what Tach are you using

Tell us what you do to get the best performance from your engines.

Moderator: hbartel

danpow1973

what Tach are you using

Post by danpow1973 »

I have recently gotten really frustrated wilh my intelibe tach. If it sets in the sun for more than 5 minutes the display turns dark. I know the TNC is no longer avalable and wish i had one, but what tachs are being used. I at least want one that works in the sun...
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

Dan, that is characteristic of any LCD screen, that when it gets extremely hot, like exposed to direct sunlight for a period of time that the lcd display will turn dark or black. It's not really a function of what brand of tach you have. The same can and will happen to transmitter displays also.
RH

Post by RH »

Leave all your LCD displays laying face down or in the shade until you are ready to use them. If you wear polarized sun glasses, they sometimes make an LCD display look black, also.

rh
danpow1973

Post by danpow1973 »

My Globee seems really sensitive to sunlight It is rare that I am ever able to use it it gets dark after a couple of minutes. I have heard great things about TNC. Skyborn bought the rights to them then sold the company skyborn/powerflight to an individual that ran the company into the ground. unfortunately it is all tied up in the legal system and TNC will never again be
mad

Post by mad »

I use the hobbico mini tack Its small enough to keep in your pocket. when I first got it I tested it against various tacks at a contest and it was accurate. The only thing that takes getting use to is 17500 rpms reads 1750 It doesnt show the single digit ./
RH

Post by RH »

Yeah Dan, I'm fighting the Globee, too. Try to hold it at an angle so the sun doesn't fall directly on the face, always lay it face down, don't throw it farther than you want to go look for it........

rh
boiler

Post by boiler »

I had a glo bee and it was trash after 6 months. I have a tower Hobbies tach now and haven't had any problems except when I leave it in the sun.
Don Pruitt

Post by Don Pruitt »

<font face="Arial">A quick way to check the accuracy of your tach is to set it for a two blade prop and point it at a lit florescent light fixture. It should read 3600 rpm or 3.6K.</font id="Arial">
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Dan,
I too have the Globee. It fades in sunlight. Lay it face down on the grass, or better yet face down in shadow. I know that Don and MAD both use the Tower tach, it works much better and costs less.
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Don Pruitt</i>
<br /><font face="Arial">A quick way to check the accuracy of your tach is to set it for a two blade prop and point it at a lit florescent light fixture. It should read 3600 rpm or 3.6K.</font id="Arial">
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

You know Don, I've always wondered why our tach did that. When I read your post it just hit me. It must be the 60 cycles in the current to the light x 60 seconds. [:)]
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

Im using the Hangar9 DVT combo.
I havent left it in the sun yet, so tell what the sun does to it.
It is sensitive on readings thou depending on the angle of your engine and the sun during the day.

Frank S
goony

Post by goony »

just checked my thundertigre tacho with a flouresent tube and it reads 3000rpm would it read different because of the uk voltage being 240? if not can they be re-calibrated?

goony
dirko

Post by dirko »

That would not be a function of voltage, but would be affected by frequency of the supply. Do they run 50HZ in the UK?
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dirko</i>
<br />That would not be a function of voltage, but would be affected by frequency of the supply. Do they run 50HZ in the UK?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yes, you're right, voltage doesn't have anything to do with it, it's the frequency and I do believe that the UK uses 50HZ instead of 60HZ, which would give a different reading and 3000 would be correct for 50HZ.