Uniflow fuel system

Tell us what you do to get the best performance from your engines.

Moderator: hbartel

Bruce B

Uniflow fuel system

Post by Bruce B »

just installed a uniflow system on my plane.now when i land pressure from the tank pushes fuel through the line to the carb,filling the motor with fuel.i can pull out the plug in the overflow line and relieve the pressure and it stope. is this a common problem or did i mess up something?
duncanj

Post by duncanj »

We usually just use a fuel clip that is made from a piece of cutting board, a sewing bobbin, and a rubber band in between flights.
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

could you elaborate on the fuel clip?the engine is fully enclosed in a cowl so access to the carb line is tough.
EK

Post by EK »

Bruce, your uniflow setup is the problem because both lines are in the fuel and until the pressure is relieved from the tank, it's going to push the fuel out (both the pressure line and engine feed line). If the level of fuel is above the needle, once started it will continue to siphon. Between rounds and left in the sun to heat up, the tank can start it's own siphon. Clothes pins will work until you see the clips at a meet. I use Hayes tanks mounted on their side. When over 1/2 full, I have the same problem.
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

i have figured out a quick fix that seems to work pretty good. pulled the one way valve out of the muffler line. now there is no pressure when the engine isn't running. the uniflow system works good for me. i can set it and it doesn't lean out as fuel burns off. ill check out the clips in a couple of weeks at the next meet. thanks guys