Funeral Dirge for the 25FX!!!

Check here for the latest and greatest engine modifications.

Moderator: hbartel

Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

I would rather not dream about what that HIGH dollar engine would look like Gary after venturing into the CONCRETE plant at LSN
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Team Scharnell</i>
<br />I would rather not dream about what that HIGH dollar engine would look like Gary after venturing into the CONCRETE plant at LSN
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yeah, fortunately the FX was fairly inexpensive to repair. I cringe at the thought of repairing a $275 Jett .30. I FINALLY did figure out what the the problem was, and haven't had any radio problems since I switched out receiver batteries. I gave all my bad luck to Neil D and his Spectrum (he just bought a Hitec to replace it) [}:)]
boiler

Post by boiler »

Frank, I totaled a FX last year over there. A perfect full powered lawn dart.[B)] I did manage to salvage the sleeve, piston, rod and back-plate.[;)]
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

Does anyone have a timing wheel? If so, check the timing on an OS 25FX and then compare it to the GMS .25 It would be interesting to see if the timing is the same, or different. If it's significantly different, it might be possible to modify the timing on the GMS to make it a stronger running engine. Then we would have an inexpensive alternative to the discontinued FX. Just a thought.
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

there is one on this site
http://www.rccombat.com/asp/workshop/workshop.asp
its from grim reapper or mr. Tong. its about halfway down
the GMS could be a good engine. Spaddawg uses them. he has great luck with them
they have to be really be broken in
Cross Check

Post by Cross Check »

Hi Frank S,

I think your idea of contacting Magnum is great. I could easily get the names of 15-20 R/C Combat pilots who would buy a Magnum XLS.25, if it was available.

Just has to 'equal' the performance of the O.S.FX.25 and be close in weight. (same mounting holes would be great ! ) Remote NV please !

One of our 'selling points' of Maac Scale Combat is(was) 'all you need is to take out the baffle of an OSFX.25' and you will have equal power to everyone else.

The Magnums (GP and Pro.25s) of mine did very well for me until the FX came out.
I'm sure Magnum would be up to the task and they might even be cheaper than the OSFX.(prices around here started at $160 got down to $100, but on average more like $110/120CDN)

Several of us tried running the GMS.25, around 8yrs ago as an ($80) alternative to the OSFX. Seemed like only 1 out of 4 was any 'good'. Common problems were air leaky carb barrels and big mufflers that would refuse to stay with the engine. They were heavy too. A 'good' one could not match an OSFX.
I have no idea how current GMS.25s run, I have not seen one for 6-7 yrs.

I sure hope a replacement for the O.S.FX.25 will come up...

I want to keep flying planes like this with my buddies:
http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/attachm ... 1244475083

R/C Combat is the most fun you can have with a model airplane...

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

We appreciate the feedback. You are not the only combat competitors to give us this same message.

The magnum engineers have been provided with the comments and we are considering this very thing.

Mike

Mike Greenshields

This was the Email the wife recieved today.
And on a side note, the wife fired off a very nasty email too Great Planes who is the exclusive distibutor for OS engines.
She recieved a reply from one of the UPPER big wheels who said he was unaware of the 25FX being discontinued.
Well there is no longer any stock of 25FX engines as of today.
The wife tried too order some in this morning.

We shipped out are last one we had in stock today [:(!]
Like I posted earlier get repair parts when you can. Too keep your old ones going.

I will post any updates we get here.
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

is there a number that we can call to magnum to request a 28XLS? we ALL need to call them. if we don't. it will be our fault they dont do it
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

Andy,
I would try contacting Hobby People stores or I should say there web site. If I get more contact info such as upper management I will post it here. Im suprised that anyone returned the wifes Email. [:D]
This is when we get told oh its OK our new stuff will be better then before.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Stopped in my LHS yesterday for a piece of brass tubing to fix my eyeglasses. Saw a new 25 FX in the case and bought it. Got charged $80 and asked if he could get any more. He went to his computer and was surprised they were gone. I told him he could had sold several dozen if he could have gotten them. I went to my bag of broken engines the day before and got a new crankcase and head for an engine that suffered damage at the NATS. Not many good parts left in the bag so I better take care of the 14 I've got.
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

here is the Global web site link
http://magnum.globalhobby.com
and here is the phone number 714-963-0329

call and e-mail them for a magnum 28XL to XLS upgrade with the RNV
the XLS run so much better than the XL. and the 28 is the only one that wasnt redone.
now if they come out with a .29 or .30 XLS that would be awesome also
combatgoblin

Post by combatgoblin »

A .28XLS would be nice but if its not a .25 that leaves out 2548
Fred420

Post by Fred420 »

how about 2848 [8D] new class???
boiler

Post by boiler »

I've already considered the rule change if OS abandons us.
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

I have recently been communicating with Global on the best way to reduce the RPMs of the 15 XLS engine to make it easier to be SSC legal. They have been very helpful in this matter. More info on this in the future.

In some of the communications, the Magnum Product Manager said that the tooling for the present Mag 28 was at the end of its life cycle and is due for replacement. The discontinuation of the OS 25FX is only an additional incentive. Their biggest stumbling block for Global is deciding on the displacement of the new XLS engine.

RCCA's history and present rules for allowable displacement for this class engine is somewhat schizophrenic. Present classes are for 0.25, 0.28, and 0.30 cid displacement. The prop make, size, and rpm limits are the controlling requirements. Engine displacement is a redundant restriction if the rules are adhered to for each class and thus limits options in choosing a propulsion system. These non-consistent displacement requirements makes it challenging for a company to make a size selection based on our needs, as we are all over the place.

RCCA should unify the displacement for Open B, Limited B, and 2548 and adopt an uniform displacement for future classes. This would help make RC Combat a more viable market for the engine manufacturers. With the growth of electrics in this size of aircraft, we as a group need to make it easier or we run the risk of all suitable engines being discontinued.

At one time the USA was the dominate market. Now it is just one of many in the world. What makes sense is 0.30 cid and not 0.25 cid size. Metric size progression of 2.5, 5.0, 7.5, and 10 cubic centimeters equate to 0.153, 0.305, 0.456, and 0.610 cid respectively. Most engine manufactures appear to follow metric sizes.