the 25FX will be the perfect engine for these classes, certainly able to approach or make the performance limit with anvil-like reliability.
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

Kurt, welcome, I noticed that you registered back in 2002 but just recently have posted to the forum. Hopefully you've found some spare time to get into R/C combat. Anything that the RCCA can do to help, we'll be glad to try and answer your questions. We all started at the same place and had lots to learn. [:)]
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Jeez..I've ran my Norvel 25 for a couple of years with no probs, both plain and ball bearings. The Norvel just needs a good, old fashioned break in, and make sure you tighten the head and backplate after each tank on the test stant. I've had virtually NO problems with mine, they are more reliable than my LA 15s...