Irvine .25

Tell us what you do to get the best performance from your engines.

Moderator: hbartel

David E.

Irvine .25

Post by David E. »

Hi
I bought an Irvine .25 with a perry carb online. I can't get it to run. It will start with plenty of prime but as that runs out it dies because it isn't sucking fuel. I checked the tank lines and needle valve but still no fuel flow. I checked the muffler and found no baffle but I am not familiar with Irvine and am new to combat. Any help will help. Thanks in advance

David
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

I would guess the carb is plugged either with congealed fuel or debris. If it's a two-needle carb, back the high speed needle valve out, open the cab barrel all the way, and back the low-speed needle out (BTW, if that is in too far, it will choke off fuel flow too...). Put your finger over the fuel nipple and spray air-in-a-can or gumout thru the HS needle hole. Then put your finger over the HS needle hole and spray in thru the fuel nipple. Put the HS needle back in all the way, then back out three turns. Close the carb barrel until it is open just a crack, like it would be at idle. Hook up a piece of fuel tubing to the fuel nipple and blow into it gently (hear the hissing air) while screwing in the idle needle. When you hear the air stop hissing, back out the idle needle about 1/4 turn. This will be close for starters.

If it's a true Perry carb with an idle mixture disk, just put the disk in the center position between max rich and lean. The Perry has a teeny teeny slit for idle fuel metering and it is prone to clogging. blow it out with air or gumout, or even better, remove the spraybar assembly (remove the HS needle, then take off the spring and e-clip, the spray bar slides out)

good luck