Combat Growth in CO

Moderator: hbartel

jj

Combat Growth in CO

Post by jj »

All,

I've just noticed a trend here in Colorado. It appears we are growing combat participation, particularly in Open B. SSC has had a hard time getting going at all given the altitude issues, but now it seems SSC has gained critical mass although juat barely.

This may be hard to notice on the national level because we only hold about 4 or 5 sanctioned, NPS events. But there is at least one combat event per month and a good bunch of our pilots also fly pylon as well.

The key contributors for this are George Kerr, Tom Neff and Marv Ferdig. These 3 keep the contests going at Mile-Hi, Airpark Elite and Sterling. While we've lost a few pilots along the way, we've also picked a few more up and have had higher participation in 2005 at events than we've had in prior years.

What is also interesting is that there is a larger mix of people at the top. In 03 or 04 the final contest of the year might decide who got third place for COCOA, but 1st and 2nd were already out of reach. I'm not so sure if that will hold true in 05. If I don't get my butt to a few more contests I could lose my lock on 2nd place[:p]

Just wanted to let people know that some persistence and consistency of events here in Colorado is attracting some new pilots while keeping a rotating, but steady base of regulars for Open B.
The Snake

Post by The Snake »

Well i hope that you can draw some more out of town flyers like the past. I have been busy, but love flying at your sites!
Palomar is cutting it December event too one day because of the time of the year and the low turn out at times. I feel we need too make a 2-day event in the summer, not the winter. Open B is the best here and SSC is doing great now. Hope scale will stay forever too!!
jj

Post by jj »

Hey Snake, you're always welcome out here at Mile-Hi.

I know things get busy and you can't make every contest every year but hopefully you can make it out this way either later this year or next year. We have a few new recruits that you need to meet.

This has been a busy year for me with some family matters back in Chicago. I miss a couple of contests and all of a sudden I'm at the low end of the COCOA score board. Glad to hear B and SSC are doing well out your way.
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

Hi JJ,
As for the future of combat in Colorado, I try and promote it as BEST I can.

And I know of 1 new recruit if we dont kill him in the AIR too soon.
And another waiting his turn at the club level.
So we have 2 more awaiting there turn, at the club level.

By the way SNAKE thanks, for not wining the Avenger last year at the National event here at Mile Hi.
It has seen its time in the air and [:(] on the ground.

Just a note while im passing thru the threads[:D]
Cya in Sterling JJ [}:)]

Frank S
adamdb

Post by adamdb »

JJ,
I agree. I am always in for Open B, and having now flown (and won) my first SSC match I'm hooked on SSC too. I hope we can start getting the kind of participation in SSC that we have in Open B. I thought the SSC match at Air Park was the most fun I have ever had flying combat. Nice tight furballs, evenly matched planes, and I flew away from two wing-to-wing midairs without a scratch.

Unfortunately I can't make Sterling tomorrow, but will be there for all the rest of the local matches.

Adam
thojo

Post by thojo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">George Kerr, Tom Neff and Marv Ferdig<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

You guys need to be commended for keeping combat alive in Colorado, thanks for all your hard work and dedication!
The Snake

Post by The Snake »

Oh yes, many great memories for my times there. Battling it out with some of the top flyers too. Open B and scale in 2003, with all in 2004. I have been working too hard this year at my job. Had too missed too many events this year! Even been working strait for the last 20 days and it will not end till July 1st.
[:(]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jj</i>
<br />Hey Snake, you're always welcome out here at Mile-Hi.

I know things get busy and you can't make every contest every year but hopefully you can make it out this way either later this year or next year. We have a few new recruits that you need to meet.

This has been a busy year for me with some family matters back in Chicago. I miss a couple of contests and all of a sudden I'm at the low end of the COCOA score board. Glad to hear B and SSC are doing well out your way.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

Hello ALL ,

Adam you may get your WISH, Quad flew HIS 1st SSC , too 3rd place[8D]
He thought it was fun. And more of a challenge too keep that thing flying. ( didnt fair well in open B ).

Any who will see how things go for SSC future.

Frank S.
RH

Post by RH »

Sheesh, how did I over look this thread! I love SSC and would like to commend George, Tom and Marv for their efforts in promoting combat in our area. Thanks guys!!

rh
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

A BIG HAND should go out too Tom Neff, for finding some NEW pilots that were flying at another club.
They really didnt no the rules of play. But today they recieved there 1st lesson.

It was a good turn out for a Saturday club meet. And some good practice for Tom who is heading for the NATS.
Good luck Tom.

Frank

Return to “Trends in Participation”