Engine Gasket Material

Tell us what you do to get the best performance from your engines.

Moderator: hbartel

sgilkey

Engine Gasket Material

Post by sgilkey »

I hate using RTV for sealing stuff like backplates, if you need to disassemble the engine to flush out dirt, etc, the silicone slivers make a mess. I bought a tube of Hilomar (might be spelled Hylomar) at the auto parts store. This is a non-hardening sealer that is designed for water pump fittings, exhaust sensors, etc. I've used it on a few of those lovely 15LA backplates and so far it seems like good stuff.
thojo

Post by thojo »

someone suggested using plumbers tape, I've tried it on 2 backplates with good success...
Steve108

Post by Steve108 »

Hi, I just saw this thread. When I need a small gasket I simply use a file folder and stamp pad. Say we are doing a muffler, stamp the muffler flange, cut out the inside, then outside. and then punch the screw holes with a leather punch. Works great and I bet it would work for a backplate if you stamped the engine block.

Steve
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

That does sound like an interesting way of making gaskets! [:)]
Ben Morrow

Post by Ben Morrow »

Roy, Scott and others,
Been doing it for years on cars, but never thought of it on Airplane engines! I always used a detergant box , like Tide of something close to that thikness. But I must say the folder paper sounds even better for smaller parts..It's still good to place a very then coat of silicone on the paper. (Both sides) but it's not enough to make a mess. Or RTV sealer. Heat won't break it down.. It works VERY well too!
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

Scott,

I just ran across this site last week. http://www.airfieldmodels.com/index.htm

In addition to a good source of building tips, there's a pretty good section about engines, one page is dedicated to backplate gasket.

Looks like this site's been around for awhile, so maybe you "old-timers" already know about it.

HTH.
Dawg

Post by Dawg »

Plumbers Teflon Tape works perfectly and comes in a handy carrying case. All the Georgia Boyz use it