plastic types and EPP sources

Here you'll find helpful hints on making your planes stronger.

Moderator: hbartel

Hat Trick

plastic types and EPP sources

Post by Hat Trick »

Anyone know what type of plastics are being used in fuselages like the Bandit, Slasher, etc? Any advantages or disadvantages to the differant types being used?

I'm also looking for a source of EPP. Preferably in the midwest.

Any experience on leading edge toughness of EPP. Is the 1.3# stuff ok or in 1.9# stuff better?

Thanks!
NAES

Post by NAES »

I thought the Slasher was HDPE.

As far as EPP there is a source here in SoCal of all places called JSP international. (909)473-3703, you need to ask for Linette. I think they have other plants throughout the country so you might ask her.

The durability is still being tested but I can say that in the last contest I flew, my predator X took a wing to wing (not a T-bone) midair, busted the "unbreakable" spar. The HDPE (I think) LE materiel came loose in the foam but did not break I was truly amazed. Tufflights planes have some very good points and some weak ones that need resolving IMHO. But I suppose that's what scratchbuilding your own is supposed to resolve.

NAES

http://www.rccagallery.com/Gallery/view ... =Sean-Galt
slam

Post by slam »

mike,

the fuses you mention are hdpe. also made out of hdpe are the flat-bats as well as your bats.

hdpe is a killer plastic but the problems are that nothing will stick to it. no glue really works and neither does paint.

the cutting boards i buy at wal-mart for the engine mounts are this same plastic.

slam
BenJammin

Post by BenJammin »

There is also a plastic called UHMWPE which is similar to the HDPE. I know the fuse on a Wasp is similar to the cutting board stuff but it's not exactly the same. The Wasp fuse appears to be cut out of the same stuff as the firewall and fuse stiffener you use in your Chokers.

Miles from any City, MT
BigCountry

Post by BigCountry »

Mike,

As far as I know the fuse's on my WASP's are just standard HDPE but they are relatively thick and while a little heavy they're tough as nails.

As far as an EPP supplier this is about the best one that I've come across as far as reasonable cost..
http://www.rpvi.com/EPP.html

wing nut

Post by wing nut »

Mike, McMaster-Carr has HDPE available.

One size is 3/4" x 2 5/8" x 72" for $8.89.

It's a little hard to find on their web site (www.mcmaster.com) because it's listed under "Recycled Plastic Boards".

Hope this helps!
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

Thanks for all the info guys! I've got a couple promising leads on EPP locally.

I've got a CNC router in the works and hope to be able to produce fuselages and bat and flat bat firewalls etc.

Getting set up to cut EPP and should have wings with rubber baby buggy bumpers too!
Pat_Willcox

Post by Pat_Willcox »

OK I'll bite....What is the baby bumpers?

pw

BTW, Mike, I would like to put in order for 10 flat bat firewalls. thx
Dawg

Post by Dawg »

Pat, the EPP LE is the RBBB (rubber baby buggy bumper) DOH [:p]

David McGinnis
SSC McGrizzBat Flyer
http://www.hilltopflyers.com
AMA 767999 RCCA 698