Has Anybody Built A Mig 3 for 2548 Combat?

All things related to 2548 Scale

Moderator: hbartel

o1moregil

Has Anybody Built A Mig 3 for 2548 Combat?

Post by o1moregil »

Has Anybody Built A Mig 3?
I been thinking a lot about building this plane for 2548, but the only thing holding me back is the way the wings are, they run flat to the middle of the wings and come up in about 10 degree to the tip of the wings,like dihedral but starting from them middle of each wing.

can I start the dihedral from the middle of the wing?
If I built one with a plain straight wing will it qualify for combat?
is there a reason we haven't seen sombody built one here in the forums?

I built the Dave West coromig7 a cupple years ago and I had a blast with it.

[:D] had to edit , my spelling is not better this morning
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

I just converted a 3 view drawing to a dxf file, and I sized the wings to 48 inches and it gives me a 40 1/5 inch fuse from nose to tail, looks purty big to me, is this normal? is this about the size of a mustang, zero etc?
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

That's about right Gil, a lot of it depends on how long the fuse was orignally compared to the span. The Mustang has a longish fuse, but the Zero is pretty short, depending on the model. My old Yak had a long fuse in relation to it's span, too. The original Mig had a small wingspan in relation to it's fuse, so it will have a long fuse, as will a Yak-3, LA-5, etc..

Cash
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

I haven't built one for 2548, but have the airframe for a 3696 cut, and have the templates cut for a 2548 version. If you haven't seen a 2548 plane in person, they are pretty large compared to the little 32-36" planes I'm used to. My first templates were for an FW-190, and I resized them twice to make sure I didn't screw up somewhere.

On my 3696, I left it with a standard dihedral wing. I plan to work on the polyhedral style wing though, as I like being a little different, and it's one of the things that appeal to me about this plane. The JK Areotech kits are designed with a typical dihedral wing, and are legal for 2610 as far as I know.

The fuse length sounds about right. My templates are a little under that, but I have to enlarge them using photoshop, so it's understandable we'd come up slightly different.

Beautiful plane, though. Looks more like a sleek racer than a fighter...
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

The easiest way I found to do the polyhedral wing is to assemble your wing with no deihedral-is flat on the table. Mark where your polyhedral will begin, then cut the wing there. Shim the wingtip up the desired amount, with the root section at the edge of a table, counter, building board, etc. Start sanding with your sanding block until you get the proper angle sanded in.

I have a handheld foam cutter I picked up from Hobby Lobby that works well at cutting the angle in without sanding. Just have to be careful not to let the heat eat too much foam.
THend

Post by THend »

Dave Drowns from So Cal has absolutely MASTERED the Mig for combat. He has 2610 and 2548 versions, along with SSC version...oh, I forgot to mention he uses them for Open B too.

It is the only plane he flies, and he is darn good with it. He has taken first place in SSC more than anyone out here, and did it all with his SSC Mig.
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

I compared the mig and the Mustang with my software, and the mustang is one inch longer fuse, I guess I will start construction on the mig
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Allright GIL!! You get that sucker built, and you will be a member of the vaunted 12TH Pursuit Squadron of the Repblic of Texas Air Force!! (12THPS/ROTAF) We look forward to having you serve with us..

From the Commander
Col Cash Hargett
12th Pursuit Squadron/ROTAF
Cross Check

Post by Cross Check »

Hi o1moreqil,

Some Mig-3s have been built here for Maac Scale Combat at 40in. span using a scaled down Dave West Mig-7 wing. It helps to have more washout to keep from snapping out of high-G turns. Seems narrow rounded tip wings need more washout than square tips.

Have a look at other Russian designs.(Yaks, La-7s etc.) If you are scaling to 48in span, the same basic wing can be used for quite a few Russian WW2 fighters.

Best of luck with your project.

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

[:D]YES CASH SIR!!, you always crack me up budy!

I finish printing the plans for the fuse I'll get busy tonight. It looks even bigger printed

o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

thanks guys!, I'll start the fuse tonight
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Nice one, Gil! Looking forward to seeing your handiwork!
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

I have printed out the 3 views for a Mig for 2548, but haven't started to work on it as of yet.

Looking forward to seeing it.
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

Cool, look forward to seeing it.

I found a great page for Mig 3 info and color schemes. I really like some of the schemes for the German captured migs...

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/mig3.html#colors
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

thanks Nick, this is gonna be very helpful