Broken Digital Trim Switch

Here's the place to chat about radios, transmitter, receivers, batteries, and everything related to your radio gear.

Moderator: hbartel

Lou Melancon

Broken Digital Trim Switch

Post by Lou Melancon »

I guess when I fly combat I push to hard on the digital trim buttons. I went to change aileron trim on my transmitter and pushed the switch right through the case.

Those who know me know I am electrically challenged but this time I had to do something because you can't test fly new planes if you can't trim them out. I opened the tranmsitter case and found that the stanchion on the outboard side of the trim switch had broken off. When pushing on the switch it simply bent downwards and would not change settings.

The stanchion is made of plastic and gluing back in place might have worked but it was in an awkward location and I really didn't trust that glue would hold.

The final solution turned out to be simple if somewhat crude. I drilled out the screw hole in the circuit board the size of a 4/40 bolt and drilled it through the front of the transmitter case. A long 4/40 was run from the front of the case through the circuit board and secured with a nylon washer and locknut. Works pretty darn good!
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

I went to change aileron trim on my transmitter and pushed the switch right through the case.

LOu, you gotta learn to relax!!! Repeat after me.....HHUUMMMMMMMMMM(deap breath) HHUUUMMMMMmmm (deap breath) HHuummmm (deap breath) hhuummmm [|)]
THend

Post by THend »

Bilinski dropped a door he used as a portable bench on his transmitter! Shoved the gimbals right into the case! Man, I lauged so hard as the contest was over. He had it repaired and still uses it to this day.

I still prefer the mechanical trims on my Prism7x compared to the digital trims on my Eclipse. With mechanical, you kinda know how far you have gone...

Lou, box it up and ship it out for repair, but then I guess you already know this.

Want to have fun, in the old days I would modify a Tx to use with a PC..well no don't LOL!
NAES

Post by NAES »

Always cool with the digi trims and you go to trim in a little up or right or whatever and you got nothing left.

I think it was an airtronics radio I saw that had a little bar graph on the LCD screen that let you know where you were.

I sure wish me eclipse had that.

NAES
ptsullivan

Post by ptsullivan »

My Fut 9C has that but I am not about to take my
eyes off the sky to inspect my trim tabs. The
9C is definitly nicer than my old 6X but I am
going to miss parts (not all) of the conventional
trims.