Slope Combat in CO

Moderator: hbartel

Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

How`d you learn that little combat tip JJ? LOL

Wow! 27. Hard not to be an ace under those conditions.
jj

Post by jj »

Lee, Yeah I know it sounds dumb.

But you can take your eyes off of an SSC or Open B plane for a bit to line up on someone and know where to expect to see your plane when you look back. Heck AJ, remember AJ[;)] , used to launch, turn around, walk back to the pilot line and then turn back to start flying his plane. A stable SSC or B plane will stay on course for a while.

With this many airplane all up at once you can't take your eyes off your plane at all, especially when 90% are flying wings that look the same. also, the wind gusts can bounce the planes around a lot.

Another Big difference for slope combat. If you lose sight of your plane at this site, standard procedure is to put the stick in the corner for 30 seconds or so to make sure it crashes. these planes can take hundreds of crashes but if you just let it fly, you probably won't ever find the plane again.
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Wow! 27. Hard not to be an ace under those conditions.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<font size="2">Yeah, but remember that to score points, the "hit" plane has to go to ground. Just hitting someone doesn't count toward your "aceness" [;)]</font id="size2">
jj

Post by jj »

I know, I know.

There was a lot of bumpin' and I managed to keep my plane flying past some good hard knocks. But you also have to make sure you don't take yourself out in the process of downing another plane! Been there, done that. this is a riot. Not Open B, but still another great combat option, especially for those super windy days[:p]
jj

Post by jj »

I saw on another thread the Drewjet tried out slope combat so this is essentially a refresh of this thread. Been a bit cold to fly lately but it should warm up this weekend. One guy out here has a VR (Virtual reality) setup on his plane. You put on the VR glasses and fly it like you are in the plane. It has a camera in the nose and sends the video back to the VR receiver. Got to be Very intense (and expensive).

Still the sloper combat season is starting and the Super 77th dates are set for the 2008 event. I'll be there.
THend

Post by THend »

JJ, the guys who host that event also fly DS.

Ask them to take you along DSing some time.

At Poway, in San Diego, we will fly some DS laps and get speed, punch out and do oombat, then dive back in for some speed laps.

I'll say this, if you like speed, slope DS is the way to go. The record just got broken again, and it is 313 mph!

Slope combat is fun, but they don't know the half of it compared to what we fly.

th
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

Heck I have only gone sloping once so far. It was an absolute blast. I would love to try DS, But I just don't think we have the right kind of hills for it here in the flat lands of Florida.
jj

Post by jj »

Yeah, you need a special slope and winds for DSing. We've got that out here, big time.

a good Super Bee is an excellent ship for DSing as it has the chance for survival for when you get too low and lose it.

One of the guys out here is an amazing pilot who put together an areobatic video DSing one of those F3J thermal all composite painted in the mold gliders. He got it used very cheap but this is a 3 meter kevlar and carbon plane that is normally $1,500 without radio. He had it absolutely shredding the air. I was hiding behind a boulder as he was crossing over the back side at about 2 to 4 feet off the ground. This was amazingly.

Still the combat is a blast. I'm already signed up for the 2008 event at Williams peak.
jj

Post by jj »

BTW
The Super 77th event is 145 days away and so far we have 27 slope combat pilots signed up for the event.[:D]
jj

Post by jj »

OK, this is a big glider doing some DSing and aerobatics with Ian, the most awesome glider pilot I have EVER seen at the controls.

http://thud.us/videos/rc/ds-acro-contest5-q2.wmv

Karl was a nut in how he filmed this. Suffice to say we should have had portable wet vacs with us since any radio glitch would have been terminal.

Here is a 223 mph run with, I believe a moth.

http://thud.us/videos/rc/jones-extropus ... -sharp.wmv

And this is Karl flying an RC slope gliver via a VR camera that sends pictures back to his VR glasses. Yeah, I'm pretty sure he is on the ground flying looking through a set of VR glasses as he whizzes past some local Hang Gliders and Para Gliders.

http://thud.us/videos/rc/fpv-karl-zion1.wmv
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jj</i>
<br />And this is Karl flying an RC slope gliver via a VR camera that sends pictures back to his VR glasses. Yeah, I'm pretty sure he is on the ground flying looking through a set of VR glasses as he whizzes past some local Hang Gliders and Para Gliders.

http://thud.us/videos/rc/fpv-karl-zion1.wmv
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"><font size="2">
Interesting coincidence...we in Wisconsin also slope glide on a hill with a big "M" on it, in Platteville. Only ours is only 450 feet high [V]

I have "M" envy. Oh, well, it's better than nothing...still great fun! [:D]</font id="size2">
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

Dave, is that M an Upside down W for Wisconsin?

John, What are the rules for slope combat? It was just 3 of us and we started counting hits as 1 point for each guy, and 1 point if you could loop or roll within 10 seconds of contact and one point if the other guy was knocked out of the air.
jj

Post by jj »

Rules are 1 point if you take the other plane out without taking yourself out in the process. Take out means they hit the ground. If they recover before hitting the ground there is no point scored. I believe the rules are on the www.super77th.com web site.

The M on Lookout Mountain is for the "School of Mines". Platteville, WI is where Da Bears practice, right?
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jj</i>
<br />The M on Lookout Mountain is for the "School of Mines". Platteville, WI is where Da Bears practice, right?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<font size="2">Exactly right, jj. From the write-up in Wikipedia for Univ of WI - Platteville, your mountain may be higher, but our "M" is bigger!
</font id="size2">
<font size="1"><font color="maroon">As for unique celebrations by UWP students, the biggest one is the twice-annual lighting of the "M." The "M" resides on a nearby large hill, north-east of the city of Platteville. The "M" is the largest "M" in the world and is actually visible from space. It was created in 1936 by the mining students with the "M" standing for mining. Today, due to the fact that mining engineering is no longer offered in the curriculum at UWP, the "M" is now maintained by a some UWP faculty members and a group called Theta Tau [3]. Once a year, the "M" is whitewashed (not painted) to make it stand out. This used to be an all-engineering-students event, with the "M" being whitewashed from many buckets passed from student-to-student, followed by a cookout on the back patio of the engineering building. During the university's annual homecoming in the fall and after the "Miner's Ball" (also called "M-Ball") or after graduation in the spring, the "M" is lit. This is done with cans with a small amount of kerosene and a wick. The lit "M" can be seen for miles and is a popular event for local photographers. Also, once a year, another group, Sigma Phi Epsilon [4], lights the "M" with the cans set-up in a heart-shaped; called the "Burning Heart".</font id="maroon"></font id="size1">

<font size="2">What's with miners and "M's"...is that the only part of the word "miner" they can spell? [;)]</font id="size2">
jj

Post by jj »

Well bad news for Wisconsin (I think they just got drunk on Old Style beer and put the W upside down) as that cajun Favre decided to hang it up and retire.

Even worse news though for the Bears. They re-signed Grossman.

Return to “Everything about slopers and slope combat”