Why SSC??

Any SSC class topic can be discussed here.

Moderator: hbartel

M. Gillette

Why SSC??

Post by M. Gillette »

I'm new to the Combat Arena and fly Limited B, and Open B. I've been to one event and am hooked. I've looked over the event schedule and found Open to be very limited and SSC to have the lions share of rounds at many events. Being from the Detroit area there are many events I could attend to fly 3-6 rounds of Limited B, then watch SSC or go home.

Or build 3-5 SSC air frames and jump in & shake it! I'm already on the cusp of calling Dr. Evil and ordering a batch. I just need that last little push to assure me it's just as much fun as Open and Limited B.

G.
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

Mike,

SSC is a blast! It's slower so there's more pursuit chasing than chance cuts in the middle of the furball. The planes are very durable and becuase of the speed they are easier to handle and usually last a long time.

As to building 3-5 planes, I'd say 3 is plenty. Although I travel with 3 planes, if I've had to revert to the 3rd airframe, it's been long enough ago that I can't remember. In SSC contests you should be fine with 3 airplanes.

Did I mention the .15-size engines are cheaper? [;)]
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

SSC is great. One of the things I like about it is the fact that the power is not unlimited. You have to manage your speed much better than in Open B. You can't just yank and bank, you can't just go vertical or you will run into trouble. And it's the cheapest class (other than 3696) to go electric.
boiler

Post by boiler »

In SSC you can really beat Scott Gilkey![;)] The pit boy can't get his engine running better than everone else's. It's a lot like limited B but with less damage and more challenging on wise use of available energy.
M. Gillette

Post by M. Gillette »

Looks like I'm going ot break into SSC and make the commitment to build at least 3 SSC Phenceposts for this season. I'm looking at using Magnum .15 XL-S engines.

If anyone has any advise, I'd like to hear it!
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by M. Gillette</i>
<br />If anyone has any advise, I'd like to hear it
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Try the OS LA-15! [:D]
M. Gillette

Post by M. Gillette »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Alex Treneff</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by M. Gillette</i>
<br />If anyone has any advise, I'd like to hear it
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Try the OS LA-15! [:D]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Ok, If anyone has any GOOD advise[:o)]
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

The new Magnums are still a bit of a question mark! I broke down and bought a couple but haven't ran them yet. From what I hear the problem is slowing them down enough to be legal! With the LA you'll usually be pretty close but may need to work at getting up to the limit. Pick your poisen!
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

rI ran the new mag last year and in my last event I ran 5 percent nitro, I was still over but not near as much..

Cash
tiger_musky

Post by tiger_musky »

Mike,

It's funny how things change. Not too long ago when someone would have an engine question it would almost start a war about how to set up the LA, bladder vs. clunk, attached needle valve vs. remote ... I kind of miss those days.

Being a relative neophyte to combat, I would go with the O.S. LA. Trenoffrc.com has a great *.pdf you can download that tells you specifically how to set this engine up. I've used their method and it gave me 17.5K as soon as the break-in procedure was complete. I highly recommend replacing the the back plate and muffler bolts with hex bolts. Also, follow their method on how seal up the back plate. My two cents...

Nate
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tiger_musky</i>
<br />Mike,
Being a relative neophyte to combat, I would go with the O.S. LA. Trenoffrc.com has a great *.pdf you can download that tells you specifically how to set this engine up. I've used their method and it gave me 17.5K as soon as the break-in procedure was complete. I highly recommend replacing the the back plate and muffler bolts with hex bolts. Also, follow their method on how seal up the back plate. My two cents...
Nate
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Here is the PDF that Nate is referring to. Following this simple procedure, we've never had an LA that wouldn't easily hit 17,500.
http://www.treneffrc.com/LA-15%20Clunk% ... ecrets.pdf
M. Gillette

Post by M. Gillette »

Thanks for the link Alex.
For me the issue is bearings vs bushings. I'm not a big fan of bushed engines and air bleed carbs. I can make them run, just dont want to deal with it. On paper the Magnum in this case looks to be the superior power plant. My thoughts were to set them up with the OS RNV off the bat and run 5% fuel. I can always close the throttle if over the rpm limit.
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

you won't be disapointed with the magnum xls
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

If both engines will turn 17,500 then neither has a problem there. However bushing engines are actually good for combat becuase the bearings can be a weak point, rusting or going bad. The perception is that bearings are better than bushings, but in SSC it isn't so.

But the Magnum should work as well. [;)]
lightning

Post by lightning »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Alex Treneff</i>
<br />If both engines will turn 17,500 then neither has a problem there. However bushing engines are actually good for combat becuase the bearings can be a weak point, rusting or going bad. The perception is that bearings are better than bushings, but in SSC it isn't so.

But the Magnum should work as well. [;)]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Alex, I have 18 (yes eighteen) OS 25FXs with bearings. Never had a bad one and never had a bearing rust out. If the 15LAs ran like the 25FXs there would never have been the criticism of the LAs that there was, nor the bad taste in the mouth for some who wrestled with needle valves, carb inlets, backplates, mufflers etc. etc. I know I am not alone and my 15LA experience got me very close to quitting SSC.