SSC SPAD-STANG

SPAD Combat designs and discussions
For more, visit http://www.spadworld.net

Moderator: hbartel

spaddawg

SSC SPAD-STANG

Post by spaddawg »

For those of you looking to fly SSC and like to build SPAD's try building a COROSTANG and extend the wing out to 60"s.. You will love it!!
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

Very nice James. What's the all up weight.
spaddawg

Post by spaddawg »

Thanks Cajun!![:D]
It has the following hardware:

Engine: MAGNUM .15
Servos: (1) HS-311 Elevator, (3) HS-81mg Throt., Ail.
REC: Electron6
BATT: 4-cell 270mah NMH
Tank: 4oz Hayes
All up weight 2.7-lbs
Turns 16,500 on 15% Power Master Fuel with the MAS 8X3 blues!

It is a blast to fly!!
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

Man, that's light and interesting. A good looking warbird for SSC. I may have to try one (or two) for Paris.

Do you have any armor in the wing.
spaddawg

Post by spaddawg »

Nope no Armor in the wing. I will lay some BiDi Tape to the L.E. before combat but that is it! I am not to worried about damage! Unless K-9 is flying in the same heat as me. We have a habit of finding each other in the air!!! LOL!!
I will see how it fairs up against the COBRA's and the other War Birds this weekend at the Pearl Harbor Classic in SoCal. If it does well I will switch all my SSC stuff over to them.
If you try one Cajun I think you will love it!
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

If it flies as good as it looks, you've got a winner.

Post back here how it went in the SoCal meet.
RH

Post by RH »

Wow, that's a good looking SSC rig. Go give those Cobras heck. Look forward to hearing how it does.

rh
K9

Post by K9 »

Big Dawg, That banana stang sure looks good. It will even look better from the angle my little White Russian will be in. Right behind you.LOL You know we always seem to find each other in the sky. Just think when your coro stang and my coro mig meet it will be raining yellow snow. See ya tomorrow, K9 out.
spaddawg

Post by spaddawg »

Well the SPAD-STANG SSC bird flew great!! Got in some cuts with it for 2-rounds until a GO-Devil broke my motor mount off. 15-min. repair and she is back in action!! If you want a great flging SSC plane that looks good I would say you cant go wrong with building this one!!
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

Thanks for the report James.

A SSC SpadStang will be next on my to-do list. I guess a guy could put a stock 25 on it and fly it in Limited B and 2548 scale if he cut the wing back to 48".

Nothing looks better in combat than a warbird.[^]
Bill Goldberg

Post by Bill Goldberg »

Cool... So James, how do we get plans for the SSC SPAD-STANG?

...Bill
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

Bill, I haven't loooked lately, but they were in detail on the spadtothebone site.

Try http://www.spadtothebone.com/freeplans.htm
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

James, on your 60" wing, what lengths did you use for root and tip chord. The picture appears to be the plans spec 9"/5".

I am planning on building one this week with a foam core in the leading edge to spar. Been wanting to try this for a while, so now's a good time play with it. I should be able to do this and using a bladder instead of a tank, keep it under 3 lbs. The wing loading would be better at 2.7 lbs though.
spaddawg

Post by spaddawg »

The wing is 10" at the root and 6" at the tip. Double taper just like that of the 2610 version. The spar is 11/8" tall at the center and 1/2" at the tips. i will see if i can find the time to do up some specs this weekend. Firewall is 1/4" ply and the rear former in the fuselage just behind the wing is 4mm coro gooped inplace to keep the weight down but still keep it nice and strong. I set the CG at 28% to keep it quick on the turns. For the first flight you might want to set it at 25% and adjust from there. As for the flutes in the fuselage I did not cut them out I just scored them with a screw driver. This makes the fuselage much stronger and keeps it from flexing so much when you grab a hold of it. You will need to cut a little off the nose coro until it lines up with the front of your motor. Other than that, go build one and have fun with a scale SSC bird that flys as good as it looks!!

Return to “Simple Plastic Airplane Designs (SPAD)”