Glow plugs

Tell us what you do to get the best performance from your engines.

Moderator: hbartel

Darrin lawler

Glow plugs

Post by Darrin lawler »

Hey guys,
I'm getting ready to place an order to Tower and need some glow plugs. What are you using on the la15's and 25fx?
Thanks,
Darrin
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

What % of fuel are you using ?
Iv'e ok with 15% in a 25 fx and a Thunderbolt HD from Global hobbies
15% too 30 % on the LA 15 with a R5 plug from OS
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

On the OS engines, the A3 or Tower plugs seem to last a long time and perform well. The OS 8 also seems to last forever but is more costly. I don't really see an advantage to the 8 over the A3 to offset its added cost. The K&B 1L is a very nice performer too. The Fox #8 is a colder plug which seems to work well in the OS engines, but in some engines it will really load up and mid-throttle settings. In my experience the OS engines and in particular the 25FX are not very finicky on plugs.
boiler

Post by boiler »

I've used the tower plugs for both engines with good results. I've played around with "super plugs" of various brands that I bought for about the same price at super discouts at the Toledo expo and found little difference. Some don't hold the glow driver as well.
cipoll717

Post by cipoll717 »

Scott,

re: <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">it will really load up at mid-throttle settings<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

what the hell is a mid-throttle setting??
EK

Post by EK »

Mid-throttle setting: 1) throttle setting used after launch while waiting for the horn 2) throttle setting used to preform a 'Maverick'
RH

Post by RH »

I've been running the pricey R5s for a while now but the only one I've ever smoked was from shrapnel from a blown bearing.