Defiant

If it flew combat between 1935 and 1955, here's the place to talk about it!
Also a great place to talk about Competition!

Moderator: hbartel

redfred1

Defiant

Post by redfred1 »

Here is a pic of my new Boulton Paul Defiant...It flies pretty well at ~44" and a couple of pounds. Uses Magnum 25 for go.

We are still flying club type combat here in central NC. A little chilly/windy today, but we had 7 brave souls show up for several rounds of 15 and 25 size combat! Scale is definately the class that draws the most participants.

Later!

FredD
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Cool Fred, I LIKE the Defiant..they had some pretty cool nightfighter schemes too..

Cash
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Fred:

I like it! It appears to be a foam and tape model, did you do your own plans or did you find plans somewhere?

Tinman
redfred1

Post by redfred1 »

Yes, It is foam and tape...two hardwood dowels for the crutch.

I used the top and side views of a three view and band sawed/sanded to shape.

I usually hot wire round sections, but this was sorta slab sided, so I went with the band saw method...definately quicker!

FredD
THend

Post by THend »

Just for kicks, what kinda score would this plane get? I don't really know, as I don't know what this plane is, so judging it for me is tough.

REDFRED, I do like the plane though, looks like a WWII plane to me!

Do servos sticking out go against your score?
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

I think the score would depend on how many cuts the plane gets, since it`s not a 2548 plane. The servos sticking out can be a bonus. That`s only if the grab a streamer though.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lee Liddle.</i>
<br />I think the score would depend on how many cuts the plane gets, since it`s not a 2548 plane. The servos sticking out can be a bonus. That`s only if the grab a streamer though.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Lee,

The B-P Defiant is the first plane on the 2548 list. It was originally developed as a day fighter/bomber interceptor, but was unsuccessful once the Luftwaffe figured out it had no forward firing MGs, plus the turret and gunner added a lot of weight that reduced manuverability. it was pulled out of the day role, and became somewhat successful as an interim night fighter.

The outline looks pretty close, judging from the picture compared to a three view I have. Redfred would have to provide documentation that shows the solid green fuselage/wings and yellow tail; the ones I've seen in a day fighter configuration had the green/brown uppers and sky undersides, or a night fighter black. On the markings, the wing roundels appear to be too small and too far forward, but you would have to defer to the markings documentation.

Redfred, great job on getting this plane built! I look forward to hearing the flight test reports. Some minor work on colors and markings and you can have a great scoring, unusual, 2548 plane!

Best of luck!
Ed
redfred1

Post by redfred1 »

Sorry - it's not for 2548, although it would be pretty close with a little work... We only fly 2 classes here, .15 and .25 scale and open style, but no real rules. We are just happy to have some guys to fly with and try to keep it fun. We don't even count points for cuts.

The Color scheme I was going for is a target tug. Unfortunately, my brown/khaki spray paint cans went kaput, so I didn't bother with the camo. The lower fuse is yellow/black. Markings are generic Major Decals. Looks nice, flies great and is tough. Meets all the design requirements!

Thanks!

Fred
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Lee,

The B-P Defiant is the first plane on the 2548 list. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Ed,
Just because a plane is on the list, doesn`t make every model of it 2548 legal.[8D] Gotchya