PAINTING BI-DI

Share your ideas on finishing, painting, markings and making your plane look its best!

Moderator: hbartel

jfromm

PAINTING BI-DI

Post by jfromm »

What type of paint works best for painting bi-directional tape? My paint keeps falling off.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Skuff the tape with steel wool and mabe dust it with 77 before painting.
PROPPY JON

Post by PROPPY JON »

use plastic primer paint first rustoluim brand white !!!!!![:D] any good modeler knows this !!!!!
slam

Post by slam »

i've been using the krylon fusion right over the tape. it seems to be sticking very well. only problem is i don't know if it is fuel proof. i have been using it on my electrics.

the fusion can be found at wally world in a bunch of colors. it is made to paint on plastic. the primer works great too.

slam
Cross Check

Post by Cross Check »

Jay,
I scuff it up with 220 paper, then wipe it down with acetone(damp paper towel) I do it outside.

I use exterior latex thinned with windshield washer fluid. Sticks pretty good. Can handle exhaust oil, but does not like raw fuel...

I really like the 'no stink' and soap water clean up...

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cross Check</i>
<br />Jay,
I scuff it up with 220 paper, then wipe it down with acetone(damp paper towel) I do it outside.

I use exterior latex thinned with windshield washer fluid. Sticks pretty good. Can handle exhaust oil, but does not like raw fuel...

I really like the 'no stink' and soap water clean up...

Take care,
Have fun,
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

What is it about the windshield fluid that makes it good for diluting paint? I've hear that referred to before but never a reason why?
redfred1

Post by redfred1 »

The washer fluid evaporates quickly and the stuff helps to "wet out" and make the paint flow easier, I guess by breaking the surface tension...
Best reason to use it? Its CHEAP!

Kinda like me!

FredD
Cross Check

Post by Cross Check »

Hi Which Way,

I'm not sure, but I think it is an alcohol/water mix.
(No ingrediants listed but says 'may cause blindness if swallowed')

It seems to make the latex 'flow out' and dry uniflormly. Thinned to milk concistancy you can spray or brush on thin light coats.

What I like is any colour I mix lasts along time in a jar. The latex sinks to the bottom and the washer fluid floats on top. I've got one jar that is 5 years old and it is still good ! When repairing the colours match up really well.(hard to match that nice hand rubbed cator oil 'patina' though ! hehehe)
For my WW1 S.P.A.D VII I have tried acrylic poster paint mixed with clear(neutral) latex base. Almost any colour acrylic is 2oz. for a buck at a Dollar store. My 9 colour paintjob weighs less than 2oz. on a 42in span biplane. I'm letting it dry for a week before test flying.

Some say that you should let latex dry for awhile but I have painted a plane 4hrs before a match (several times!) and it turned out fine...

The only drawback I can find is latex does not like raw fuel.

I'm exprimenting on getting the latex to stick to Packing tape. It sticks well to PETE pop bottle cowls sanded to 220.

It reminds me of my old 'silk and dope' control line days...
Without the stink ! And I can washup with soap and water !

Take care, have fun,
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

Dave, thanks for the info. How thin can you dilute it? 50/50 or more? I'm thinking for an air brush.
Cross Check

Post by Cross Check »

Hi Which Way,

I guess it is around 50/50. I go for 'milk consitancy' where it drips easily from the stir stick...
I use a cheap single action airbrush with an old Binks compressor that puts out 20/30PSI
Because the latex wants to settle to the bottom you have to stir the paint in the pot every 3-4min or so...
I can get a 1/2-3/4in wide spray pattern when I 'get it right'.
Try for a fine mist rather than 'too blobby'. It will run if you put it on too thick..
If I am painting a wing I start at one wingtip and put on a thin coat. By the time I get done the tip I started on is dry enough to contiue with another thin coat...Letting the washer fluid evaporate off is the key...2-3 coats is all it takes usually...
If you have to stop spraying for a while, rinse the airbrush clear with water.
I clean the airbrush with acetone when done. It loosens the latex great.
I find it sprays easier on humid days rather than 'dry' ones...

Lately I am finding that I can get good results with a nice quality 3/4in brush. 2-3 thin coats are only slightly heavier than spraying.
(A slightly thicker mix than for spraying)

One nice thing is if I screw up, all I have to do is wipe it off with a damp rag and try again...

I have been using exterior 'semi gloss' latex.

Still trying to get it to stick to packing tape...

Take care, have fun,
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
redfred1

Post by redfred1 »

I have used it with a 10 to 20 percent washer fluid ratio to paint and use a foam rubber brush. Works quick and cleans up fast. Just thin it enough to get a nice level coat, usually a single coat is enough. Dries in a short time. I have used Semi Gloss WBP to protect it and the decals from the fuel.

FredD
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

There is also a product called Flotrol. Not to sure on the spelling of the name. It's a latex paint conditioner and does make the paint flow a lot better. I paint with a fine haired brush and if your a bit carefull you don't get any brush marks. The stuff is thick in the bottle but when you mix it with the latex it gets a lot thinner. Not to sure how! They usually have it at major paint places.