Snagging Flagging tape streamers

Here you'll find helpful hints on making your planes stronger.

Moderator: hbartel

Pat_Willcox

Snagging Flagging tape streamers

Post by Pat_Willcox »

Not many time will most pilots be needing to fly with flagging tape streamers thank goodness because it is hard to get other than prop cuts.<BR> I have a few wings with no armor and this weekend Volia this unprotected leading edge let the flagging tape slice right through and hang up on the spars, Neat. <BR>
montague

Post by montague »

You mean like this? This was taken at a contest out here in 2002! Nice to see you guys in TX catching up. [:D]

Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

With all of our beautiful flying weather, we don't get a lot of chances to use forestry tape[:D] Maybe this weekend at Bodenplotte ..[:(]
boiler

Post by boiler »

In the resources section there is a thread on how to make a flagging tape splitter. Any chance we could change the flagging tape rule for foul weather streamers to make them thinner so they might actually break when hit. I know water has no effect.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">4.7 Streamers and string are provided by the CD to ensure uniformity. Crepe paper and cotton string are recommended. Streamers will be thirty (30) feet long and no less than five-eighths (5/8) inches wide and no more than one (1) inch wide, attached to the model by a cotton string extending at least five (5') feet from the tail of the model. (At the discretion of the Contest Director, alternate streamer materials not meeting these specifications may be used if weather conditions prevent the use of standard streamer material).

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
The forestry tape we use is 1". The parenthetical statement at the end could be used to split the tape down to 1/2". I would be concerned about being able to see the streamer material at Open B distances. I have used 1/2" for electrics but that is a lot closer range flying.

Another supplier http://www.invplus.com/safety/catalog_safety_tape.htm appears to offer variable widths from 1" to 48" so you might want to order 2" and cut it down to three 5/8" streamers. However, the minimum order is $100.