Winter debrief 2010

It may be a little cold for combat but there are other things to talk about.

Moderator: hbartel

grasshpr

Re: Winter debrief 2010

Post by grasshpr »

With all due respect, pictures of dead animals being gutted by the roadside or hanging up to be skinned are completely inappropriate for this web site. I for one do not believe this content fitting for our special interest, which last time I checked was RC Combat, not hunting game animals.
Have a safe season and enjoy your winter hunts but this is too much. I do not not wish to see this and think it should be removed. Post this on a hunting website where it belongs, not here.
Chris Handegard
RCCA 481
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

........With all due respect Chris, cut a little slack. I wouldn't object if you posted a pic of yourself on the golf course or if Bob posted a pic of his garden :D

For years I have seen folks burn out from combat and constant building. I feel It is exactly these OTC (other than combat) activities, whether it is huntin, fishin, gardening, golf etc., that help keep some of us sane and on the combat scene by providing a brief respite from the constant strain of maintaining a combat fleet.
I usully don't touch a combat airplane from Sept thru Dec. I just this week started building new fleet of all electric cobras and couldn't be having more fun because it all feels new again.
Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
grasshpr

Post by grasshpr »

Dane, I agree we all have other activities and rightly so. A steady diet of anything, even combat (yes I said it) would get monotonous. All I'm saying is that there is an appropriate place for everything. Golfing websites for golfing, gardening websites and blogs for gardening, etc. etc. etc. This one is dedicated to RC combat I thought, not what you do in the off season that has no bearing on that subject. The Debrief section invites everyone to "tell the results of their Combat related events", and I am sure to get a load of grief from the author and others, but the material posted in this thread is in no way shape or form a combat related event.

So to be fair, you ask me to cut some slack, so here goes. I have nothing against hunting, bagged a few pheasant in my younger days. Nothing wrong with it whatsoever. Never killed larger animals, but again, in my opinion, nothing wrong with it as long as you obey the law, treat your kills humanely and don't do it just for the sport of trophy killing.

ALL I'm saying is this content is inappropriate for this website. Aaron, please don't have hard feelings, I mean no disrespect, but I found your thread last year showing similar photos of hunting to be inappropriate also but kept silent to avoid a conflict. The administration saw fit to allow it. If I'm the only one who has an objection, then I'm obviously speaking out of turn and you'll hear no more from me on the matter.

Sorry but I find this subject matter to be not only inappropriate, but offensive. Offensive only in that it doesn't belong here, not that it's bad, wrong or anything else. I'm not judging what others are doing, far from it, have a safe season hunting. I'm only asking for some consideration and for those same others to be considerate of what impact their graphic posts of dead animals might have on those viewing them. Viewing them on a website that has nothing to do with hunting, golfing, gardening, etc. Thanks for sharing.
Chris Handegard
RCCA 481
AIM

Post by AIM »

Well Chris I see your point but I have to disagree that this is inappropriate. As I stated in the original post. This debrief is intended for ANYONE to share their off season interests. I for one feel there is nothing wrong with getting to know a little more about the people we fly combat with. I now know that Max is an avid duck hunter so the next time we meet we will have a common interest to discuss. I for one, like knowing something about the people I fly with. For instance, Rick Wise is into HAM radios, Keith Jones - antique model trains, Mike Fredricks - shooting, Sean Rupp - go cart racing, and the list goes on.
Many of us in the combat hobby have become friends away from the flying fields. Although we don't see each other during the off season this allows us to keep in touch and share a little bit of our lives with one another.
This debrief is not just about HUNTING. It is about us combat pilots. You, me, him, whoever. Whether it be golf, gardening, racing, hunting, underwater basket weaving, etc.
So instead of telling us to take it elsewhere. Why not post some comments about your other interests? I'd like to know em.
"my only regret is that I have but one streamer to give to my fellow competitors"
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
AIM

Post by AIM »

Another thing I'd like to point out is that this debrief is what is keeping me on this website. During the off season I totally shift interests and this allows me to keep combat in the back of my mind. I don't want to go to another website and and post things to people I'll never meet. I'd rather share it with people that have become my friends.
Plus I also believe that an overly strict adherence to "posting rules" has been the demise of many forums on the net today. I hope that rccombat does not become one of them.
I don't see the harm in an occasional STRAY from the main subject "combat". Especially during the off season.
"my only regret is that I have but one streamer to give to my fellow competitors"
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
M. Gillette

Post by M. Gillette »

Great thread Aaaaron!!

Congrats on your first Buck Eric!!

Scott, how many times did you want to hurl dressing that deer?

Aaron did you get a new pup??

Vegans, sheesh! :roll:
Mike Gillette
RCCA #894
AIM

Post by AIM »

Yep I got me a new hunting dog. say hello to Rifle. He is a brittany about 5 months old now. My other two dogs Gunner and Tori (short for citori) are getting pretty old now and getting pretty slow and worn out. Hopefully by next season Rifle will be ready to "hunt em up".
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Offensive? I could have somewhat understood IRRELEVANT (r.e. to combat), but OFFENSIVE? This says less about the thread than it does about certain folks' capacity for offense. If'n your not interested, just walk on by. In the meantime, it's an opportunity for COMBAT PILOTS to share their off-season interests, stay connected, and (gasp) HAVE FUN.

I'm not gonna be offended if someone posts a photo of a lunker fish, a piece of furniture they built, a Victrola they restored, a pole barn they built, or their new snowmobile or boat. OFFENDED??? whew. If I'm not interested in their OTHER hobbies I'll just skip right along. In the meantime, it's nice to have an additional reason to stop in on this site during the off-season!!!

Razor, nice to see you poke your head up!!! Much to my amazement I did NOT have the urge to hurl, but thanks for caring!!!
Scott Gilkey
RCCA# 330
AIM

Post by AIM »

By the way Gillette. Good to see your still hanging around. Love to see you back in the game some day.

Hey Bob... I think your a bit short on wings... Ya best get busy if your gonna get mine done too. :D
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
rawkdw

Post by rawkdw »

Chris,
If was so "Offensive" last year why did you click on it again this year? Your attitude is ridiculous. If you don't like it don't read it. And as far has "Renaming the thread" it reminds me of these places that take the word Christmas out and replace it with Holiday just because someone finds it "Offensive" despite what everyone else thinks.

Rick Wise
Rick Wise
RCCA #721
OGC
Donduck73

Post by Donduck73 »

Per the request of the officers this topic was moved to a new forum that was created for non combat related discussion.
Donald Grissom
RCCA# 722
RCCA Webmaster
[img]http://www.rccombat.com/images/rccombatsignature.jpg[/img]
lightning

Post by lightning »

rawkdw wrote:Chris,
If was so "Offensive" last year why did you click on it again this year? Your attitude is ridiculous. If you don't like it don't read it. And as far has "Renaming the thread" it reminds me of these places that take the word Christmas out and replace it with Holiday just because someone finds it "Offensive" despite what everyone else thinks.

Rick Wise
Rick, now we have a new category the Topic name has been restored.
Keith Jones
AMA CD #7601
Radio Control Club of Detroit
and proud member of the OGC
Donduck73

Post by Donduck73 »

Your wish has been done.It has been changed to winter debrief
Donald Grissom
RCCA# 722
RCCA Webmaster
[img]http://www.rccombat.com/images/rccombatsignature.jpg[/img]
lightning

Post by lightning »

Donduck73 wrote:Per the request of the officers this topic was moved to a new forum that was created for non combat related discussion.
Thanks Don, that was super quick!
Keith Jones
AMA CD #7601
Radio Control Club of Detroit
and proud member of the OGC
AIM

Post by AIM »

A big thank you to Don G and the officers. I hated seeing a prime opportunity for us pilots stay connected through the off season lost due to inappropriate posting on my part.
Last edited by AIM on Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819