HOTLANTA

tell everyone the results of your combat related event!

Moderator: hbartel

grasshpr

HOTLANTA

Post by grasshpr »

Here's the few pics I was able to take to start the thread off.

Thanks very much to Don Pruit and the Hilltop Fliers for (as usual) hosting a well run and enjoyable contest. The club support was outstanding and allowed us to go all up with as many as 10 at once!

Don demonstrated some pretty fast foot work when one got away from me on launch and came back over the safety line. I had no idea he could move that quickly!

It was plenty hot for this Hotlanta, but the heat didn't stop us from having a great time, thanks again Hilltop!

Drewjet and I flew a 1 on 1 2548 demo for the group at lunch time and there was a good deal of interest shown in his all electric stuff.

Ted Cwikiel also came up from Fla. but he obviously wasn't paying attention during our "Team Florida" brefing because about 2 minutes into round one he nailed me so hard I lost my plane altogether and proceeded to fly his out of the mid-air.

It was coming for a wings level deadstick aproach before I realized it didn't look quite right and it wasn't really listening when I tried to turn final. My judge confirmed the fact that mine had been the "other" plane and it was in his words "broke".

Congrats to all and good to see you again. I'll let Don post his official results for those following it.

boiler

Post by boiler »

Looks like my prediction came to pass. A Florida boy beat the Georgia girls.[;)]
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

Georgia may be the center of the SSC Universe, but it is obvious that the talent comes from Florida! Congrats to Chris for Top honors, and Dawg for a valiant 2nd place, and Stan for 4th. That handsome devil in Third would be me!

Thanks to Don and all the Hilltopers for the warm hospitality. A great event at a SSC friendly club. I only had to judge the first round to help train a club volunteer, after that it was all club judges, and boy it sure was nice. 10 up at once and streamers were there to be had. A couple guys found the "TREES" but I don't think any real damage was caused by them.

Thanks Don for supplying Trophies instead of Plaques, now I got to build a shelf for my new Hardware
Don Pruitt

Post by Don Pruitt »

Sorry for the delay in getting the debrief online but my DSL went down on Sat. and didn’t come back up until late Sunday night. It has gone down about once an hour all day today.

Friday afternoon we got a good thunderstorm that went through with about 50-60 mph winds that almost took the roof off the shed. But it cleared by Sat. morning and it turned into a typical August day at the Hill Top club, hot and humid.

We had 12 hardy souls show up to do battle and it was a good mix of experienced flyers and one new first time combater.

Dave Eaton, the club president, did a great job in lobbying the club membership and got 13 club members to come out and help with the judging. As it turned out that was a contest saver when we could go all up instead of flying two small heats per round.

There were some good scores posted with Drewjet getting a 7 cut round and Dave McGinnis and Stanley Harrison getting a 6 cut round each and Chris Handegard consistently chalking up 3’s 4’s and 5’s.

Click here for full size
http://home.earthlink.net/~dppruitt/sit ... _group.jpg

Here is the group picture with the starting lineup. L-R Glen Shonkwiler, Curtis Lenz, Dave Eaton, Mike McGinnis, Dave McGinnis, Brady Wood, Don Grissom, Ted Cwikiel, Andrew "Drewjet" Stanley, Chris Handegard, Allen Mollyhorn, Wayne "The Shark" Voyles, Stanley "The Colonel" Harrison

First time flyer Allen Mollyhorn,(center) asking a few questions at the pilots meeting.

All the rest of the guys at the pilots meeting.

Here is club member Bill Radford assisting spectator Mike Ulik get a closer look at the planes. Club president Dave Eaton is giving details on construction and answering questions.

Yours truly getting some help from the computer gurus Caleb Billingsley and Don Grissom as they get the printer set up to print out heat cards

We started the day with two heats of six and by round three we started having some dropouts from the guys that only brought one plane. With mid-airs always taking down a couple of planes each heat we had a quick meeting and with a show of hands decided that with club judges we could fly all up for the rest of the day. So in round four we started with eleven per heat. The all up heats provided a target rich environment which was reflected in the scores. After round four we took a break for lunch and tallied the scores. The top four leaders were:

1) Dave McGinnis 1480
2) Chris Handegard 1260
3) Andrew “Drewjetâ€
Ben Morrow

Post by Ben Morrow »

How Bout them Gators!!! WOOOOOOOOW!! Way ta go Chris and Drew, Great Scores, 1st place finish,3rd place and not to mention you warning DAWG about eating those words in the "Upcoming Event Section"!! [:D][:D] Sorry DAWG, Just a little FUN shot but Grasshopper did warn ya! [:D] There's always next time. But hey, 2nd place?? Not bad at all! Congrats buddy!

You guys had a great turnout![:)][:p]

A BIG Congrats to ALL the winners, sounds like a FUN contest for sure.

Just wish I could have been there to join in on the fun.[}:)]

Don,Dave, Those club members helping out I'm sure helped a ton. 10 up at times. Now that's fun I don't care who ya are.

Hats off to ALL, Good Job and a fun contest i'm sure! Just don't get any better....
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Great write up! Congrats to Chris ... shows that consistency is important!

Looks like another terrific event for the Hilltop Gang[:D]

Drewjet, let's hear a little more about your Hellcat, please!
Ben Morrow

Post by Ben Morrow »

OH yea, One more thing,,,, Great debrief and pictures! Thanks.. When you're stuck home wanting to make a meet, the debrief is all we at home "The Losers" have to go by and enjoy!

Seems some now days think the conests debrief don't mean much along with good pictures for all to see, IT Means a LOT!!

Thanks!
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ed Kettler</i>
<br />

Drewjet, let's hear a little more about your Hellcat, please!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

It is basically an upsized version of my 3696 plane. I used it at last Bushwacked, but was only making 13,500 RPM and it was slow. I have since changed motors and batteries. I now easily make 14,500 (closer to 16000) but am 10 ozs overweight. In the flying with Grasshopper I felt still a tad slow but much closer in competitiveness, and feel if it were at weight it wouldn't be an issue. I am happy with the motor and ordered another one for my 2548 Mustangs. If you want more details, I can start another thread.
Dawg

Post by Dawg »

Thanks to everyone for making the trip to Hot Hilltop. I did predict Chris' win Sat-urday morning. Man, I hate when I am right... [:p] What a great day of Combat. Can't wait till next time.

Thanks to Don P and all the Hilltop volunteers for giving of your time to make this a fantastic day.