MEGATECH .15

Tell us what you do to get the best performance from your engines.

Moderator: hbartel

topspeed

MEGATECH .15

Post by topspeed »

A brand new engine:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXHVS9&P=0

Any idea of the output and weight ? Ballbearings rulez.
boilermaker

Post by boilermaker »

Don't do it, you'll be happier with a .15 LA

This megatech is also a mecoa wildcat .15 and a leo .15 (just different badging)
It can be purchased through ehobbies.com for $55 btw.

I made this mistake over christmas, sold it on ebay at a loss and bought a new os to replace it.
topspeed

Post by topspeed »

Ok tell us how this cool looking engine performed ?
boilermaker

Post by boilermaker »

I got it to turn about 17.5k with a 6.5x3 prop (cut down). This was after sealing backplate, carb, etc. I put this same prop on an OS .15 to break in and turn up around 21-22k.

That said, the carb and needle seemed fairly decent... very much like an OS FP without remote needle. The muffler could have been an OS reject (looked to be the exact same muffler, just an ugly casting). I pulled off the head and found more large voids in the casting on the underside of the head than the moon has craters.

I had read all the posts that said to use the OS .15 and chose to ignore them briefly when I saw I could get this engine for the same price. I won't be making that mistake again.
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

I've had two of the Leo 15s from Just Engines and found them to be great running, user friendly engines. The only problems I had was they were not as durable in a crash as the OSLA., and the exchange rate put them out of our price range. I had no problems with the power or QC.
topspeed

Post by topspeed »

Thanks for the answers. One more question; what is the weight of the engine..lighter than OS LA I assume ?

Boilermaker,

Did you use the recommended 10% nitro when running it with a 6/3 ?

best regards,

Juke T[:)]
montague

Post by montague »

That's really strange. A few guys around here used those engines, or some other "Megatech" .15 in A class. They turned up with the OS .15CV-A, well beyond anyting an LA would put out. That was with a MAS 7x4 prop though. The quality control on them is a bit random, but all the ones I've seen have performed quite well. They do take a bit of time to break in though.
topspeed

Post by topspeed »

Hi Montaque,

Does that mean it is better than a OS LA ? My english is not perfect..that is why I ask about it.
Megatech .15 does look a bit like OS CV_A.

rgds,

Juke
boilermaker

Post by boilermaker »

Top speed, I can't find a listing for the weight of the Megatech .15 anywhere, but it should be quite close to the 6.5 oz of the OS .15 LA

If they're good enough for guys flying open-A I'm disappointed that I didn't get better results from the one I had. Then again, I've yet to be disappointed with the LA that I replaced it with. I followed the same procedure for break in that I use for the OS .15 (very close to Lou's instructions on georgiacombat.com).
boilermaker

Post by boilermaker »

BTW, if anybody wants one for $55 here's the link
http://search.ehobbies.com/?int=1&ext=1 ... 07&x=4&y=6
montague

Post by montague »

Did I mention that the quality control on them has been a problem? If you have one that won't turn up, check it over carefully.

We've seen some come from the factory with the exhaust outlet not drilled right, and one had at least one of the mounting lug holes not drilled. Those were owned by Chris and Bill. And Earl had one of them shed a bearing in flight, making a real mess out of the inside of the engine. That thing was screaming before the bearing cage let go though (7x4 prop, who who knows what for fuel). Earl is still running that engine, and even with the score markes on the piston, it still puts out reasonable power.

I honestly would expect it to put out more power than an LA in the air, yes. However, I don't own one myself, and I certainly haven't done head-to-head comparisons with the LA, so I'm not 100% certain. But you couldn't tell the CV-A planes from the Megatech planes in A class around here when it mattered.
topspeed

Post by topspeed »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by montague</i>
<br /> And Earl had one of them shed a bearing in flight, making a real mess out of the inside of the engine. Earl is still running that engine, and even with the score markes on the piston, it still puts out reasonable power.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

If Earl Seaholm is flying with that Megatech .15 I need no more proof of what it is worth.[:)][^][:D][8D]
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Earl Nestor not Earl Seaholm.
montague

Post by montague »

Right, what Lou said. Wrong Earl there.