It's cold outside!

It may be a little cold for combat but there are other things to talk about.

Moderator: hbartel

Bill Geipel

It's cold outside!

Post by Bill Geipel »

It's not combat, but it still is flying. Just with cold fingers and no one to chase.
DSCN1370 (Small) (WinCE).JPG
DSCN1370 (Small) (WinCE).JPG (16.22 KiB) Viewed 17113 times
Bill Geipel
RCCA# 619
ZenManiac

Re: It's cold outside

Post by ZenManiac »

Bill Geipel wrote:It's not combat, but it still is flying. Just with cold fingers and no one to chase.
Good for you, Bill. Hopefully once the Christmas floral rush is over you can get Bryan to join you and give you a target. :twisted:

For warmer hands, I recently got a transmitter "glove" from Hobby King. I wrote a review for a WI sloper's thread on RC Groups here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=70. We were flying slope for about an hour and a half last week in 17 degree temps and my hands were fine with just glove liners. Of course one nice thing about slope flying, thought, is that you don't get any of that cold fuel on your already cold hands. We've continued to fly at least once a weekend, wind permitting.

-= Dave
David Lorentzen
RCCA# 832
lightning

Re: It's cold outside!

Post by lightning »

Bill Geipel wrote:Thanks Dave. I checked on the glove and they're back ordered. Seems like the cold is getting to us here in the North. But at least there are no bugs at the field.
Moved to this new topic from the 2009 Winter debrief.
Keith Jones
AMA CD #7601
Radio Control Club of Detroit
and proud member of the OGC
AIM

Post by AIM »

Flying off of skis would be different. I always thought it would be fun to fly over a frozen lake. Unlimited runways.

Merry Christmas to you all.
"my only regret is that I have but one streamer to give to my fellow competitors"
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

lightning wrote:
Bill Geipel wrote:Thanks Dave. I checked on the glove and they're back ordered. Seems like the cold is getting to us here in the North. But at least there are no bugs at the field.
Moved to this new topic from the 2009 Winter debrief.
Bill,

A friend of mine uses a child's winter coat (unused, of course). He cuts off most of the arms and sews up the bottom (where the torso would come out). He uses a pin or carabiner to attach his neck strap or sometimes he uses a transmitter tray. Snowshoes are optional.

-= Dave
David Lorentzen
RCCA# 832
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

AIM wrote:Flying off of skis would be different. I always thought it would be fun to fly over a frozen lake. Unlimited runways.

Runways? I thought you flew combat!?

Depending on the lake ice condition, wheels work well too! Here's five take-offs at once from last weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtCtP9TtGpM
David Lorentzen
RCCA# 832
lightning

Post by lightning »

ZenManiac wrote:
AIM wrote:Flying off of skis would be different. I always thought it would be fun to fly over a frozen lake. Unlimited runways.

Runways? I thought you flew combat!?
Yeah, well, he thinks he flies combat too! We just humor him :mrgreen:
Keith Jones
AMA CD #7601
Radio Control Club of Detroit
and proud member of the OGC
The End

Post by The End »

Just can't imagine.... Today was perfect in San Clemente, CA. Just perfect....except that I was working.... I'll be working tomorrow too.....

And the wife bought me a brandy kinda new, already build ready to fly Aeroworks Extra 260 30% with a DA 100cc on it. I have no idea when I will get to fly it.... OH yes..when work slows down..... work never slows down... :?:
AIM

Post by AIM »

The End wrote:Just can't imagine.... Today was perfect in San Clemente, CA. Just perfect..
3.3° here in Ohio right now. Gettin ready to go cut some wood. EEESH!

Congrats on the new plane. I've never flown a biggy like that. I've been told that once you go BIG, you never wanna fly a .40 size again.
"my only regret is that I have but one streamer to give to my fellow competitors"
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
ZenManiac

Re: It's cold outside

Post by ZenManiac »

ZenManiac wrote:
Bill Geipel wrote:It's not combat, but it still is flying. Just with cold fingers and no one to chase.
Good for you, Bill. Hopefully once the Christmas floral rush is over you can get Bryan to join you and give you a target. :twisted:

For warmer hands, I recently got a transmitter "glove" from Hobby King.
-= Dave
Hey Bill,

Just talked with a friend of mine today, and it turns out he bought three of these Tx gloves, and would be willing to sell you one if you want. Let me know, and I'll get in touch with him. I can mail it to you, or you can come to Madison sometime with Bryan and try your hand at some slope soaring. Tons of fun, fly for hours, and you don't get cold hands from fuel!!! :D And sometimes there's mid-airs -- so you can feel right at home!!! :wink: :mrgreen:

-= Dave
David Lorentzen
RCCA# 832
Dr. Kamakaze

Post by Dr. Kamakaze »

Dave,
Where in Madison do you fly? I was talking to my brother-in-law who flies RC airplanes in Madison as well...I forget the name of the club he flies with at a park (Prarie park?). I did plant the seed of flying RC combat and he has a gnat that we've flown combat with. Anyways, he may be interested in joining you guys and checking it out.
Andy Runte
-TEAM KAMAKAZE-
RCCA #876
AMA #273119
Andy "Dr. Kamakaze" Runte
-TEAM KAMAKAZE-
RCCA #876, North Central District Rep
AMA #273119
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

Hi Andy,

Actually, I've been having so much fun flying slope that I haven't even started the engine of any of my combat planes in almost a year-and-a-half. :cry: I miss the smell of nitro, but I think my wife doesn't miss it on my clothes.

We have a couple of hills in the Middleton area that work for sloping W/NW and NE/E winds. We made a couple of field trips to the big "M" near Platteville, and three road trips to Spring Green this summer (there's a video I made of one Spring Green flight here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JqIaQnqVeg. We have found what I think is the ideal plane for small-ish Midwest slopes, which tend to be sort of thermally as well, the Alula from Dream-Flight. I think we have 10 or so flying in the area (Bryan has one). An 8 oz, $70 plane (minus the electrics) have given literally hundreds of hours of fun. There are a few video clips of Alulas on the local "group" OHPEA site on YouTube. We don't actually do combat, but we are known to chase and bump a little. :wink: And get chased by the hawks and falcons!

Sorry to get off combat topic here for a while. :)

-= Dave
David Lorentzen
RCCA# 832
AIM

Post by AIM »

ZenManiac wrote:Hi Andy,

Sorry to get off combat topic here for a while. :)

-= Dave
That's what this section of the forums is for.

If ya wanna see something REALLY exciting.. I can post some videos of me digging the snow out of my drive today.
We got POUNDED last night!
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

AIM wrote:If ya wanna see something REALLY exciting.. I can post some videos of me digging the snow out of my drive today.
We got POUNDED last night!
We got about 13" last night w. 40+ mph winds -- that's excitement enough for me.

-= Dave
David Lorentzen
RCCA# 832
AIM

Post by AIM »

NW Ohio got somewhere between 4 inches and 4 feet. Just depends on where you look. Ditto on the 40+ winds. It was wicked.
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819