2548 underway in Western Australia..

All things related to 2548 Scale

Moderator: hbartel

zeek

2548 underway in Western Australia..

Post by zeek »

http://combat.kwiz.biz/viewtopic.php?t=45

We have started on our way toward a 2548 scale class down here. At this stage due to low numbers this will probably be just for demo's at displays and after regular SSC rounds.

Any hints/suggestions would be welcome!
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Great job Zeek! To make it easier to tod the horizontal slice, I do it before I cut the fuselage shapes. In essence, I have an upper and lower block that mke up the fuselage ... it is easier to cut that way.

What are you planning to use for a cructch and engine mount?

Ed
zeek

Post by zeek »

I think my ol' buddy chopper is going to use the two-rail technique on that P51. I am going to use the HDPE mount and arrow shaft method when I start my P40.
chopper

Post by chopper »

Our first attempt of a P51 2548 plane ready for its maiden flight Downunder in Western Australia. The first of many we hope
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Nice looking Mustang, Chopper! What does she weigh? Please keep us posted on the flight operations!

Ed
zeek

Post by zeek »

I had the IMMENSE pleasure of flying choppers 2548 P51 and I have to say it was a delight.

AUW is 5 pounds, power by LA.25 and swinging a 9 x 4 tornado nylon prop. With such a high wing load, lowere revs and flexible prop combo, we get great scale flying characteristics coupled with good climb performance. Speed is at about SSC standard.

Aircraft is maneuvrable but will snap when taken to extremes - just like the SSC ships. Rolls, loops and turns are smooth as silk and look VERY effective in the air.

After viewing Mike Wilcox's Paris DVD I would say that speed is much less than the 2548 flown in competition in the USA - but thats just what we were aiming for! SSC speeds in a larger, more scale like airframe that can take the knocks and stay alive. I think that with some weight reduction and the addition of a rudder and U/C this could be an excellent sports aircraft as well.

Our next crop of 2548's are due out of the workshop in a couple of weeks (courtesy of Hat-Trick) so we will see how they compare with the home grown machine. Then its time for combat!