Magnum 15 Setup

Tell us what you do to get the best performance from your engines.

Moderator: hbartel

mlapacz

Magnum 15 Setup

Post by mlapacz »

I have a new in the box Magnum 15 and was wondering what everyone does to their engines before putting that first tank full of fuel through it. I'm hoping to learn some tricks that will help me set my new engine up right. Also, any tips on proper break in would be appreciated. Thanks for sharing.
Mike L.
Mike LaPacz
RCCA#1046
Green Bay, WI
lightning

Re: Magnum 15 Setup

Post by lightning »

Mike,
You are going to get a million different opinions on this!
FWIW the first SSC plane I flew at Wingnut Acres Labor Day weekend had a brand new Mag 15XLS with less than one tank through it.
I ran 5% nitro fuel and set it slightly rich. It was turning 17,200 rpms and pinched close to 17,500.
It flew four rounds of combat and never missed a beat and did not overheat.
By the end of the competition it was nicely broken in.

There are those who swear letting them scream to over 20,000 rpms with a 7x3 prop will ensure they are going to run well. I have never seen the need for that.
Keith Jones
AMA CD #7601
Radio Control Club of Detroit
and proud member of the OGC
mlapacz

Post by mlapacz »

Keith,
Thanks for your thoughts.
I've heard of guys who take their engines apart, flush them to remove any possible contaminates, and then reassemble with RTV to eliminate any possible leaks. I've never done this, but wondered if it made a difference.
The Magnum instructions say to start rich and slowly lean out the engine through a series of 5 minute runs and 10 minute cooling periods using 10 percent fuel and a 9/5 prop. I usually follow this procedure.
I like to hear what others have done.
Mike L.
Mike LaPacz
RCCA#1046
Green Bay, WI
mlapacz

Post by mlapacz »

I should have typed 8/4 prop for breaking in the XLS 15.
Mike L.
Mike LaPacz
RCCA#1046
Green Bay, WI
davidturner

Post by davidturner »

I break mine in with a SSC prop 8x3. Run rich as it can go and run. I pinch the line to have it lean out for 4 oz, then I let it cool 10 min run a second and third tank the same way. After that I fly the engine as normal. I can get 17.5-18k this way.
David Turner
RCCA member #934
AMA Contest Director / Leader Member # 8822
Texoma RC Modeler's member
http://www.texomarc.org/