span and chord?

SPAD Combat designs and discussions
For more, visit http://www.spadworld.net

Moderator: hbartel

goony

span and chord?

Post by goony »

hi guys, i've built my NEW spad but im a bit concerned about the chord size? its got a 4ft span and 1ft chord and it seems very slow in the air motor is an MDS28 on M/S 8X6 so would the wide span ADD too much DRAG? should I trim it down to maybe 8inches?

its got a prepreg carbon fibre and nomex spar and the same for the fuss!!!
can 1 of you post some pics for me as im crap at this sort of thing please

goony
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Goony,
Send your photos to me and I will post them for you georgiacombat@yahoo.com
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Here are Goony's photos:

Cajun

Post by Cajun »

Try a couple of different size props and see what happens. I'd try a 9x4 and a 9x5.

My weekend flat bats have a 11" constant cord wing and are plenty fast on .25s.

Your design is,,,,uh,,,,,,different, but novel. I wish we still had some more guys experimenting with Spads for combat.
goony

Post by goony »

I flew it today but it was far too windy i tried a 9x4 kavan bendy yellow prop but as i said it was too windy to tell really

goony
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

I second Cajun on the 9x4, I have an old mds .25 black head with a 9x4 on one of my corostangs, the sucker screems, i reduce the baffel with a dremel, ( on this muffler you can't take the baffle like an OS , you have to grind it} this made a huge diffrence.
Gilbert
Thaman

Post by Thaman »

to me it is a flying wing. i needs the wide chord for the wing area to make it stable
RH

Post by RH »

Glad to see your SPAD flying wing, Thaman. You might try the APC 9x3 combat prop. I've been using them on my SPADs although they are long wings they fly pretty fast. Keep working on that design. I'd like to see more guys go back to flying their own designs instead of buying the hottest current kit....but that's just me, I guess. I have several foam wing kits sitting around and I just can't quit tinkering with my SPADs. Sure makes me grin when I'm cuttin those kit guys!

rh
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

Randy, I totally concur[8D]

I'm still a Spadaholic at heart and would love to see more guys experimenting with Spads for combat. If the airframe parameters for Lim B were set properly we would see a lot of new guys getting involved in combat with Spads. Unfortunately, the parameters, as they exist now, were selected so guys could continue flying their Open B and SSC planes in the new class.[:(]

My Lim B planes will all be Flat Bat Spads with coro or coro/foam wings. These planes fly well with any of the .25 engines. and building time and effort are minimal.[:)]
Splash 1

Post by Splash 1 »

Hey Steve, Nice to see you over here, at least you got one cut with it, shame they all called it the flying Barn Door hehe, it was a brave design Mate we need more of them keep it up!

Return to “Simple Plastic Airplane Designs (SPAD)”