Winter debrief 2010

It may be a little cold for combat but there are other things to talk about.

Moderator: hbartel

AIM

Re: Winter debrief 2010

Post by AIM »

Big Dog wrote:
Any Members in SD or NB feel free to invite me for a good pheasant hunt???
OHH YESSSS!!!!!!!

And about those deer... Without pics it didn't really happen.. hahahaha :lol:
"my only regret is that I have but one streamer to give to my fellow competitors"
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

I have the pics its just not that easy for me to get them posted. And lets face it a couple of spikes just are good eating and not destin for the trophy room, Though I started keeping an electronic log book of my hunting so I can see whats works and dont work, also to document trends.
Craig Buttery
RCCA 874
Fly it like you stole it
AIM

Post by AIM »

I'd be interested to hear some of your observations from your logs. Of course the deer in Florida are gonna be affected by completely different things than Ohio deer.
I'm not sure wether my bad luck this year is just simply "bad luck" or wether other things have changed the dynamics and I didn't pick up on them. I know crops came off a month early this year and i think that changed a lot, but I'm not certain that it made the BIG difference....

Not just deer either. Seems hunting in general has been slow.
"my only regret is that I have but one streamer to give to my fellow competitors"
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

I just started this log in October, But I am tracking Solunar times moon phase and weather to find out if some of the common hunter myths can be busted. Harvesting crops and feed sources have a huge impact as the where and when deer move. With several early freezes down here it forced deer to the food plots early because the acorns spoiled and not much green on the ground. We had to put extra feed out to try and keep the deer from mowing the plots to the ground. Also Our rut is unpredictable, in south FL the deer will rut twice a year. Biologist call for the rut about the first or second week of January. Bucks were rutting and chasing before Christmas this year.

Traditionaly my best hunts have been during the waning moon, and use the solunar table when the major feed is within 45minutes of sunrise or sunset it is a good time to hunt. ( I plan to confirm this with my log) The wind and weather myths appear to be bunk The deer I shot on 12/26 the wind was a steady 20MPH gusting to 30.
Craig Buttery
RCCA 874
Fly it like you stole it
The End

Post by The End »

I thought Ohio deer were all in the Witness Protection Program?
AIM

Post by AIM »

Sure as hell seems that way. Muzzleloading season opens at 7:30 tomorrow morning. HERE WE GO AGAIN!!! woooohooo.

Hoping my dry spell comes to an end.
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
AIM

Post by AIM »

Pullin out all the stops this weekend. Did my deerkillinmoondancingpraytothegods chant before bed last night. This morning I poured a cup of warm deer urine from from the local petting zoo on my head. Rubbed my face with the feathers of a mourning dove that my cat caught. Chewed on a rabbit hide from a road kill. And last but not least. Listened to my good luck song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZOC1QXTQLk
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
boiler

Post by boiler »

Sounds like your prep for a combat meet. :lol:
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

Hows that workin out for ya? I think you would have better luck bumper huntin', and you stay warmer.
Sean #838
AIM

Post by AIM »

Gonna do some deep snow bunny huntin this weekend... They'll hole up in a hurry with this much snow so the shootin will be quick. The dogs will work their tails off in this snow but that's what they live for. It will be interesting to see how Rifle handles the snow drifts. Gunner and Tori know to just drive through them but I'll bet Rifle holds back. He's a bit young yet to have the (FEAR NOTHING) attitude.

I've got a month of huntin and then I spose I'll have to think about combat again. DAMN!!!!
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

There are some bunnies sitting in the fence row outside my office window, do you want me to run out and grab you one?
Sean #838
AIM

Post by AIM »

Well the spring turkey season is here and wow what a rush. I have never REALLY turkey hunted before. Sure I have gone in the past and just hoped one would come along but never had any luck. This year a buddy took me out a couple times and showed me how to call em in and such. He must have been a good teacher because last night about 8:15 I called in this 21 .lb bird with a 10" beard.

Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Very nice Bird, I need to get out and try some Turkey hunting myself. I will share a Pic of my latest non-combat project. Its a tricked out Bushmaster AR-15 with Mil-spec Aimpoint red dot sight Rock river comp 2 stage trigger and 3/4 length free float quad rail. The ACU Digi Camo is A duracoat finish and the Polymer bits and pieces are mostly Magpul. Image
Craig Buttery
RCCA 874
Fly it like you stole it
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

I see those along side the road in Colorado and Kansas,
As for Pheasant I deflect them off the Air dam and winshield in Nebraska.............
Shall I go on.............

It sucks driving for a living and seeing road kill :twisted:
Frank S
RCCA # 843
Parker, CO.
http://www.airscharnell.com
AIM

Post by AIM »

If you can grab some of those pheasants live, bring em to Ohio. We could use em.
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819