Leading edge armor

Here you'll find helpful hints on making your planes stronger.

Moderator: hbartel

cipoll717

Leading edge armor

Post by cipoll717 »

to lead, or not to lead........

How does everyone feel about the leading edge armor issue??

I routinely use the 1/8" fiberglass spar, which is a pretty easy build, and generally will just bounce off a similarily armed plane.

I know there are others who use EPP, or no LE armor, or a spar set back a small distance.

What's everyone else using, and why?

To me, the question on whether or not to arm your plane is like a game theory issue- it is a definate competitive advantage (longer lasting wings). So, either everybody agrees not to use it (which is very unlikely), or everybody just uses it.

Personally, I'm for making planes as friendly, long lasting, and socially conscious as reasonably possible, so I'm interested in hearing your thoughts?
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Mark, I use only foam and multi layers of strapping and BiDi tape. Reason, It`s faster to build, lighter, and strong enough. Sometimes I use High Load 40 in front of the spar, and I`m currently using EPP on my SSCs cut by Roy Appleton. One thing is that my LEs are fairly blunt, so that helps spread out the impact load some too.
At the slower speeds and lighter weights of SSC, EPP has proven to hold up extreamly well. It gives and goes right back to shape.It also protects the spar from damage in all but the hardest LE hits.
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

I've just started cutting EPP for leading edges. I think it will be a real plus for all classes of combat. The usual situation is that you want to be stronger than the other guy so you come out with less damage than the other guy. With EPP LE you can survive and hopefully not do to much damage to the other guy as well!
slam

Post by slam »

mike.

i've been playing with a soft leading edge also. my problem is the spar. i have been fairly happy with the fiberglass rod spars but don't know how to incorporate them in a hybrid wing. what are you using for spars?

i used pine spars that were definately inadaquate.

slam
RH

Post by RH »

I use an 1/8" fiberglass rod taped into the LE of my 2mm coro SPAD wings. In a midair everything flexes, the tape keeps the coro from splitting and often I continue to fly. I have gone to a more robust spar set back far enough, hopefully, to not be broken by the contact. Recently I went wing to wing with, I think an Avenger, with a LE rod. We both spiraled down but the damage was very minimal to both wings. I think soft/flexible is key.

rh
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

I'm using fiberglass rods for spars the same as usual. I just cut of the first inch or so and replace it with EPP. I've put a fiberglass rod behind the EPP and I've also used a plastic strip behind the EPP. The strip is the stuff they use to strap things onto pallets. You can usually get all you want for free at anyplace that gets pallets with this stuff wrapped around it.