Winter debrief

It may be a little cold for combat but there are other things to talk about.

Moderator: hbartel

AIM

Re: Winter debrief 2009

Post by AIM »

ZenManiac wrote:
PM me separately if you want more info...I don't want to hijak your thread on Scott's bunny killing with my slope stuff. :wink:

-= Dave
Your not gonna hijack anything...
The whole idea of this thread is to talk about your winter hobbies. (whatever they are)
I'm wanting to hear more about those slopey's and right here seems a good spot to talk about em.

BTW.. Scotts bunny killin leaves quite a bit to be desired. He had a pheasant flyin circles today and after 6 or more shots still failed to bring it down
"my only regret is that I have but one streamer to give to my fellow competitors"
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

AIM wrote:BTW.. Scotts bunny killin leaves quite a bit to be desired. He had a pheasant flyin circles today and after 6 or more shots still failed to bring it down
So he has trouble hitting flying things? No wonder he's mostly just ground crew for Eric and The Kid! :o
David Lorentzen
RCCA# 832
AIM

Post by AIM »

I might be exaggerating a teeny bit though. :wink:
"my only regret is that I have but one streamer to give to my fellow competitors"
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

AIM wrote:I might be exaggerating a teeny bit though. :wink:
I'm sure Scott would never exaggerate anything about your flying techniques, would he? :P
David Lorentzen
RCCA# 832
lightning

Post by lightning »

ZenManiac wrote:
AIM wrote:I might be exaggerating a teeny bit though. :wink:
I'm sure Scott would never exaggerate anything about your flying techniques, would he? :P
Dunno 'bout that! :wink: :wink: :wink: Seems to me we ALL have to exaggerate AAAron's flying techniques, otherwise there'd be 'nuthin to talk about. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Keith Jones
AMA CD #7601
Radio Control Club of Detroit
and proud member of the OGC
AIM

Post by AIM »

I gotta tell the truth...
Scott had a tough shot. Rooster went up and around the trees pretty quick. I got some mileage over it though. Ribbed his ass all day over it. :D
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Aaron's wrong. Here's how it went. We were walking across a field of low weeds and came into an area of taller grass, and some swampy area with reeds maybe 10 feet high or so. I announced to Eric and Aaron, "I predict we will rustle a pheasant out of this stuff!" (We hadn't seen a pheasant all day, we were going mostly for rabbit, so I was mostly blowing smoke, but oh well). I walked past a bunch of reeds when about 10 feet behind me, over my right shoulder, I hear the telltale sound of a flushing pheasant!!! Now, this bird's gotta rise a solid 10+ feet vertically before he can even start to move horizontal-like. This gives me time to turn around. I even take the time, once he pops out, to determine "Yep, it's a rooster, I can shoot him! And boy he's a fat one!!!" I shoulder my gun, fire, and MISS. I later likened the shot to shooting at a volleyball on the end of a broomstick, the dang bird was barely moving. I DID see what I thought were some feathers drop off, so I figure I hit him with a pellet or so. Or maybe he just shed a feather from all his flapping. Or maybe he voided his intestines, on account of the 12ga shotgun report about 15 feet from his butt. On any account, he proceeded to fly horizontally away from me. I had time for a second shot before he was obscured by the treeline. Yep, missed that one too.

SO, I predicted a bird, had ample warning to aquire the target, and got two clean shots at a fat, slow moving rooster. And MISSED.

Aaron got it wrong, the bird did NOT fly in circles waiting for me to shoot him, and I did NOT get six shots off! He MIGHT be right in that, well, I just plain MISSED!!! Sheesh.......
Scott Gilkey
RCCA# 330
AIM

Post by AIM »

It's taken me a week to get an update on the latest hunt but I have finally gotten a minute to sit down and relax. LAST weekend Eric and Scott made the drive for another hunt. We got right into the rabbits but this particular section was very difficult to get good shots off. Very thick with small trees and brush. You could see glimpses of the rabbits but very little opportunities for good shots. In all total we moved about 9 or 10 bunnies but only ended up with 5. We could have added a pheasant to the bag BUT...... Well.... you know.... Scott.....

After the hunt my wife made rabbit pot pie for us for the first time, and boy that was good. I've ate rabbit a zillion different ways over the years and I gotta say I think that is the best.

As I said in an earlier post I might just get Eric to clean all the game and I could just sit back and have a cold one. Well I got him there. My son in law Nick showed up and ended up helping out but for the most part Eric's got it figured out.

During the rabbit cleaning I offered up a one dollar bet that I could clean one quicker than Eric and Nick both. I got mine done in 2.43 and they got theirs done in just over 2 minutes flat. I guess I taught them to well!

I'm looking forward to the next hunt which I hope will be in the next week or two.

On a side note.
My son in law Nick has started hunting this year. I took him deer hunting and rabbit hunting a few times. Any ways one day several weeks back he calls and says he shot a bunny and wants my help cleaning him. Well he brings this poor rag of guts down and I ask him ("what happened to it?")
He told me that he shot the thing and just to make sure it was dead, shot it again at "POINT BLANK RANGE" ,,,,, with a 12 gauge. Needless to say my daughter Val told him that he would need a few more before she could make a meal out of what little was left. I guess Scott will have to show Nick the finer points of the neck twist....
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

The boys did beat Aaron though I'm not sure they cleaned their bunny as well as he did. They also left a key body part in place, which Aaron removed for them. He gave them a break by claiming that it would have taken them less time to remove said body part than the differenc in time, so they still won. I say I'm not sure they would ever have cut that part out, I know Eric is a bit repulsed....Nick probably would have done it though, he seems pretty tough.

Actually Eric is doing quite well with the cleaning and better than I, who prefers to serve as photographer for the ordeal. Thanks to Aaron for the cleaning lessons! Now Eric wants to go hunting locally. There is state land on which our flying club is located, we plan to try that, but the weather this weekend is not cooperating (rainy). We have no dogs but figure we'll try the stomp method to flush them. I'd like to train Karen to be the stomper but not sure she will cooperate. Also might try to train our furry lap dog Havanese as a rabbit dog, he's pretty fierce. Our Labrador Daisy already has a job (leader dog) so she can't be trained to hunt, though she wants to!

The rabbit pot pie was DELISH and Karen says she needs the recipe if we ever bag a bunny locally....
Scott Gilkey
RCCA# 330
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

Been spending yet another winter working on the wifes old wood Chris craft. Hopefully we can finish the bottom yet this winter and flip it back over. '68 chris 283 chevy.

we set up a shooting range inthe other end of the shop so we work for a while then shoot .22s and 38s with primer powered plastic bullits. Good way to spend cold and wet weekends. I dont hunt much but the boys and I are pretty hard on targets and clays. Dont have to clean them either.

More pics of this winters projects, boats, buggies and more. I always have a few going. I need to bust out a few wings before spring as well.

http://s133.photobucket.com/home/Bigblockbandit
Sean #838
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

That little boat is a WOODY. I love the photo of Ty and the water skis, looks so much like the cute little one of Lauri and her skis!!!
Scott Gilkey
RCCA# 330
AIM

Post by AIM »

Much to my dismay the season is over. I got in my last hunt of the season last Sunday. Had a GREAT day.
Scott and Eric were going to come down but things didn't work out for them. My buddy Kent and I took the dogs out for a run and what a day it was!
We only hunted for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours and probably saw 8 -10 bunnies. We invited 4 of them to come home with us for supper. There was a couple more that we could have had but we just opted to let the dogs run em a bit.
I got to tallying it up in my head and throughout this season we probably pulled 30+ rabbits out of 2 miles of RR tracks and there is still a boatload runnin around the same 2 miles. (goes to show the productivity of the rabbit)
Sorry I don't have any pics to show. (Scott does indeed have a value)(photographer)

I'm really looking forward to next years hunting but I suppose it's time to drag out the combat planes and get back to that.

I hope you all enjoyed the "winter debrief" and in a couple months we will have combat debriefs for ya.
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Aaron, thanks for affirming that I do have some value. Glad you left some "breeding stock" for next fall's hunting, we're planning on coming down to help you stock your freezer! Thanks a bunch for introducing us to hunting!
Scott Gilkey
RCCA# 330
AIM

Post by AIM »

Where did the last 3 posts go?
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
lightning

Post by lightning »

AIM wrote:Where did the last 3 posts go?
Moved to "It's cold outside" (new thread under Non-Combat events) as they really did not belong in the 2009 Debrief section.
Keith Jones
AMA CD #7601
Radio Control Club of Detroit
and proud member of the OGC