WOOHOO!! Huntin time again!

It may be a little cold for combat but there are other things to talk about.

Moderator: hbartel

AIM

WOOHOO!! Huntin time again!

Post by AIM »

Well friends the 2011- 12 huntin season is here and I'm stoked up. I feel bad that I didn't get an opportunity to fly combat this year but I'll be back... In the meantime I'll be keeping in touch with hunting tales that you might enjoy.

Once again the Gilkeys are in for some backwoods fun. This year I finally got started turkey hunting and OOOHHHH what a blast!!!
A whiley sharp eyed critter if you've ever seen one. You almost so much as blink and they got ya.

Sunday morning we set up what I thought was about 100 yards from their roost site. Boy was I wrong. Ends up we were no more than 30-40 yards from them. They watched us come in and just sat still till they had us pegged and then decided to fly down away from us. (yep they busted us!)
Later that morning I had what I think was a jake (young male) talking back and forth with my call. I had him moving our way but couldn't bring him all the way in. It was cool though getting the bird to answer my calls for 10 minutes or so and at least getting it come our way. (the third pic is Eric and I trying to stalk into a better spot to see him) Well that bird got away so we left for lunch.
After lunch we went back out with hopes of intercepting them on their way back to the roost. In the end it was the best plan I had that day...
We had about 6 birds come in and Eric nailed his first turkey.
eric1.jpg
eric1.jpg (140.65 KiB) Viewed 18494 times
ericturkey.jpg
ericturkey.jpg (119.85 KiB) Viewed 18494 times
Attachments
ericstalk.jpg
ericstalk.jpg (187.39 KiB) Viewed 18493 times
"my only regret is that I have but one streamer to give to my fellow competitors"
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
AIM

Re: WOOHOO!! Huntin time again!

Post by AIM »

slow in here this year...
"my only regret is that I have but one streamer to give to my fellow competitors"
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

I think you need a couple of gilly suits!
Mike Fredricks
RCCA# 109
Home of Hattrick Enterprises
www.hattrickrc.com
AIM

Post by AIM »

Started back into bowhuntin this year. Been havin a blast but haven't seemed to put it all together yet. Missed two so far. Passed up a button buck this morning. Wishin now I had peeled him. Had to eat pizza instead of tenderloins... :cry:
Tomorrow I am taking Beau Rupp out for his first rabbit hunt. Hopefully we can get a few bunnies for the table.
I'll get some pics for you all.
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

Looks like a good time.
Thx for the pics!

We've been chasing waterfowl pretty hard as usual this time of year and still got a month and a half or so to go. The drought has really put the damper on hunting but we travel all over this end of the world to find um.

Good luck and take care!
Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Well we are still flying in Florida.. :D :D :D . But with my tight vacation schedule I will only fit in one hunting trip to the Florida panhandle in Dec. The area is great so I will post some pics after New Years.
Craig Buttery
RCCA 874
Fly it like you stole it
AIM

Post by AIM »

Well it was a pretty slow day hunting rabbits today. I felt bad for Beau Rupp that his first official hunt was a slow day. The dogs hit on a few but only one showed himself. Currently that rabbit is chillin out in my freezer. We stomped a fair amount of land today but I think it is still too warm and too many crops are still on for them to be in the thickets. Historically I always do much better once the weather turns nasty.
The rabbit we got was kinda interesting. He was sittin on the tracks and bolted down towards me. He broke the brushline and headed straight away but my new pup Colt was chasin so I held off afraid he might get in the line of fire. I caught a glimpse of Colt out of the way so I shot. Swore I missed the bunny. We followed up thinkin this rabbit would run again but my old boy Gunner had him down in the weeds. Gunner is all but done hunting but he still has a nose and still knows what to do. After that we hit a dry spell that lasted all day.
Later we saw some red squirrels playing in a tree. Beau hadn't got to pull the trigger yet so what the hell. Let's get a red. The squirrel offered up a shot and Beau got his first big game...
We did see a boatload of deer today. It was VERY windy and they were bedded down along the tracks and in the fields. All together we kicked up 9 deer. One was a GIANT! I didn't get the best look at him but what I did see was HUGE. Could possibly be the biggest I've seen live on the hoof ever.
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
AIM

Post by AIM »

In five days the Gilkeys will be back for youth deer gun season. I am praying we at least get to see this monster buck again. It would look great on Scott's living room wall right next to his velvet painting of Elvis and his autographed Air Supply album.
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
AIM

Post by AIM »

FINALLY!!!! My dry spell has ended! It took a few days this year but I finally got myself and a deer in the same time zone. I shot this goofy eight pointer at 95 paces on Saturday. His one side was loose from the skull plate. I'm guessing it was broke loose this spring while he just started to grow this years rack. I tried to age him from his teeth. He is either 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 years old. 200+ pounds. (I got just over 90 pounds of red meat from him)

He dropped in his tracks about 30 yards from where I dusted him.
Look at the gray on this old mans nose. They say a 4 1/2 year old (if that is what he is) is about 2% of the buck population in my area.
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
AIM

Post by AIM »

Just for reference. This brute is just a few inches shy of my 9 foot ceiling to floor.
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819